Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 422 Posts

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some quick info in response to all that say the shooters are down because of economy. While I agree it may not of helped trapshooting it apparently did not hurt the sporting clays and skeet did not see as large of decline.

While some will sit back and say the sky is falling and we are doing all we can. Take a look at these graphs. While lead is high and gas is high sporting clays is growing and growing...skeet is holding on and people are still spending! Trap only clubs if they have opportunity to grow really need to be looking at adding more games. ie, 5 stand, skeet, sporting clays if possible.

grandhandientriegraph_zpsd8974260.jpg

skeetchampionshipattendancejpg_zps97d0e469.jpg

graphsportingclaysattendance_zps52757439.jpg

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Take a look at the cost of shooting the Sporting Clays Championships and it is even more impressive that there is such a large increase. Money apparently is not the issue. When the S C championships were in MN in 2012, I was shocked when looking at the license plates how far a lot of people had come to shoot.
IMO the fall off in shooting the Grand has little or nothing to do with the cost.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Well said himark.

This is where the Bear will make a difference...I pray. Brilliant and courageous move by the ATA to put Barry in such a position. I just hope the ATA will give him enough room to hang a solution on. Guys like Rob Taylor, Lynn Gipson and Barry Roach, a few others, might just turn this sport around. Trapshooters deserve it, the 100 year old plus sport deserves it. IMO. (Maybe Jimmy Robinson has reappeared to slap the ATA in the face and allow the salvage of his one true love...maybe Grits too). We'll see.

milt

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Himark,

Your statement is regarding the economy and its impact with regard to participation in shooting, but your graphs only cover world championship events. Those are two wholly separate demographics. There is no way you can draw any kind of correlation between the two.

A better comparison would be the total number of registered targets thrown per year over a time graph for each sport.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Chip, another point well made, however, I think himark was referencing trends. To compare quantity of targets shot would not be a fair comparison as trap has a huge jump on SC. Think trends and you more accurately project direction. In a Marketing environment...trends point the direction for future market development.

Respectfully,

milt

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
It also doesn't reflect the change of days of that one, singular, event.

Do the whole attendance.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Be interesting to plot it against the average age of trapshooters.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just a note the drop for the nsca natinals in 01 was just after the workplace violence in New York. The tournament was rescheduled.
I thought sporting was stagnating until they reorganized the zone to regional shoots. If you don't register 6-8 months before the shoot good luck getting in.
The Seminole cup is the first "big" shoot of the year and is basically full. I tried to get in and the fitasc and all of the pre-lims are full.
I haven't seen that in 10 years when it was held in Orlando.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Do you think you could post them using the same scale. Perhaps as three lines on the same graph. Might be more meaningful.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Sporting Clays participation totaled about 22.5 million targets in '12.

Trap participation totaled about 59.6 million targets in '12.

When S.C. shooters have to drive to kingdom come, just to shoot a club event, it stands to reason their championship event is showing an increase. Good grief, I can be at a trap club in 20 minutes. Cant do that for S.C.

Edited, out of respect for himark. I misread his intent. Sorry bud.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If you take Oleolliedolly past remarks concering sporting clays, he says this growing body of shooters are young high income earners who have money to burn. This is not the demographics of the greater body of ATA trapshooters.

Surfer

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
oleolliedawg,

Sporting Clays will never ever amount 1/2 of Trap participation.

Your "Sometimes I feel I'm preaching to a choir. A few charts and graphs prove I'm right!!" ignorant post is as hideous as your thought of putting concrete to the 30 yard line is the save-all to Trap. Bullcrap!!

Trap is the king of participation, and always will be. You can only ride your blowhard train of thought until S.C. participation levels off, and it WILL. Then what are you going to spout off about?

·
Registered
15,956 Posts
No matter what the shotgun discipline is, shooters are getting squeezed more & more by the overall cost. As much as it is popular, I see more gray haired guys shooting consistently than the young folks because it takes increasingly more disposable income. "Trap is the king of participation and will always be."
I would not bet on that one with my life!

remdog1187_2009_0104501.jpg

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Just ask Krieghoff where the vast majority of guns sold go-hint, it used to be Trap.

There might be just a few more Trap ranges than Sporting Clays courses-I'd say.

As usual the nay-sayers stick there head in the sand and try to say nah-nah!!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Yah, right, oleolliedawg.

Put the sales figures out there. Don't just blow out "ask Krieghoff".

I want to see the sales figures for each discipline..

Put the figures where your mouth is.......

Finally your right about one thing "There might be just a few more Trap ranges than Sporting Clays courses-I'd say!!".

There always will be,, and Trap puts numbers on the field and targets in the air on any given day.

·
Registered
15,956 Posts
Trap is on the decline nationwide. Registered and casual. Sporting clays is on the upswing for registered and casual shooters nationwide. The PSCA was just formed. The NSCA is aggressively marketing it's game. I've seen more & more shooters gravitate towards sporting clays over the past twenty years. There are many socio-economic reasons that I'm not going to spend the time listing. It's a trend not to be ignored if trap is to remain "king". I'm not here to bash any discipline or organization. Just my observation that the movement away from trap and into sporting clays is apparent and widespread.

1 - 20 of 422 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.