Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a hand gun shooter. A fellow shooter is thinking about getting a Bond Derringer for a small carry gun. Just saw the Double Tap add in the American Rifleman and it looks as a better alternative to the Derringer type.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Neither make a good carry gun in my honest opinion. They are last ditch effort guns. I have a Derringer and you would be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn with it from more than a couple foot away.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Something like the Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight, snubby revolver in .38 Special would be a better choice for a lightweight carry gun, in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The best thing to be carrying if someone tries to rob you is $300 in cash.
He goes away happy, you live to a ripe old age, and it cost you less than
you would spend at a trapshoot.

I have a Glock 23, shoulder holster, and a CCW - plus 50 years experience
with NRA "Expert" classification. I have a wife and two sons and I don't like my chances in a shoot-out.

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
Criminals seldom try to hold you up from 25 yards.

What dickgtax said is pretty good advice. Better a few bucks down than dead or injured.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That 300 bucks is a whole lot better than the legal bills you will surely be paying even if it's a slam dunk justifiable shooting. The best gunfight is the one you can run away from.

I suggest your friend read a couple books on CCW and maybe even take a class and THEN make a decision on what best to carry. It's better to build your self defense system around knowledge then to build it around the equipment you already have.

Mike

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
If $300 would get you out of a shooting then by all means that is the way to go.

Anyone that carries routinely knows that it isn't just a casual deal that you do when the mood strikes you. Its serious business and with that in mind you need a serious business firearm to go to. Derringers just aren't the ticket.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I`ve taken the class, got carry permit, handled guns
for 60 years, & there are several drug users in my
neighborhood. I`m 70 and I feel safe carrying a gun.
I`ve called crime stoppers in my area complaining
and they say it`s every where in this area--so I`m
going to carry! I live in WV and most of my friends
carry and so do all of my family.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I carry an officer's model colt 45 everywhere i go and have for 30 years.

they are like parachutes, handy to have around if you need them. never wanted to use it, these days you never know.

do not put yourself in the position to have to use one is the best advice.

it's not always easy to disable soneone on drugs or alchol with a firearm.

many LEOs get killed every years being out gunned.

barry

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't carry. I'm just saying, don't pull it out unless you are pretty sure you're going to get shot if you don't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.