Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I cannot speak directly about the CZ. My impression is they made Huglu clean up its act a lot when they started working with them. There still seems to questions.
If you looking for a less expensive entry level combo, new, I'd look at the SKB. Yes..still made in Turkey, but you won't find too many stones being thrown. All the feedback seems to be pretty positive.

Trail

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Son of a bee-otch!

How come every time one of these threads gets started we have to have a bunch of suggestions about buying a used this or that? It's way beyond tiresome, as the suggestions come straight out of the blue and are not in any way solicited by the OP. If he'd asked for "this or that?" opinions, that'd be one thing. He didn't, however; he asked about experience with a particular model. Same thing with the TriStar threads.

Yeah, there have been many Turkish guns that were poorly made and couldn't withstand the pounding that even a recreational trapshooter put them through. That doesn't mean that the newer stuff isn't a hell of a lot better. Until you've had some type of experience with them, the suggestions that "you'd be better off buying a used yada, yada yada" are completely without merit.
Not Many, ALL!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Richbandit thanks for the reply. While all are assuming they are made by huglu it's nice to know they are not. Trail we have looked at the SKB actually have 5 of them as club guns. In my opinion they don't hold a candle to the cz as far as finish and wood.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I cannot speak directly about the CZ. My impression is they made Huglu clean up its act a lot when they started working with them. There still seems to questions.
If you looking for a less expensive entry level combo, new, I'd look at the SKB. Yes..still made in Turkey, but you won't find too many stones being thrown. All the feedback seems to be pretty positive.

Trail
I owned an SKB unsingle. I bought it new. A GC7 grade 3. Nice gun, beautiful wood on it. I didn't shoot it well, so I moved on. I put several thousand rounds through it with not a single hic-up. I sold it to my nephew and he is still shooting it. Still no problems.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Richbandit thanks for the reply. While all are assuming they are made by huglu it's nice to know they are not. Trail we have looked at the SKB actually have 5 of them as club guns. In my opinion they don't hold a candle to the cz as far as finish and wood.
Hoytshooter,
I could be wrong, but I believe CZ's break action shotguns are made by Huglu. Not the pumps or autos or rifles. As for fit and finish...I think for a trap gun #1 priority is how is holds up to 1000's of rounds. My own opinion (I've owned a Huglu side x side) is the CZ's are just fine for hunting guns. I don't think they're designed to be target guns. In the end you have to like what your shooting, so go for it if that's the direction you want to go!

Trail

·
Registered
474 Posts
Trail see above richbandit owns the combo and said that it is not made by huglu. July 12 can't get here soon enough looking forward to shooting the cz. Would really like to get a demo to really put it through the ringer as a club gun will see. If it don't hold up I will be disappointed. Nice to see a combo that kids can get into at a fair price.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I called CZ on this today. Dave Miller from from CZ called me back. Class act...spent about 10 min on the phone with me. You're right...made in Turkey but by Akkar. He said its made for heavy shooting. Was very enthusiastic about the product. CZ has a good reputation for support. Only concern he left me with it sounds like the length of pull does not go shorter than 14 5/8.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I called CZ on this today. Dave Miller from from CZ called me back. Class act...spent about 10 min on the phone with me. You're right...made in Turkey but by Akkar. He said its made for heavy shooting. Was very enthusiastic about the product. CZ has a good reputation for support. Only concern he left me with it sounds like the length of pull does go shorter than 14 5/8.
Just wondering, did you expect the company rep to say anything BUT good things about them? I'm not saying they are bad, but if you go by that review, that is MORE than a little biased.

Good luck!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I left a random voice mail and didn't expect a call back from the company's shotgun product manager. That impressed me...I didnt get some clerk. He gave some details about the design of the firing pin and the bushings they run through along with some other details that I didn't understand. I feel better about the product having talked to the guy. He talked about Turkish guns in general, that there are about 125 gun makers over there, and that they partnered with Akkar for a reason. I don't think they're selling a Perazzi. If you want to discount the conversation then suit yourself. I took the time to call them and they were good enough to call back.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I am not discounting the conversation. I didn't hear any of it. What I am saying is, it's like calling a Ford dealer and asking their opinion of which Chevrolet to buy. They are going to talk up their product whether it's good or not.

Once again, not saying anything good or bad about the product in question. I am questioning the validity of the review from the company itself. It is going to be biased.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A friend of mine has a bunch of Huglus. Sporting Clays O/U, Trap Combo ( It is a 34 TS and 32" O/U), also a 20 and 28
O/U Sporting Models. Shoots the trap gun and sporting guns weekly and has had no problems with them. Several have been shot for a year or more. He also has several of their side by sides. Maybe the quality is better than they were in the past. Time will tell the story.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trail see above richbandit owns the combo and said that it is not made by huglu. July 12 can't get here soon enough looking forward to shooting the cz. Would really like to get a demo to really put it through the ringer as a club gun will see. If it don't hold up I will be disappointed. Nice to see a combo that kids can get into at a fair price.
Where are you going on July 12? Cardinal Center?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I called CZ on this today. Dave Miller from from CZ called me back. Class act...spent about 10 min on the phone with me. You're right...made in Turkey but by Akkar. He said its made for heavy shooting. Was very enthusiastic about the product. CZ has a good reputation for support. Only concern he left me with it sounds like the length of pull does not go shorter than 14 5/8.
Dave is an outstanding guy. He will not lead you astray!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a cz redhead target and sent it out too tron space gun works to get a Adjustable Comb and Adjustable Buttplate I shoot about 400 rounds a week and I still have no problems with her shoot good so far it has about 3000 rounds

·
Registered
70 Posts
Believe it or not, most of your foreign guns have many Turkish parts in them. Some are even made %100 in turkey but run through a quality control plant then labeled as Made in Italy ect. Beretta, Fabarm, Benelli, Mossberg, FN, and browning are all guilty of this just to name a few.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts