Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am right eye dominant. Targets Crossing from left side to right side never look right to me and I will shoot them way way past the stake. Need help to describe that. In skeet they just never get that “shoot it now” sight picture.

Reactions: Charlie Becknell

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Have you tried using a "dot" or piece of scotch tape on your left lens to take that eye out of the picture? I am assuming you are shooting right handed also.

·
Registered
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,069 Posts
Is your barrel blocking the target for your dominant eye? This can be the sensation your describing. May be cross dominance or may be that you are blocking your dominant eye.

If looking at target, should look the same. What your peripheral vision sees is what changes with cross dominance (looks like you’re looking at the side of your gun).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried using a "dot" or piece of scotch tape on your left lens to take that eye out of the picture? I am assuming you are shooting right handed also.
Yes, it really distracted me and I kept trying to look over it

Reactions: grizquad

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
If you are trying to look around your dot, it is either too small or in the wrong spot. Try closing your off eye, and see if you can see the target and the lead correctly.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you shoot an O/U and you see the left side of the barrels on a left to right crosser your stock might be too low, by maybe just a hair. This happened to me. Raised the comb and also used a dot on left lense.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'll try to actually answer your ?. If you are right handed, left eye dominant, the target will look just like a clear target, you can track it and pull the trigger and you'll miss by 3 feet. So if this is the issue, the advise above is sound. You must shoot off the eye that is on the same side you mount the gun.

You have determined that you are right eye dominant, so why do you think eye dominance is the issue? Sounds like you don't have good target focus, not dominance issues.

K

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you can take a look at Phil Kiner's video he describes a step by step process to deal with cross firing. To answer your original question, the clay looks sharp, clear, and three feet to the right of where it really is.

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is how a clay looks like to a cross dominant shooter.

All joking aside, are you actually cross dominant or are you somewhere in the middle? If you are solidly cross dominant I highly suggest you consider switching hands if at all possible. Does your gun not fit and your right eye sit below the rib?

If you are center dominant there are ways to temporarily fix the issue with a dot, bracket on the rib, etc. A magic dot (I think that is what they are called), a smaller and non-colored bead, and or something like this may help -> Meadow Industries, LLC. - Since 1976 - Unique Gun Accessories for Trap, Skeet, Hunting and Sporting Clays

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Yes, it really distracted me and I kept trying to look over it
When your ready to do something about it. Google Meadow Industries and order their "Sight Blinder" It attaches to your barrel with 2 sided tape, so it will not hurt a thing. Try it for 3 to 5 thousand rounds. Let us know how it works for you. If you give it time, it will fix your problem. It worked for me. What do you have to lose? Its less than 20 bucks. The price of a nice lunch. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try to actually answer your ?. If you are right handed, left eye dominant, the target will look just like a clear target, you can track it and pull the trigger and you'll miss by 3 feet. So if this is the issue, the advise above is sound. You must shoot off the eye that is on the same side you mount the gun.

You have determined that you are right eye dominant, so why do you think eye dominance is the issue? Sounds like you don't have good target focus, not dominance issues.

K
Actually I am Right Handed and Right eye dominant. I will try closing my left eye and coming on closer to the trap with my hold point. Thanks

Reactions: shotgunpeople

·
Registered
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,069 Posts
You should try changing your eye holds too. If you’re looking down through your barrel to the front of the house, you are probably blocking the target as it comes out with your dominant eye. You can hold your eyes with a soft focus a little higher than your barrel, then lock on as the target clears the barrel. You can try this in addition to a lower gun hold.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have an eye dominance issue, and thought it was causing what you described, not getting a good sight picture and shooting late. Since my off eye was taped could not figure out exactly what was causing problem. Had remembered reading an book an insight to sports which goes into how the eyes focus and how sight is interpreted. When you focused on the target and then allow your focus to come off the target just slightly because you are unsure of this specific target presentation, two things could happen. You go ahead and shoot without getting a "good" sight picture or you can refocus on the target and try to get a better sight picture and shoot late. A little self talk telling myself to focus and stay on the target and visualization of the lead I am wanting before calling for the target helped me. A little self talk and visualization before calling for the target might help.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an eye dominance issue, and thought it was causing what you described, not getting a good sight picture and shooting late. Since my off eye was taped could not figure out exactly what was causing problem. Had remembered reading an book an insight to sports which goes into how the eyes focus and how sight is interpreted. When you focused on the target and then allow your focus to come off the target just slightly because you are unsure of this specific target presentation, two things could happen. You go ahead and shoot without getting a "good" sight picture or you can refocus on the target and try to get a better sight picture and shoot late. A little self talk telling myself to focus and stay on the target and visualization of the lead I am wanting before calling for the target helped me. A little self talk and visualization before calling for the target might help.
Wow, Thanks this is a great insight. I will do it. Perhaps taking focus off the target for Millisecond is not something I recognize. Quite a few mistakes are visible to me when I watch the face a struggling shooter at skeet. Their eyes come up off the gun when they pull the trigger. I see it, but they do not realize they are doing it.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I suspect the issue is binocular rivalry rather than cross-firing. There are competing images of the barrel-bead-target for the left and right eye and as Shoemaker said, you are losing hard focus on the target (of which there is only one image at distance.) Having now missed some left to right crossers, confidence in your sight picture is also an issue.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I call eyes open, close off eye in motion to the target and pull the trigger and follow through. It took me 3 years to really figure out what worked for me after trying everything under the sun suggested to me by others that worked for them. One day I was just kind of frustrated and gave it a try - never went back.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,593 Posts
Had your eyes checked lately?

I shoot right handed. even w correction my off gun eye sees better, so my brain wants to use it, particularly on targets going left.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I suspect the issue is binocular rivalry rather than cross-firing.
Drew do you have any more info explaining binocular rivalry ? I have never quite understood what Phil Kiner meant when he said "The problem is that the wrong eye locks on the Target".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts