Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing a lot of deflection from people at work lately and at other places like at the dog park.

Example: At the dog park, one lady dog owner started crying just today while telling a story about a dog who ran into her and then the owner accused her of somehow causing the collision. He called her some really bad names when there were no witnesses. It's deflection at it's finest. He could have easily taken responsibility for his dog and apologized for the collision which would have been the end of it. Instead he pushed the responsibility onto her.

At work I see co-workers criticizing customers when the co-worker has not done all they can to help resolve the technical problem. It doesn't matter how 'dumb' the customer is (really!). Everybody does this from time to time. I believe it's human nature. However, when you're in a service industry, it leads to real issues. The alternative is to ask, "Have I done everything possible to help this customer?" and then act on what you see as your next step.

Why say this here? Some transactions described here fall into the same boat - deflected responsibility.

View attachment images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlPVN-ENk7dCtb1upLfgupIkAlJ2ecNy654MXCHH9VTK9BLLgyXg

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Almost half of these problems could have been resolved with better communications, and almost another half with better photos. What little is left are the skunks trying to rip someone off.

I had a purchase here run into problems. Despite PMs back and forth, the purchase arrived minus a critical subcomponent. The seller was genuinely unaware of the missing subcomponent and thought it was covered by something else. I found the subcomponent on the Internet for a reasonable amount of money, and the seller agreed to refund that amount. We were able to square up the problem because we kept our heads, both of us were honest, and arrived at a mutually satisfactory solution.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
My recent experiences with customer "service" could be better described as customer "DISservice". For example, all of the following have occurred in the past three weeks or so. Item 4 has both DIS service and Excellent customer service items from two different insurance companies involved.

Just to show that some companies provide excellent service, I ordered some parts for my Hornady Apex 3.1 loading press. This press has been out of manufacture for several years but I still use it to load my shot shells and it does an excellent job of it. The parts i ordered were delivered in a matter of about four or five days. This is why I like Hornady. I also have a 366 and have gotten the same great service when I needed parts for it. They have always been top notch with me.

DIS-Service items include:

1. Attended a dinner/educational seminar on energy efficiency where the advantages of LED bulbs, insulation of various types, ventilation, solar energy, electrical use reduction and so forth were presented. There was no direct sales pitch at the seminar but appointments could be made, if you wished, to have a home energy audit to see where you might improve your home's energy efficient operation. We filled out a appointment request with three suggested times and our contact info and it was personally received and acknowledged by the presenter with assurances that he would call us the next day to set up an appontment. A week later and we are still waiting for that call.

2. Had a sales representative, that we first met at his store, come out to the house to measure for some fireplace doors and assorted things. We we told that the items we ordered when he was at the house would be ready for pick up in 7 to 10 days. Two weeks later he called to say the color we chose was no longer available and to select a different color. Then we were told it would be 7 to 10 days. It is now about 12 days and still no word.

3. Had a water conditioner system installed back in September. It included a reverse osmosis component. The softner part would intermitently go hard but then settle back. After some drain work was needed on another part of the house plumbing, it was discovered that the reverse osmosis filter was continuously draining.

A call to the installing company did bring a repair tech to the house the next day. He did not have the tools, spare parts or even adequate information to identify the cause of the continuous draining. He would have to get the needed parts from the supplier. It was to be no more than a week. 10 days AFTER the initial week, he came with the new unit to replace all the things inside the case. After that was done, the continuous drain still continued. A call to tech support told them to change the tank. This was done and the next day the continuous drain problem appeared to be over.

BUT. the following day, the system was draining again. A look at the specs for the unit indicated that a ratio of three parts discharge to one part of useful product. My call to the supplier took a lot of time to explain what the discharge was compared to the product. It took three or four times going over the same thing to finally get across to him that this unit did not meet its published specifications. Another call to the local dealer brought an "explanation" that did not meet with logic.

The next day it was draining again and a call to the local supplier requesting to talk to who ever had the authority to take back this unit was met with "The person you have to talk to is in a meeting but she will call you back as soon as the meeting is over." Well it must be one he** of a meeting since the return call has still not occurred four days later.

4. Bought a programmable thermostat a while back. Go to install it and find it is not working correctly. This was confirmed by our furnace contractor when he tried it. E-Mailed the company (TempRite in case you are interested.) and the reply, which did come fairly quickly on said the the unit must be used with alkaline batteries. The batteries supplied with the thermostat were dead right out of the box. I replied that the batteries used were brand new alkaline (also tried Lithium Ion with the same result). And asked what was needed to have them honor the five year guarantee shown right on the packaging. So far, more than three weeks have gone by without a reply.

5. Wife was involved in an accident where a semi backed into her van. Our insurance company has spent three or four weeks continuously sending back forms and making phone calls asking for more details. On the other side of this same coin, the truckers insurance company was in contact with us the same day as the accident and it was completely settled with them and all medical, collision damage and car rental costs were settled in about ten days. That is the way customer service should be handled!

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to McDonald's the other day and ordered a #2 and a 10 piece McNugget. "Number 13?" No, a #2... We waited for the nuggets an extra minute or so and then discovered there were no fries in with the #2 as we drove away. I looped right around, skipped the drive through line and walked in the front door. I showed the clerk my receipt and gave her the bag. She said, "What choo missing?" I said, "See if you can figure it out." She went right to the fry rack and gave me the fries. I wonder how she knew. They also gave me a small drink but charged me for a medium, but I let that part slide. 3 strikes and you're out! It will be a long time before I go back to that place.

My favorite at work is to get a support case that describes a problem thoroughly, but doesn't include a sample account number. Some will reject the case without the account number even though the query you have to write to do the analysis includes all the other details. You need to look at the general case to explore the scope anyway, so why reject the case?
Thats%2Bcrazy%2Benough%2Bto%2Bwork.%2BHey%2Bit%2Bworked%2Bbefore_d6ba01_4915453.jpg

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
McNuggets, huh? You are what you eat.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
And McDammit workers want $15 an hour. Sheesh. They're often not worth min wage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts