Trapshooters Forum banner

delete

1533 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  wolfram
A better statement would be, make sure there is enough pressure so my gun functions properly. HMB
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6,754 Posts
You didn't specify the primer or wad but for most combos, 17.5g of Promo is going to be about as low as you want to go. You should be in the 1,200 FPS range and 7000-8000 psi. I would probably opt for a bit more powder after consulting the manufacture's data.

You are the only person that needs to be satisfied with your ammo. So as long as your shells funtion properly and break the targets like you expect them to, then you have suceeded. One thing about the 7/8 loads though, they tend to work best with the smalller shot (#8 or #8.5) combined with velocities in the 1,250 FpS range. (IMO). Some pattern testing may be in order if you really want to find what works best in your gun.

· Registered
557 Posts
Tigman,

Try a faster powder than Promo. Titewad or Winchester Lite will give you 1200-1250fps and get your pressures up to 9-10,000psi. I'll bet that you will see a much cleaner action at the end of the shooting day. ART H.

· Registered
1,235 Posts
If you use a low end load with Promo you'll find alot of unburned powder in the barrel.I have found that a load on the higher end of the Promo pressure curve will create a much cleaner burning load........just my experience.

D.P.Reynolds

· Registered
6,754 Posts
Tigman,

go to alliantpowder.com for your data needs. You will be able to find exact recipies for the components you have and you don't have to take the advice of a bunch of internet posters that you don't really know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.