Trapshooters Forum banner

CZ-USA Trap Combo question?

16K views 65 replies 27 participants last post by  mg1polo 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any info, experience or opinions on the CZ Trap Combo? Or CZ-USA as a company?

I was looking over the Trap model at the PA State shoot and it really looks and feels like a nice gun. I know they are new to the game and there are not a lot out there but the features vs price make me want to consider this as a possible option for my next gun.

#2 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any info, experience or opinions on the CZ Trap Combo? Or CZ-USA as a company?

I was looking over the Trap model at the PA State shoot and it really looks and feels like a nice gun. I know they are new to the game and there are not a lot out there but the features vs price make me want to consider this as a possible option for my next gun.
CZ handguns and rifles are great but their shotguns are made in Turkey.
Not way high up on the quality list.

#3 ·
Here's what I know about CZ-USA. They are based here in the Kansas City area and I have met their president, and shot clays with her and her husband many times. Alice Poluchova. Nice lady.

CZ makes excellent quality handguns and rifles.

As far as I know, their shotguns are made by Huglu in Turkey.

Huglu, like many Turkish manufacturers have a spotty past. Will this gun be better?

Who knows?

Reactions: firedawg
#10 ·
I will be following this thread as well. As a coach with six or seven possible buyers. I have had this gun in my hands and was very impressed by the quality of wood on the one I saw. Action is very tight. The total package is well thought out. I can't wait to have these kids shoot the CZ at the sctp nationals. After speaking with CZ by phone they were very helpful and assured me that cz will start to have a presence at these bigger shoots.

#11 · (Edited)
Son of a bee-otch!

How come every time one of these threads gets started we have to have a bunch of suggestions about buying a used this or that? It's way beyond tiresome, as the suggestions come straight out of the blue and are not in any way solicited by the OP. If he'd asked for "this or that?" opinions, that'd be one thing. He didn't, however; he asked about experience with a particular model. Same thing with the TriStar threads.

Yeah, there have been many Turkish guns that were poorly made and couldn't withstand the pounding that even a recreational trapshooter put them through. That doesn't mean that the newer stuff isn't a hell of a lot better. Until you've had some type of experience with them, the suggestions that "you'd be better off buying a used yada, yada yada" are completely without merit.

#16 ·
Yeah, trying to help someone from making a $2000 mistake is horrible. Shame on us for that. You keep shooting your POS and good luck when it breaks. I've been there, done that... twice. I am not speaking out of my ass. I know what they are good for, and it ISN"T competitive shooting with thousands of rounds a month. They won't hold up.

#14 ·

If you buy it you had better keep it. Whether or not these Turk guns have gotten better or not is open to much debate.
What has not gotten better are the prices of used Turk guns. Too many folks have been burned by them and so their value is at rock bottom.

#17 ·
If you don't want a quality, well cared for, used gun in the same price range of the CZ, then buy the new crap-ola.
Hey bossbasl, I'm still waiting for that detailed critique on the deficiencies of the TT-15 innards based on the highly illustrative photos that Wadhopper posted in the other thread. Remember, you called it a "machinist's nightmare" or something of the sort after claiming that somebody brought one to your club and took it apart right there on the spot, and you subsequently made your expert evaluation. Do you think you can get to that soon? I'll gladly dig up the thread with the photos, if necessary.

Yeah, trying to help someone from making a $2000 mistake is horrible. Shame on us for that. You keep shooting your POS and good luck when it breaks. I've been there, done that... twice. I am not speaking out of my ass. I know what they are good for, and it ISN"T competitive shooting with thousands of rounds a month. They won't hold up.
Do you have substantial personal experience with the CZ Combo? How about with the TriStar TT-15? If not, you have no legitimate basis for comparing them with anything. ANYTHING! Previous guns from the same company or same country of origin don't fit that bill, period. Every gun needs to be judged on its own merits.

Quite a few (think they) know-it-alls around here.

#18 ·
Hey bossbasl, I'm still waiting for that detailed critique on the deficiencies of the TT-15 innards based on the highly illustrative photos that Wadhopper posted in the other thread. Remember, you called it a "machinist's nightmare" or something of the sort after claiming that somebody brought one to your club and took it apart right there on the spot, and you subsequently made your expert evaluation. Do you think you can get to that soon? I'll gladly dig up the thread with the photos, if necessary.

Do you have substantial personal experience with the CZ Combo? How about with the TriStar TT-15? If not, you have no legitimate basis for comparing them with anything. ANYTHING! Previous guns from the same company or same country of origin don't fit that bill, period. Every gun needs to be judged on its own merits.

Quite a few (think they) know-it-alls around here.
Not know it all's, just know enough not to buy a Turkish gun!

Why does your opinion of my opinion have more value? I don't believe it does.

I have shot a CZ. My brother bought one new. Broke about 5 times in a few months. He sold the POS. He shoots a Browning now.

#19 ·
A friend bought a CZ and had continuous problems with it. CZ finally replaced the gun with a new one. That new one is unfired and for sale at a discount. If you're interested, send me a PM and I will get you in touch. His experience with CZ will save you some money. He considers them junk so you're in a good bargaining position if you want to try to prove him wrong (or right).

#21 ·
I'm happily shooting a pair of Browning's (BT-99 and Citori) and was interested in finding a combo to "simplify" my life (Ha Ha!).

I have been looking at used 682's, used Perozzi's, used ...used...used guns. My issue is how used are theses guns ... it is hit or miss, some may be light and some may have 150,000 rounds through them. I'm stashing the cash and will buy something some day but the price of the CZ Trap Combo is very affordable and I was thinking this could be a case where a company is discounting a gun to get a foothold in the market. The wood, features and price make a compelling argument to consider this gun. So I am looking for anyone that knows anything about the reliability of this gun or CZ shotguns.

Thank you for the input on the quality of Turkish shotguns, definitely something to keep in mind.

#24 ·
I'm happily shooting a pair of Browning's (BT-99 and Citori) and was interested in finding a combo to "simplify" my life (Ha Ha!).

I have been looking at used 682's, used Perozzi's, used ...used...used guns. My issue is how used are theses guns ... it is hit or miss, some may be light and some may have 150,000 rounds through them. I'm stashing the cash and will buy something some day but the price of the CZ Trap Combo is very affordable and I was thinking this could be a case where a company is discounting a gun to get a foothold in the market. The wood, features and price make a compelling argument to consider this gun. So I am looking for anyone that knows anything about the reliability of this gun or CZ shotguns.

Thank you for the input on the quality of Turkish shotguns, definitely something to keep in mind.
I believe you're spot on. Unless your buying used from a respected dealer that can verify factory service intervals or there's a quality paper trail of service, you simply cannot know what all was done throughout the life of a used "quality" firearm. For all you know, an ad advertising a like new gun may have been put in a vice to give it that "still tight" feeling and will open up after a few weeks of shooting.
I haven't heard much about the new CZ but it looks good, hell...I'm considering it just as a comparison to my TT15.

#25 ·
I have a CZ Woodcock o/u in 20 gauge that I use for skeet. It was a Father's Day gift from my wife several years ago. It's a 2010 serial number gun and has given me no problems 2-3k rounds through it so far. I hear the earlier guns had problems, but again none for me. I keep looking for one in 12 ga for skeet or trap doubles, but they are few and far between. I did look and handle the sporting guns the op is asking about at the NRA show a couple of years ago. Nice guns, but for long term durability and support, I would still go for a Browning, or other favorite mainline brand.

#35 ·
ditchparrot: A previous post you are referencing did not state the owner pulled the stock and stripped the receiver; that was your interpretation, and you are wrong. The machining I examined was viewing the receiver from the knuckle toward the standing breech. This is the machining I referred to as "making a machinist cry." If this is TriStar's idea of how the interior of a receiver should be machined, I'd shutter to thing of what the interior machining that can't be viewed by just detaching the barrel looks like. Can't recall viewing anything quite like it; and I've seen more than my share of sub-par shotgun manufacturers that either discontinued operations or just continued to produce crude products that catered to a few fools who lost money by desperately hoping they would find a "diamond in the rough". I'll let you explain if you fit with the latter. For your sake, I hope you are being compensated for the blather you continually express for shotguns made in Turkey.

This should calm your enthusiasm for acting as a foolish shill for your beloved TriStar and all other manufactured goods from Turkey (including CZ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.