Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 34 inch Browning Cynergy Trap unsingle barrel there is a steel plug in what would have been the top barrel. It looks like it is screwed in, as there appear to be threads at the collar (it is hard to be sure, though). The plug is slotted, so I tried to unscrew it. I will not budge.
I called Browning and asked, but they were absolutely no help, saying only that it was designed to not be removable. The CS person evaded the questions when I asked why and how it was held in.
I have a K32 trap barrel with a similar setup on which the plug is easily removed to accommodate an adjustable weight as a balancer. I would like to do the same with the Cynergy.
Does anyone know how to remove that plug? has anyone else tried?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts

Either of these will remove your plug. The homemade tool is simply a washer welded to a 3/8 extension. The "factory" tool is a 1911 Bushing Wrench, which may need to be filed down a hair to fit the socket. It is an aviation fitting. A helicopter mechanic had one in his toolbox and cobbled up the homemade one for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that. Couldn't get it to budge. I am reluctant to apply heat as it will probably damage the bluing. Am I missing something or do I just need to find a gorilla to help me unscrew the plug?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 725 unsingle with a slotted plug. It screwed out real easy with screw driver. Lots of room inside for weight.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That should screw out quite easily and actually had a friend machine a replacement weight to thread in, in it's place. Try letting a good penetrating oil sit overnite, then put in vice with the largest flathead screwdriver you can find. As for the weight, my friend has since passed away, but any machinist should be able to do similar.

Jeff Graupp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts