Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Gov is now adding more Ethanol into our gas. 15% now. To older cars and trucks its death. Car companies are saying if you use this gas they will not cover any damage it does.

Its bad enough to have that 10%. Now its going to be 15%. My car use to get 27mpg on the highway but now I get 23 to 24mpg. So please how good is it when it cost US more?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Obeyme wants you to $hitcan your good old car before its time and buy a new one....kinda like helping the manufacturers.....jmho.....m

·
Registered
818 Posts
I know Ethanol drops my gas mileage down about 4 mpg, doing the math unless I messed up it saves money to pay extra for the pure gasoline. Interesting fact in the same area. A friend came by with his new car, it's a Dodge Dart with the turbo engine, pretty fast little bugger. We were talking about it, he had just taken a couple of long trips and accidentally found that turning the traction control OFF adds 14mpg!!! He tested it several times driving conservatively each time. I'm trying to get my head around that. I could understand if he were driving it enthusiastically so the traction control would be putting the brake on different wheels but he's driving it cautiously trying for max mileage. The kicker is the ON position is the default so he has to remember to turn it off every time or lose mileage. Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Ethanol has cost me a ton of cash over that last number of years, it is a real problem in small engines, like snow blowers, grass trimmers and the like. These machines are not run all year and the fuel deteriorates in the tank and gums everything up. I only use premium fuel that does not contain any ethanol for small engines.

CCW ... I don't know about the mileage aspect, but my Wife has a GMC Terrain with the traction control. She drives a lot of highway and blew a left front tire at 75 MPH. She didn't even initially realize that the tire was blown. She heard the noise and thought it was the semi beside her. All that was left of the tire was the edge of the casing around the rim. She was able to safely pull over and stop on the side of the road. The only damage was a small scratch on the front left corner of the front valance panel. All I bought was four new tires. Traction control saved my Wife. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
My wife drives an AWD Toyota Rav4 with traction control. I don't believe on hers you can shut it off. That car/SUV handles better than anything I have ever driven on rain, snow, sleet and of course dry pavement. I feel good knowing she is driving a vehicle that helps avoid human driving errors. Now my truck you can turn off the traction control. I never noticed any MPG advantage.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Just a point, Traction control and stability control are two different things. Traction control on a Turbo my "intervene" on every acceleration event.
And most modern traction (and stability) control do not JUST USE BRAKES!
Traction control is a balance between fuel/spark and brakes being the "big lever" to stop the momentum of the rotating mass (tires and wheel)!
The point is the first intervention for traction is reduced torque, through fuel and spark reductions!
So with some application is traction were calibrated "too aggressively", it might be "active" on every acceleration or stab of the throttle!

·
Registered
12,447 Posts
Ethanol should be banned from being added to gasoline PERIOD.

It is a total waste of water and Corn!!

But hey, its the guberment telling us again what they believe is best for us, just like OboCare!!!!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
If it bothers you DON'T use it. Very simple solution to the problem!!

I use it in my snow blower, lawn mower, weed eater, hedge trimmer, garden tiller, chain saw and everything thing else that takes a spark plug with NO ill effects. You people must be getting the bottom of the barrel.

·
0 Posts
"Debunking a lot of these myths" she says.

That is the funniest damn thing I've ever heard.
Phase separation occurs when you introduce water into the mixture.
So as long as you don't pour a bottle of water into your tank at every fill-up you will not experience phase separation.

And by the way, get out and watch the news, would you? The EPA is currently in the process of reducing the ethanol blending mandate from 18 billion gallons per year to 15 billion gallons per year. Click link ^^^^^

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Rick, I don't think you should run your engines dry, especially two cycle engines. If the carburetor dries out the diaphragm could stick to the carburetor body. I have been spraying a fogging oil into my two cycles to prevent problems. Ethanol ate up the diaphragm on my Husqvarna leaf blower. Ethanol has caused no trouble with any of my 4 stroke engines. Gasoline won't turn to varnish very quickly. I once started up an f100 pick up that sat in my uncle's barn lot for three years and drove it home. It had half a tank of gas in it.

·
0 Posts
I agree Johnny. For my small engine applications I use premium 93 octane fuel without ethanol and I add Seafoam as a fuel preservative.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
And just how do "you don't use it?" It is mandated here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland and many other states.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The government is not "adding more ethanol into our gas." E15 is just another flavor that has been sold in a number of places here in MN just as E85 is sold. Any pump selling it has warnings that it is not be used in vehicles not compatible with >10% ethanol (may only be used in vehicles manufactured since 2001 and flex-fuel vehicles.

There is no mandate requiring 15% ethanol be used anywhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Isn't it stupid !!! You buy gas that is 10% ethanol, so you are only really getting 9/10 of a gallon of REAL gas. However; you also get a 10% reduction in fuel economy. So how are we saving the planet by using the exact same amount of real gas to go the same distance on that real gas???

OH the logic of government & tree huggers.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Whach'em, The government has proposed a MANDATE "http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/190258-epa-chief-renewable-fuel-mandate-safe-for-cars"
to require E15 is gasoline sold. It has not passed YET. But if the EPA so mandates, there will be NO CHOICE!
ANd yes! E15 can be very harmful to even new cars and cause CELs (check engine lights) at false fails.
I calibrated Flex fuel(up to E85 levels) vehicles as well as "normal" fuel applications. I've done real "testing" and in cold climates E85 and E15 reduce fuel economy more than the "expected" for their respective levels of Ethanol.
That is because while the "normal" warm engine fuel economy loss is known to most folks, the cold engine and "transient" fuel requirements using Ethanol is much higher loss than Steady state "normal" fuel economy. You must use a much Richer mixture (yes even straight gasoline is enriched) for cold weather starts, but the percent enrichment, at cold temperatures is even greater (than the energy loss at normal operation)for Ethanol. Ethanol is also a much more severe
"oil film" destroyer during cold starts, as Ethanol can wash the oil film off cylinder walls much quicker than "enriched" gasoline. So engine durability over time is also a factor with Ethanol use!!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Timberfaller I agree with you on NO ETHANOL.

Like To Shoot, go ahead and use 15% Ethanol in your small engines. If you are smart you will ask your small engine repair shop before you do. They will tell you to go ahead and do so. Why? Because you will help them keep their doors open and make then rich.

Ethanol will damage gaskets and hoses in older cars and trucks. Go talk to some antique car people. They refuse to put any gas in that might have ethanol. Ethanol is not helping anyone but the gas co and this gov on taxes. Its screwing the people.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I can see no performance difference between ethanol and regular gasoline, but I do get 10% better mileage with regular gasoline. I see no benefit to using 10% ethanol for 10% less mileage.

·
0 Posts
To say that a ten percent ethanol blend will/does result in a ten percent mileage reduction is untrue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts