Trapshooters Forum banner

Dent in barrel

3931 27
My shotgun fell over yesterday. My fault, nobody to bitch at. It put a small dent in the barrel. Any simple way to fix? I watched larry whats his face at midway make a fancy tool, but,,

What is the typical charge for dent fixing at gunsmith?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
15,896 Posts
Two tools used to fix this - one is a hydraulic dent raiser (BROWNELLS ORIGINAL ENGLISH HYDRAULIC DENT RAISER | Brownells), the other is a lead slug you make to fit the specific barrel.

With either method you actually tap the outside of the barrel while the tool is inside putting pressure on the dent. Typically you end up with some loss of bluing over the dent. You can try a cold blue to repair it, but often you end up having to recolor the whole barrel.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are we talking a Mossberg 500 or a K80? It may not be worth the attention. And "Larry whats his face" is Larry Potterfield President of Midway USA, who has donated more to our sport than anyone could ever imagine, I would show more respect. JMHO
DaveB OH
It is my shotgun so it is worth it to me. I do not need lectured by you about respect.

· Registered
2,399 Posts
There are OLD tools to do this without messing up the blueing and are not expensive hydraulics. I will try to explain how it works. This is a dedicated dent removal tool, gage specific. It consists of a split section of "rod" with a groove milled into both sides lengthwise of the "rod" A tapered wedge milled to slide into the slot, and a long rod, something like a solid cleaning rod. You slide the rod with the wedge loosely incerted to the location of the dent, put the long rod against the wedge and tap it with a hammer until the dent is removed by the tapered wedge expanding the "rod". A smith can do this in about the same time as you took to read it. Fool proof and will not hurt anything.
Jim

· Registered
1,339 Posts
I've read some favorable posts others that have had a barrel mishap sent the barrels to Briley in Texas. Upon their return couldn't tell where it was dented so when a hunting friended dropped his Berretta barrel on the concrete and dented the muzzle end he sent it off to Briley for repair. He showed me the barrel and couldn't see any sign of the dent at all, the repair was $125. You might want to try Briley ?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are OLD tools to do this without messing up the blueing and are not expensive hydraulics. I will try to explain how it works. This is a dedicated dent removal tool, gage specific. It consists of a split section of "rod" with a groove milled into both sides lengthwise of the "rod" A tapered wedge milled to slide into the slot, and a long rod, something like a solid cleaning rod. You slide the rod with the wedge loosely incerted to the location of the dent, put the long rod against the wedge and tap it with a hammer until the dent is removed by the tapered wedge expanding the "rod". A smith can do this in about the same time as you took to read it. Fool proof and will not hurt anything.
Jim
I called a couple gunsmiths around me. They all know about the tools, but none of them have one. I may have to machine one myself.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read some favorable posts others that have had a barrel mishap sent the barrels to Briley in Texas. Upon their return couldn't tell where it was dented so when a hunting friended dropped his Berretta barrel on the concrete and dented the muzzle end he sent it off to Briley for repair. He showed me the barrel and couldn't see any sign of the dent at all, the repair was $125. You might want to try Briley ?
By the time i add up sending to texas and back, along with the cost of repair and time without my favorite shotgun,,i was hoping to find a DIY or a local guy. I wonder if Briley only does muzzle work?

· Registered
1,339 Posts
By the time i add up sending to texas and back, along with the cost of repair and time without my favorite shotgun,,i was hoping to find a DIY or a local guy. I wonder if Briley only does muzzle work?
I believe Briley does muzzle work, you need to check out their web site. They have done sub gauge sets and choke tube work for me in the past and was a happy shooter with their work.

· Registered
108 Posts
I would worry about damaging the barrel and making a weak spot
That said, the exact same thing happened to me on a carrier barrel for skeet tube set
Small dent made it hard to get tubes in and out
I used a extension for a 3/8 drive ratchet
Was a little big so I ground it down to the exact bore size of the barrel, then carefully drove it through.
Not very elegant, but it worked
I might be more nervous on a shootable barrel

· Registered
2,055 Posts
Are we talking a Mossberg 500 or a K80? It may not be worth the attention. And "Larry whats his face" is Larry Potterfield President of Midway USA, who has donated more to our sport than anyone could ever imagine, I would show more respect. JMHO
DaveB OH
I tend to agree with Razorface(the OP) don't be lecturing about respect..... As far as you know, he might have had bad dealings with MIdway or maybe he does not like the way Larry comes across( I am not a fan of his videos) You can show Larry all the respect you want but the way you came across was lecturing and demeaning. No skin off my nose either way.

· Registered
948 Posts
I tend to agree with Razorface(the OP) don't be lecturing about respect..... As far as you know, he might have had bad dealings with MIdway or maybe he does not like the way Larry comes across( I am not a fan of his videos) You can show Larry all the respect you want but the way you came across was lecturing and demeaning. No skin off my nose either way.
Wish some teachers from my past only had 5 word 'lectures' as I would have had a fair chance of retaining them. There is nothing close to demeaning about that 'lecture'. Hoping razer whats his face gets that dent out though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.