Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter called me and asked about carrying something other than her Walther .380. She wants a little more oomph and a semi-auto? I'll bet there are a lot of suggestions out there. .40 maybe? S&W? How about your help. Thanks, Bulge.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i have a springfield xdm 40 it has the double stack 16 rd mags i really like the gun very accurate its the 3.8 barrel she may find it on the heavy side with the double stack mags she might prefer the single instead good luck

·
Registered
198 Posts
My daughter likes the S & W 9-C.....still double stacked.....she practice's double and triple trigger control.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
I would look at some priorities 1. Is she going to open or conceal carry? many semi auto's are marketed as concealable till you try to conceal them. 2. If she is wanting to take a jump up in cal. how large a cal. does she want to practice with and be able to control ? 3. I would think there is a range somewhere where she lives that does rentals and would be able to try some different models. Especially to take a good look at carry options gun leather---purse ect. 4. How easy is it to be able to rack the slide on various compact semi auto models? Take a good look at that as it varies along with how easy are the mags. to load---- single stack vs. double stack ect. I like the Glock 30 S/26/27 as they are a nice shooters and in the right situation easy to conceal. Depending on budjet there are a lot of choices out there, if she has a higher budjet I have seen some woman choose the Kimber Ultra Carry or Ultra TLE. With the 1911 platform there is definitely more to learn but there are nice choices available.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Do her a favor and have her get a 9mm in whatever model she decides on. All these people who only consider 40's and lightweight small 45's I wonder about. We are talking female here and I do not mean that in a demeaning way at all!!! Can she shoot one handed, weak hand, can she handle a 40 or 45 once she is wounded or trying to drag/carry a loved one? My wife shoots around 5-6K rounds per year between 22, 38 and 9mm with a few 45's thrown in and I will only allow her to carry a 9mm in Glock 19 or a J Frame 38. There is a reason many agencies are dumping the 40cal and going back to 9mm.....so the staff can handle them and qualify with them.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
To carry something concealed on daily bases is very different from service & house use. If it's not comfortable or too heavy, there's a chance you might leave home without it at some point, then it's not a mater of if you have enough gun or fire power, you have none. The bigger is better factor doesn't work well here.

So, I'd pick S&W shield in 9mm or Glock 43.

Reactions: Chance McCall

·
Banned
495 Posts
berrelbuldge,

Unless you daughter is very good with pulling a gun prior to protecting her self get her a revolver that dose not have an exposed hammer. When it must be pulled in a hurry one does not want the hammer snagging on clothing or contents of a purse. A .38 cal. hollow point can doe a good job when pointed a center mass. Roger C.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Well a handgun is like a pair of shoes. If the gun doesn't fit the hand it's useless. If there is a local gun shop with an indoor range and you can rent handguns then she should do so. Personally I like the S&W M&P 9 or a 45acp but I'm a big girl and a 45acp is not a problem for me as it may be for smaller women or men. Of course as women we have more options when it comes to carrying a firearm. Heck I have purses that can serve double duty if I want to carry a S&W model 28 with an 8 3/8 barrel.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: How is she going to carry it in a purse or on her body? What is her physical size etc. Hard to suggest without more details. I would suggest a 9mm as well. Get some good defensive ammo and also practice ammo as well. A Glock 19 or Glock 26 and Glock 43 are good options and easy to learn to take down and clean. 40 S&W can be a handful to shoot with defensive ammo and someone with a smaller frame. The Glock 36 is a nice carry but it is a 45acp and is not that bad to shoot even for smaller framed people. The Kel Tec P32 with Silvertips is a good pocket pistol. Lastly a Kimber Solo with laser is very nice but check to see if it likes the ammo you will be shooting in it. I have shot lots of others but these are the ones I know the best. Thanks, Eric

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Do her a favor and have her get a 9mm in whatever model she decides on. All these people who only consider 40's and lightweight small 45's I wonder about. We are talking female here and I do not mean that in a demeaning way at all!!! Can she shoot one handed, weak hand, can she handle a 40 or 45 once she is wounded or trying to drag/carry a loved one? My wife shoots around 5-6K rounds per year between 22, 38 and 9mm with a few 45's thrown in and I will only allow her to carry a 9mm in Glock 19 or a J Frame 38. There is a reason many agencies are dumping the 40cal and going back to 9mm.....so the staff can handle them and qualify with them.

If you don't mean it in a demeaning way then let her pick out the gun she is comfortable with instead of forcing her to carry what you think she should.

·
Registered
180 Posts
IMO, a double action revolver makes the most sense for a carry gun. What's the chances of a DA revolver jamming vs a semi auto? If a revolver doesn't fire you just pull the trigger again. If a semi doesn't fire you may be dead.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Bulge,

Personally I think the Walther 380 is ideal . It's comfortable to carry , easy to conceal, holds 9 rounds and
is easy to operate especially for women. In addition to being up to the task in stopping power
it is a very well made handgun.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Modern defensive ammunition has made smaller center fire calibers significantly more effective than in bygone years. Bigger and more powerful is less important than practice and confidence. Trust your ability's, trust your weapon and trust your ammo! If at all possible, try before you buy! There is a reason the 40cal is falling into disfavor, it is very snappy using defensive loads making quick second shots difficult.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks All,

I'm the daughter he is asking for. I don't shoot often but I'm pretty capable when I do. I've earned my "expert" ribbon. Usually carry my .380 (hollow points) and I like it but I'm also looking for a new friend. Figured I would go with a little more power for the next one. I do belong to a club so access to practice is not a problem. Not in a hurry to replace something I'm good at with something I'll need to work at. Definitely want a semi-automatic. Don't really want a 9mm. Need something I can conceal on a 5'6" frame and more importantly, it needs to fit my hand. I don't have man hands. Looked at a S&W. M&P today and liked it but haven't got to shoot one.

Heather

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
Your approach to the issue seems right on to me. Good luck.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Heather Welcome to ts.com :) I sounds like you have put the time in work with your .380, from you description of concealing on a 5' 6" frame ultimately the slimmer the frame the better if you are going to use a inside the waistband holster say something like a Galco summer special. If you are going outside the waistband and plan on using some sort of tight high ride say covered by suit coat or pullover then alittle thicker slide and frame is not a problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
The S&W M&P comes in a couple of flavors other than 9mm.

I'd suggest looking for the M&P40c or M&P45c, "c" means "compact."

Also, keep in mind that if you get a 40 you can buy a drop in 357SIG barrel and shoot that round too, without needing to buy different magazines. Sort of a two-for-1 deal.

If you get an M&P I would also suggest buying some parts to clean up the trigger pull/feel.

I think they've improved that in the years since I've purchased mine, but it (the pull weight and feel) could probably still benefit from a couple of new parts.

Namely the sear and the striker block. Apex Tactical makes excellent replacement parts for these two items that will cost about $75 total.

You can also look at other brands, of course.

For most people, the choice really comes down to how the pistol feels in your hand.

Some people like Glocks, some don't. Same for S&W, or Kahr, or SIG, or HK, or you name it.

Handle, at least, any pistol that you're thinking about. Shoot it, of course, if you can.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts