Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

I'm glad to be a part of the group. I've been shooting since I have been 11. I'm looking to buy my "dream gun" in the $2,000-3,000 range.

I only shoot trap, but may do some double birds.

I want your guys' input on the Three Bs. I'm looking for a good O/U.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I will give you the standard line.
Try them all and pick the one you shot best.
If buying used put them on paper, make sure both barrels shot straight and to the same POI.

I personally shoot a Beretta better then the Browning.
I still own a couple of each.
I haven't shot the Benelli.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
692 Posts
I know a lot of Browning guys and they LOVE them. I’ve never really been comfortable with one. I shoot Berettas because they fit me well and have never given me trouble of any kind for the 27 years I’ve been shooting. You couldn’t give me a Benelli. I had four at one time and two would never cycle correctly. I shot high brass, low brass, cleaned them thoroughly- nothing. I want a gun that will eat whatever she’ll I feed it. I’ve never shot their O/U, but my disdain for them keeps me from trying.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Well Benelli does not make a trap gun...so now it is just a coin toss. Either way it is better than asking about the lastest edition of the Tristar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know a lot of Browning guys and they LOVE them. I’ve never really been comfortable with one. I shoot Berettas because they fit me well and have never given me trouble of any kind for the 27 years I’ve been shooting. You couldn’t give me a Benelli. I had four at one time and two would never cycle correctly. I shot high brass, low brass, cleaned them thoroughly- nothing. I want a gun that will eat whatever she’ll I feed it. I’ve never shot their O/U, but my disdain for them keeps me from trying.
Awesome. I will keep this in mind. Citori 725?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I love my Browning Special Trap, it's old, locks up tight, "feels" solid. Don't kick too bad. Fits like a glove.

Shot my brother in law's Beretta Silver Pigeon, kicks like a mule, "feels" like a a Turkish turd.....but he loves it, and shoots it well.

Benelli, well if an auto is what your after, I have shot a Super Sport well and feels great! No idea on their O/U.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,238 Posts
27987F64-06C0-41D8-899D-FF3D551EBBA0.jpeg The Beretta 4477B9DB-A983-4E8A-98BC-F4EC530B80AB.jpeg The SKB 39165BEE-40EC-4487-B14D-AA2F2A8E08A0.jpeg
skB japan
Do something different
My two guns:
Used Japanese SKB GC7 combo. 34” unsingle with adjustable rib and 32” over under. The gun has an adjustable comb.
And I just picked up the Beretta used 687 Silver Pigeon III Joel Etchen special. 32” over under with the X Trap barrels.
I love the Beretta it just fits me great.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo & CG Summit Combo.
8,131 Posts
Of your choices and budget, my vote is for the 725. You can all but guarantee perfect barrel regulation and trouble free piece of mind for years.
I would also recommend getting one with the uncut MC stock and sending it to @Tron to add the adjustable comb.
Aside from that, with a little shopping around, you may find some used bargains offering more gun for the money than the options you have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I love my Browning Special Trap, it's old, locks up tight, "feels" solid. Don't kick too bad. Fits like a glove.

Shot my brother in law's Beretta Silver Pigeon, kicks like a mule, "feels" like a a Turkish turd.....but he loves it, and shoots it well.

Benelli, well if an auto is what your after, I have shot a Super Sport well and feels great! No idea on their O/U.
"Turkish turd" ?? - first time I ever heart that about a Beretta.
My Beretta 687 20 gauge is one beautifully made gun that swings like a wand.

To answer the original question -
Beretta or Browning, whichever you shoot better. Both are durable and reliable shotguns, at attractive price points. A lightly used gun could be the bargain of a lifetime.
There have not been good reviews of Benelli over/under shotguns.

·
Registered
681 Posts
They say that if one of them fits you the other probably doesn’t. I can’t speak to the beretta but I have two of the brownings and I love them. I have a CXS and an XT combo. The 725 you mentioned is a great gun but if you want to save a little money check out the CXT, I think it is brownings best deal on a trap gun.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Buy what fits best. Make it adjustable if that is required. Don’t know about the CXT. Latest Citori based trap gun I guess. I own and shoot a Citori Trap, XT Trap and BT-99. Browning happens to fit better than Beretta. Quality is probably equal.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
All three guns are decent guns, worth the money that is ask for them.

The best thing to do is try all three and get the one that fits the best. You will have better scores with a gun that fits over one that you have to adjust to.

Reactions: tylersorg

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Ditto on what Tron said. Get a O/U if you can only afford one gun. Forget about the Benelli!!! Enjoy your Journey into the Clay Target Sports. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 42 Posts