Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DB-81 ON ITS WAY TO THE GUN DOCTOR

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  StonewallRacing 
#1 ·
Ok, Ok. I have been asked by several shooters about what it cost to have Doug Braker do my locking lug in my DB-81 Combo a couple years ago. For those of you with a Perazzi that may need some work, and you're not sure where to send it, I am going to keep a running post on here regarding my DB-81 Combo that I just sent to Doug Braker, the Gun Dr., for some work. I sent it out yesterday, 12-01-08, via UPS Blue Label, insured, at a cost of $75.00. I am having him go through the complete gun and replace, repair, or adjust whatever it needs to bring it back to like new condition. Here is what I "think" it's going to need.
1) New locking block
2) New top lever spring
3) Re-time the ejectors
4) Forend lug may need tightening
5) All new springs, except hammer leaf springs.
6) Re-fitting of the single and the O/U barrels to match the new locking lug.

I will keep this post active and will let you all know exactley what Doug finds when he gets the gun. I will also supply all the costs associated with each item so you will all have at least some ideas as to what it will cost if you need to have your Perazzi worked on. Anyone with questions, please PM me....Thanks... Dan Thome (Trap2)

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Doug got the gun today, Wednesday, 12/3/08. I just received this message from him:

Dan, I can manually push the trip rod forward to check the ejector timing. Top lever spring is quite weak, I'm sure that was the leading cause. The sgl bbl was also quite loose while the gun was opened. I'll tighten it up. It looks as if you would of had another 10-15 thousand rounds before the bolt would have needed to be rebuilt. 30-40 thousand is about the life of a locking bolt. Everything will be tight and sound when you get it back. Doug

I'll return with a complete list of what he did, and what it cost as soon as he really gets into the gun. His workmanship and his prices are quite reasonable. His turn around time the last time I sent it in was very quick. I sent it UPS Blue and had him ship it back UPS Blue and it took all of 11 days from start to finish.

Dan Thome (Trap2)

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I got a call from Doug on Friday letting me know that my gun will be on its way back Monday. He informed me he had discovered a few unexpected problems and wanted to let me know what they were. The single barrel was from another gun and was never properly fitted to the receiver. This caused the barrel to not seat properly on the hinge pin and wouldn't allow a flush lock up between the barrel face and the receiver. This contributed to the premature wear of the locking block, and loosening of the forend on the single. I told him to go all the way and do whatever was necessary to bring the gun back to "like new" condition. Keep in mind this gun is a 1982 DB-81, and has had a lot of rounds through it. I am anxiously awaiting the guns return to see how it is. Doug assured me it is as tight, or tighter, than a new gun and will take about 1000 rounds to get it properly broken in. I will attempt to send pictures of the gun, the work, and the invoice when I get it back. Doug really is one of, if not, the best to deal with......... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Rick..... I know about a few loads that will do that myself. May even have a "few" loaded up in the shop right now. I may come up for the shoot and shoot with Bill Whalan if I can get the time off. It's a long drive from Eureka, but, I really would like to see you guys..... I'll do my best to get up there......Dan

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Friday, Dec. 12, 2008 10:10am.....

IT'S BACK!! It just came in on UPS and I just opened the box. The gun arrived in pristine condition. Doug packaged it very well to protect it from any damage, and shipped it back insured. Here is what was done to the gun:

1) Rebuild locking bolt and refit both barrels.............. $125.00

2) Weld forend lug to tighten action on single barrel....... $125.00

3) Refit forend iron to fit single barrel................... $ 40.00

4) Replace top lever spring with new spring................. $ 6.00

5) Adjust ejector/hammer cocking timing to match............ $ N/C

6) $7000 insurance and return shipping charges.............. $ 63.93

The grand total for all this work is $359.93. Doug shipped the gun back on ups on Dec. 8th. Total turnaround time from sending it off to getting it back; 11 days!!

Now, a little side note here on Dougs work. It is absolutely perfect in every way. Not only did he do everything I asked for, he even called me to suggest I address the forend fit on the single. He showed me he cared about what I wanted for my gun and took the time to contact me and discuss it. For my money, you could not ask for better service or workmanship from any gunsmith, anywhere. If you have any questions, please PM me and I will be happy to respond.

Doug, thank you very much for everything. You are to be commended for your style of doing business. You don't see a whole lot of that in this day and age. Thanks for taking care of me and my "Sweetheart DB-81". I appreciate it very much... Happy Holidays, my friend..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.