Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright boys! I am going to build/rebuild my last deck of my career. I am strongly leaning to pressure treated lumber. However, after several searches and reviews, there is a lot of bitching about drying, shrinking, warping, sap bleeding etc. Assuming I stay with pressure treated, where would you suggest getting premium properly dried straight lumber. I know composite will eliminate most of these problems, but I figure if I am lucky, I might get 12-15 more years before the dirt nap! Will a properly maintained pressure treated deck get me what I am looking for? By the way, my deck is heavily shaded with two mature oak trees right above/beside it! Thanks guys! Tom Rhoads

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
Take a look at 'ipe.'

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Even if it's a little higher in price a hometown lumber yard might be the place to get your pressure treated lumber. Or even have a small contractor get it for you. Seems like the get the better lumber.

Just a thought, you might want to ask a realtor what kind of money you can expect in return between PT wood and composite. Might be worth the extra expense or might not be.

To answer your last question the pressure treated wood I had lasted 23 years. A annual treatment of wood preservative will keep it looking good and extend the life of the deck. I used a cheap sprayer and it seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just rebuilt my PT deck. It lasted about 20 years and was not really well maintained. I removed the boards and replaced them with PT that I got from a local lumberyard although Home Depot had it in stock also for about the same price. That synthetic stuff is pretty pricey.

ctreay

·
Registered
93 Posts
Personly I don't like P_T wood. I used Trex to build mine about seven or eight years ago and have been very satisfied. No painting or sealing.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I don't think you can say "pressure treated" and "properly dried" in the same sentence. I think you will find it's one or the other and never both.

Bob

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
We just re-did our porch or deck. We decided to go with the mahogany for both the decking and stairs. Its been about 2 years and things are great. Yes it will be more money but we have less problems then any other wood. Mahongany it is weather resistant and it will not rot as easy.

They used star head screws that went all the way in the wood. They had a small head that would lock into the wood but wouldn't work out. He told me the price of the screws and it wasn't cheap. But I will say it was worth the money from what I have seen.

If not mahogany then look at the plastic wood. I just didn't like it.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
What they often forget to tell you is that with the new pressure treated lumber is that you must use galvanized or stainless nails/fasteners!

OSHA/EPA outlawed the arsenic based treatment and went to copper based ... which means ordinary nails/fasteners will corrode away in a short time and you project will fall apart!

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Too they outlawed Penta treated wood, that stuff lasted a long time

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I prefer Cedar... Way better than PT and a fraction of the price of composite.

My last cedar deck lasted 16 years and I expect to get 16 out of the new one.

Sw

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Redid the 40' deck, railings on my summer home in the mountains with Trex. Only way to go and wish I would have done it originially, but didn't want to spend the money. Looks great, no maintenance.

·
Registered
15,948 Posts
http://www.abcsupply.com/products/decking-railing

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! I went online and checked prices and reviews from people who built using Trex! The reviews were very poor with many complaints about the high maintenance and the problem with black mold spots that need to be cleaned frequently and with harsh chemicals?! Can you guys explain this? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
417 Posts
There is no quality PT, it is southern yellow pine which is structurally great for the support section of your deck and will last very long especiallly if it off the ground and can breath. It will always have a high moisture content at purchase because it has been pumped full of chemicals to slow down the decaying process. PT is not very dimensionally stable during the drying process so boards will split , warp, cup, and twist nothing will stop this. Cedar is a viable alternative I chose to use on my own deck 19 tears ago it will last that long with proper maintainance it does tend to rot wherever butt joints split on a support. If I had to do over and could afford one of the new composites I would , the absence of face nails and little maintainance are nice features.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Just redid my deck/carport. I used an aluminum product for the deck and treated lumber for support. This is waterprof and nearly nonslip. It was found in Geogia and called drideck. I found it on the net. It comes any length up to 40 feet. My deck is 26 x 32. Decking was about 13, 000. We use ourdeck for many things besides a carport...the price included the beautiful railing, aluminum too and powder coated. There are 2 companys that sell the materials and you just put it togeather......merlyn

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I don't know what they use to "pressure treat" wood now. I have several friends who are carpenters and while on a project with one years ago there was treated wood being used and he was cutting it and wearing a mask so as to not breath in the dust and I questioned him on it. He told me that the chemicals in that treated lumber was harmful to the lungs and not to use it on decks where a young grandchild would walk barefoot because of the chemical exposure. Hope that isn't the case today but one should "just to be safe" find out what the lumber is treated with might save you some grief down the line. Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts