Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Sorry deleted original trying to edit. What is your personal definition of "trapshooter". Sometimes I feel like an outsider on this forum because I rarely shoot ata [and my posts probably show it].
Big M...500 birds to qualify, isn't it?

Bill

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Now THAT's funny.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A gun loving person with enough money to buy shells and pay entry fees! Understanding that the return on his money will be only fun and good friends!

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Or it could be fat or slim guy who looks to be trading for a new gun because he only broke 99 birds last time out!

Thinks it will help him get to the "promised land". (100 birds straight)

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
A person does not have to register targets in order to have fun shooting trap. The question is do you want to be a recreational shooter or would you like to bring an element of competion into the activity? The thing about competive shooting is that it pushes the shooter to continually improve and set goals. The interactions with other competitive shooters adds alot to the experience and is something you really miss out on if you just shoot recreationally.

As to the question of target requirements, that has to do with how you would be classified if you were to start shooting registered trap and what the penalty classification and yardage would be if you were to attend a large shoot with out enough registered targets to satify their criteria. This does not mean that you cannot shoot or participate. Remember, everyone has to start out this way and after the first season or so you will have established averages and target totals that will be used to correctly classify you in future shoots.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Wolf...I shot 400 registered birds last year averaging around 93. Is this generally enough to classify? if so where would I shoot from on singles in a shoot this year?*

Bill

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Slayer - you shoot singles from the 16, just as everyone does.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Bill,

At most large shoots with target qualifications, you would be classed in penalty B or higher at the discretion of the classifier..

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
A Trapshooter is someone who enjoys the game of trap, it has nothing to do with membership in any organization or club, nore the number of targets shot in any given amount of time; its about the love of the game of trap.

Surfer

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Bill,

I don't know what the requirements are for the state organization you might be participating in but in my neck of the woods, you would shoot B class singles, B class doubles and be on the 20 yard line for HC and that is just for the typical club level matches. If you showed up at the state shoot with those target numbers, they would probably put you in A class singles, A class doubles and 25 yard handicap. You could still shoot though but you would be in with some pretty tough competition. As it usually turns out at the bigger state shoots, a person needs to post near perfect scores to win in any class so taking a penalty classification really isn't a game buster.

Now when you do get enough targets to be classified, your class for singles and doubles will be based on your average - normally of the last 1,000 targets. From the numbers you threw out, I would guess you would probably manage to get into A class singles. Your HC yardage will stay at 20 yards until you win a HC event with the top score for a punch or shoot a punch score (96 or 97 depending on organization).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts