Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reviewing published 1 oz loads for Tightgroup I see many loads that use the AA12SL wads. The powder is very dense and in order to achieve proper stack height I would believe that the wad would not be seated on the powder to keep from having dished crimps.

Years ago I talked to the DR wad manager (Kevin, I think) and he said shotshells do not require the wad to be seated on the powder. I’ve never loaded shells without seating the wad.

I know that many people use the 7/8 oz wad for 1 oz Tightgroup loads but it seems to me that would leave a considerable amount of shot outside the wad cup and may lead to poorer patterns due to barrel scrubbing of the shot. Have those of you that use the 7/8 oz wad Experienced patterns with more flyers?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If you use Guilandi or B&P wads, like I do in 16 gauge, there's not enough depth to the shot cup to hold all the shot. There's nothing unsatisfactory about the performance of these loads.
The only loads that require full protection of the shot column are steel and tungsten loads, where you need to protect the barrel.
I think that you would be surprised how many factory target loads don't fully contain the shot in the wad.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Lots of people do that including myself to raise the stack height. Personally, I don't think there is much of a difference in the pattern but I have never done any patterning on the board rather only what I see with target breaks. Some people add a filler of some sort to help with raising the stack height but that sure slows down the process.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It makes very little to no difference, especially when using quality, hard shot. It's critical to stack height to use a longer wad with a dense powder such as TightGroup. Remington Nitro 27 factory loads have used the 1 oz figure 8 wad for as long as I can remember and are definitely considered to be a premium shell.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
You don't need to use a different sized wad if you are using AAHS hulls with dense powders such as TG and WSH.
I didn't "need to," but I did like my crimps better when I did. They went from dished but totally shootable to good crimps that are equally shootable. But I will admit, the real reason I am still doing it is because I have way too many one ounce wads, and using some of them up to make a more attractive crimp is just another way to get them shot up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would wager that the sudden acceleration of the shot down the barrel deforms the shot more than the relatively few -if any- pellets that would slide along the VERY slick and smooth bore of the barrel.

Reactions: acorange
1 - 8 of 8 Posts