Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reload with strictly Cheddite primers, the problem is when I'm running my reloads thru the collet-Mec Loader-the deprimer does not always push the primer completely out and it causes the shell not to index. I'm thinking a fender washer on the bottom side would add some length to the deprimer. Need some ideas.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Remove the nut from the top of the deprimer punch.
Place a 1/2 inch flat washer between the deprimer and the loader and re attach.
Problem solved.
Happy reloading,
Mark

·
Registered
303 Posts
Had same issue this week. Like Mark posted above put a spacer of sorts on the punch. I put a 1/2" fender washer on mine and seemed to solve the issue for now. The Ched primers I'm using now seem to be a different dimension than the older ones I was using before which I think may have caused my issue. Like Mark and I said a small washer will be a quick fix.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I also used a washer/spacer. Done.. It would not surprise me if MEC has an extended de-prime punch available. They've seen all, heard it all.

The extended thread Cam Crimp Punch that is available is a perfect creation for perfect crimps.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Remove the nut from the top of the deprimer punch.
Place a 1/2 inch flat washer between the deprimer and the loader and re attach.
Problem solved.
Happy reloading,
Mark
The de-primer station has given me fits thru two 9000's with no logic to what shells will or won't jam up. I never got rid of my old de-primer that I bought
with my first 600JR about 30+ years ago and use it to de-prime all my shells with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seymour, just a thought.
I have loaded tons of cheddite primers on a PW press. It seems to only happen with Cheddite primers. Although this is not the same reloader I have over the years noticed that there is a red color over the flash hole of this particular primer. I have noticed that sometimes that when punching the primer out in the process of loading that the primer will stick to the tip of the primer punchout tool tip and jam the machine when it indexes. I believe there remains a somewhat sticky residue on this primer. It is more common in the cooler times of the year. This may sound crazy but this has happened to me many times and I have come to the conclusion from watching the loader very closely that is what is happening. If the primer does not drop off the primer tool it will jam on a progressive loader. This may not be the case with a mec 9000 but just a thought. Hope this makes sense and helps.

wb

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Had the same problem, used 2 brass washers that go under the powder bottle. Too thick of a spacer might give problems putting hull in first station.

Look at your suspect hull when it comes off the first station. It might have a convex head, pushed out by the depriming rod on a stubborn primer. Priming the hull will straighten out the case head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts