Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is their "champions" week on their youtube channel. So far all excellent and interesting interviews. Vincent Hancock, George Digweed, Derrick Mein.. two more to go this week.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
If anyone is not aware their YouTube Channel, Go Shooting, has numerous short videos related to gun fit, techniques, and many other topics that would be helpful to shooters of any experience level. Most are 2 to 5 minutes long and are well done. They also started to do gun reviews and these interviews. One of them coming up is supposed to be on a US trap shooter but no idea who at this point.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Great video, thanks for posting it Tim! One thing that caught my attention was Derrick stating that he “never separates his eyes from the gun”. Later he stated that he used to look down through the gun but he has evolved his game since then. I take this to mean that he looks straight down the rib.
Denny K.

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
Did anyone else pick up these two bits of info?

Derrick only uses American #8 shot for both shots in International Trap!!!

Remember now, you have to factor in that International targets are harder to break than the standard 108mm target. Because they are slightly smaller in size and they are thinner as well. They are also thrown about 30% faster too. Now factor in again, that many Euro target makers, make targets that are harder to break than our White Flyer targets as well!!!!! So do American's really need to use #7 1/2 sized shot for any American Trap Targets when WF targets are used??? Mmm

Derrick even agree'd with my findings. Without knowing it of course. That American #7 1/2 shot, is sized more like Euro's #7 shot!!!

Very informative interview too, I might add. Well worth the watch. Thanks Tim for posting it here, for all to see. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Great video, thanks for posting it Tim! One thing that caught my attention was Derrick stating that he “never separates his eyes from the gun”. Later he stated that he used to look down through the gun but he has evolved his game since then. I take this to mean that he looks straight down the rib.
Denny K.
I would say so as it keeps him connected to the tgt. But, on the other hand I was talking to David Radulovich during the South Central Regional Sporting Clay shoot and he says the opposite.....he works his eyes more than the muzzle and looks out over the rib at the tgt.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I would say so as it keeps him connected to the tgt. But, on the other hand I was talking to David Radulovich during the South Central Regional Sporting Clay shoot and he says the opposite.....he works his eyes more than the muzzle and looks out over the rib at the tgt.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Tim and myself belong to a Club known as Powder Creek in Lenexa Kansas where Derrick was the General Manager for a few years. I watched him shoot many times on the Trap field and the Sporting Clays course. I never saw him miss a bird. He has actually shot a 100 straight a couple times in the Sporting Clays Tournaments. He still does occasional Instructions at Powder Creek at 150.00 per hour. He is an honest sportsman & gentleman. We at the club are very proud of his accomplishments from a good ole boy from Kansas.

Storeman Norman

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well I can say , if you had meet his Dad (Rick) and watched him shoot , you would understand how nice of folks these 2 competitors are . Rick has taught his Son (Derrick) well
and if you wish to wager against either at a shoot , you had better get some tall odds ! These are true Sportsmen as they are just as good losers as they are accustomed to winning !
We are fortunate to have them representing the U.S.A.in the shooting sports ! Best of Luck Guys

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of them coming up is supposed to be on a US trap shooter but no idea who at this point.
Dagen Voigtman. I just posted it a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I can say , if you had meet his Dad (Rick) and watched him shoot , you would understand how nice of folks these 2 competitors are . Rick has taught his Son (Derrick) well
and if you wish to wager against either at a shoot , you had better get some tall odds ! These are true Sportsmen as they are just as good losers as they are accustomed to winning !
We are fortunate to have them representing the U.S.A.in the shooting sports ! Best of Luck Guys
Derrick was on the Kansas State University trap club with my daughter. He also managed our club in Lenexa KS (Powder Creek) for a while.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Derrick was on the Kansas State University trap club with my daughter. He also managed our club in Lenexa KS (Powder Creek) for a while.
Both he and Rick come our way to shoot ZZ's and flyers with my Son and our group in the Central Valley , They are pure Gentleman of the finest .

·
Registered
831 Posts
Denny K.
Derrick also stated that when he looks down the rib with the beads stacked the gun shoots about 50/50 so he has it set up so he sees some rib between the beads.
I take the comment about his eyes never leaving the gun to mean he is one of those rare individuals that can see the bead and the target clearly together and can put the shot exactly where he wants it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts