Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I made a mistake and poured some powder into a shot container and was left with the task of separating shot and powder. As I sifted and separated the shot (about 10 lbs.) I noticed and removed 10-12 double shot (two shot that were attached together. All of the shot were from a bag of new Lawrence 7.5 magnum shot. Are such deformed shot normal? Thanks. Ralph

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahab, thank you for the insight. Ironic that I am buying high antimony shot to avoid shot deforming during flight only to find out the higher antimony leads to the shot being deformed before firing. My next question involves how to screen out the deformed shot prior to loading? Ralph

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It happens in all shot every once in a while. Some of that stuff just makes it through the sorters. Don't worry about it and if it bothers you, don't look at anymore shot. :)

Ajax

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ajax, you are right with your recommendation. All was well until I saw all those double/deformed shot. My problem is I now think (agree I'm thinking too much)of a couple patterns I shot at 40 yds that had almost hand-sized holes after shooting many almost perfect patterns. I am attempting to rule out all fault issues, including those that are part of being a 67 y/o shooter. My next quest is to look at the best way I can become a sorter for the shot I load for handicap(24). Thanks.
Ralph

·
Registered
279 Posts
Get a 30" piece of glass about 18" wide. Elevate one end about 8-10". Roll the shot down it. Round shot will go straight down,deformed will veer off. Catch the shot on cookie sheet, with a cake pan in the middle to catch the round shot.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
"I'm thinking too much" Ya think! LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
As soon as the shell ignites the setback pressure on the bottom of the shot charge makes a LOT of ugly pellets! Very little happens to shot after it leaves the barrel. Worrying about a couple of pellets stuck together is a waste of a good worry!

Bob Schultz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts