Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SWAT raid for a dud shotgun shell and muzzleloading sabots. DC prosecutors are pulling out all the stops to make this guy an example.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Here is one from Ontario, Canada. The area where this took place is largely rural. The confidence and trust that the firearms community in Canada have for the police in Canada has been largely eroded over the last 20 years. Incidents like this one and other cases like it have had a real detrimental effect.

If you read the link that I have posted, you will see a summation at the bottom by Paul Shaw, our Ontario ATA delegate. He is one of the good guys that is also one hell of a shooter. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Obviously they have to be FEDERAL charges since D.C. is not a state. What a terrible law, too bad the United States Attorney was appointed by President Obama.

These cases were not as prevalent until gun owners voted third party or stayed at home which elected Obama to the highest U.S. office... TWICE!!!

I don't recall these kinds of cases even though the laws were on the books when a Republican President was in the White House.

Hopefully the jury sends a strong message to Obama's appointed U.S. Attorney!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
NONOCK1 wrote: "Obviously they have to be FEDERAL charges since D.C. is not a state. What a terrible law, too bad the United States Attorney was appointed by President Obama."

Not true. Washington, D.C. is a municipality, and it's the D.C. Metro Police who've charged him.

There are no Federal laws violated. He's allegedly in violation of D.C. law.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
pendennis, you are splitting hairs, D.C. is a federal district and enforcement of laws take place by law enforcement who arrest violators in the federal district and REGARDLESS of the charge; the suspect is prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office which is federal.

The U.S. Attorney's office prosecutes violations of both <i>local / non- federal </i> & <i>federal crimes</i>.

So regardless, this fellow is not charged with a FEDERAL charge per se, however, ANY AND ALL charges are prosecuted by the only prosecutor's office in the District of Columbia, which is the United States Attorney's office. Yes there are different divisions within the United States Attorney's office, but still, there is not a local, elected prosecutor. All divisions still answer to THE UNITES STATES ATTORNEY.

The U.S. Attorney is personally appointed by the President. The presidential appointed U.S. attorneys for the various districts in each state and U.S. possessions/territories answer directly to the United States Attorney General.

This is currently Eric Holder. Attorney General Holder answers directly to the President.

And by the way, if not obvious, U.S. Attorney's are federal employees as are the Presidential Appointed federal magistrate and federal judges. Get convicted in D.C. and after one finishes said jail/prison sentence, one will find themselves visiting another federal employee, i.e., a U.S. probation officer.

So still... Hopefully the jury sends a strong message to Obama's personally appointed U.S. Attorney that heads the U.S. Attorney's office for the District of Columbia which is responsible for the charges against this man.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
So when is Obozo`s pal David Gregory going to be prosecuted for waving around an illegal in DC high capacity magazine?
Oh I forgot he is Obozo`s pal and his kids go to the same school as Obozo`s kids.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
NOKNOCK1 wrote: "pendennis, you are splitting hairs, D.C. is a federal district and enforcement of laws take place by law enforcement who arrest violators in the federal district and REGARDLESS of the charge; the suspect is prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office which is federal."

Splitting hairs is what the legal system is all about, whether state, federal, or in D.C. I'm not defending the U.S. AG, or the D.C. police.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
PENDENNIS wrote: "Splitting hairs is what the legal system is all about, whether state, federal, or in D.C. I'm not defending the U.S. AG, or the D.C. police. "

So what exactly is your point?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
HIPPE, I simply replied to a thread and said that hopefully a jury will send a message to the U.S. Attorney's Office for charging a guy with a terrible charge. Then, pendennis chimes in about it not being a 'federal' charge. I give a basic government lesson to pendennis on how D.C. works.

So still... Hopefully the jury sends a strong message to Obama's personally appointed U.S. Attorney that heads the U.S. Attorney's office for the District of Columbia which is responsible for the charges against this man.

So what are we arguing here? Read my posts, what don't I understand?

So you think the guy should be convicted? You think the D.C. police were correct to arrest this fellow?

You think the U.S. Attorney's Office should pursue LOCAL charges in this FEDERAL district and have this guy stand trial in a FEDERAL court before a FEDERAL judge?

Since, I am too enlightened from the reflection of a badge, please unenlighten me with your knowledge.

Or I am guessing you didn't read the prior posts, you are just spouting off stuff from skimming the last couple of posts in this tread...

Since from the beginning I am stating that I am for this guy and that the system is wrong, then I guess those that are disagreeing with me think the fellow should be convicted?

Great, just what we need, another anti-gunner on this site.

Since my views are completely clear on this situation involving this man and the phony case... Explain your views since I supposedly do not understand...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The particular law involves a fine and/or punishment in jail by up to one year. So, it is not within the purview of the United States Attorney General.

The case is being prosecuted by D.C. Attorney General Irvin Nathan. His office is municipal by statute, and Mr. Nathan is not a Federal officer.

Your question as to whether the accused should stand trial in a Federal Court is a nonstarter. The accused allegedly violated a D.C. municipal statute, and not Federal Law.

It's completely asinine to prosecute anyone for possession of ammunition, but that's not our call.

Opinions rendered on this, or any other web site, are just opinions, and have no bearing on the conduct of the D.C. AG.

Now, please check YOUR facts before making statements about giving anyone a lesson on government.

LexisNexis is an excellent resource.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I was reading other articles on this guy and saw this headline <i>"Aggressive SWAT Team in Full Body Armor Raids Home, Confiscates ONE Dud Shell Casing, Federal Charges Laid." </i> I figured he had a restraining order or something since the ex-wife appears to have turned him in, etc. Regardless, my fault for assuming this news story was correct. One good thing about this site is it keeps people honest. LOL.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
When things like this happen the NRA needs to step it up ! There should be five thousand pro gun, Pro Americans, showing up on the courthouse steps when this guy goes to court.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts