Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, looking for another gun to be a backup/doubles/go shoot with my kid sometimes gun. My son shoots a BT-99 with recoil reducer right now for singles and just started shooting handicap. We just began trap shooting this year. So, Im debating between a used cynergy CX or a new TT-15 DTA. I think i could get either for the same price. Looking for opinions on which why some of you would go given my purpose for it? Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,649 Posts
You will get all kinds of answers on this one, ultimately if I was spending my money between the two I would get the Browning.

I own a tri star and it never leave the gun safe as I have alot of other trap guns--if you purchase the Browning and decide to sell or trade to move up you will get better value on your money.

Performance wise Im sure there will be plenty of CX owner here that will comment on how the platform is treating them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skeetman has it right. Get the Citori not the Cynergy.
The Citori is not one of the options. The Tristar and the used Cynergy are the only options I mention since the citori is why over on price for this budget. Thanks for the advise but why not the cynergy? Or did you mean get citori if it was between citori and cynergy?

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
The Citori is not one of the options.
It is your best option. The Cynergy is hard to work on. You can't have a release trigger installed on it. Some models have a special recoil pad design. Which keeps the owners from buying a proper target shooting pad. Factory pads tend to run as hard as hockey pucks!!! All this adds up to a shotgun you should pass on. As is the Tristar as well. Just forgetaboutit!!!

Buy a used Citori line of shotguns. You should be able to find a older Invector plus model Browning shotgun from the early 90's for close to a grand about now. These would be the older models with a blued receiver. The GTI's models come to mind, as do the special line of shotguns that came in skeet/ trap/ & sporting Clay's as well. There out there if you look around. Do try to find one from a local shooter or a reputable dealer. You could be spinning a roulette wheel (luck wise) if you buy shotgun on-line from a unknown person these days. I have listed a bunch of good dealers on another thread if you care to look there. You can call or E-mail all of them to see what models of used Browning they currently have in stock and get prices as well. So you have more than 2 choices if you want to continue looking around. Good Luck to the both of you and don't forget to break em all Jeff

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Tri [email protected]
The Citori is not one of the options. The Tristar and the used Cynergy are the only options I mention since the citori is why over on price for this budget. Thanks for the advise but why not the cynergy? Or did you mean get citori if it was between citori and cynergy?
The Citori is easier for me to work on. Pretty much all gunsmiths can work on a Citori. Parts are cheap and plentiful. It's durability is well known.

I don't know if these also apply to the Cynergy. I've looked at the teardown and maintanence of the Cynergy and it was more than I wanted to get involved with.

If you must choose a Cynergy or any Tri Star, I would choose the Cynergy. Brownings barrel regulation is worth it alone in my book.

·
Registered
14,098 Posts
If you have enough money for the tristar, keep saving until you have another 400-500 for the Browning Citori CX. If you can get a used Cynergy CX for $1100 you're doing pretty good, but if it's more than that, save for the Citori. The Citori has been around for almost 50 years, and will have parts and service to outlast you and your sons lifetime even it was discontinued tomorrow, I doubt the same will be said for the Cynergy.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
there,s a few guys that shoot at my club with the Cynergy, now I score and pull while watching these fellows shoot, and in my opinion these Brownings kick like a mule and the special stock has a very narrow comb and hits ya right in the cheek,,,, save your money and buy a used Beretta 682

·
Registered
124 Posts
there,s a few guys that shoot at my club with the Cynergy, now I score and pull while watching these fellows shoot, and in my opinion these Brownings kick like a mule and the special stock has a very narrow comb and hits ya right in the cheek,,,, save your money and buy a used Beretta 682
Another vote for the 682. But if you're still set on your budget I understand, just whatever you do don't buy a tristar.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You can't have a release trigger installed on it. Some models have a special recoil pad design. Which keeps the owners from buying a proper target shooting pad.
[/QUOTE]

You can indeed have a release trigger installed in a Cynergy. I shot with a couple guys that had releases in their Cynergys, and they were both very happy with them. When I posted about this before, some members of Trapshooters contacted the gunsmith and had their Cynergys done. I've heard no complaints, on here or anywhere else.
The "special" recoil pad design is on the field or sporting models, not the trap models.

Don't believe naysayers about the Cynergy. Very few have ever fired a Cynergy, let alone owned one. I have had my Classic Trap model since February 2010, and much prefer it to my Citori I shot for many years. You hear of trigger problems but can't find anyone who actually had one with trigger problems, the odd pad doesn't enter into the argument about trap models, and who cares about resale? If it's a good gun, it fits and shoots where you look, and the price is right, buy it and shoot it for many years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts