Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel that my stock gunstock is a little long for my fit. Feel as through I’m really reaching and stretching for trigger. Can only believe it will get worse as colder temperatures arrive and I’m wearing heavier clothes.

Has anyone done this themselves? I want to do it myself.

Any guides on proper fit/length of butt stock

Any suggestions on type of saw to use?

The butt stock has a rubber cushion I will remove first. How would I shape the rubber cousin to match the new cut.?

Thanks
Ned

·
Vendor
20,386 Posts
Ned. Share some necessary data. What gun and what LOP now. And your basic physical self, Ht, Wt, sleeve length, glove size. Too let us know where you live as there may be someone near that can help you thru this process. You will need a fine band saw. Carpenter tools will destroy the back of the stock. And when yhou use the internet, yyou really must show us pics of y9our gun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Air gun

I have a Stoeger Condor 12 gauge O/U with 26” barrels. I purchased it new 15 years ago. I’ve hunted with it and am just getting back into trap shooting. For now this is the gun I must use. I am a stock 5’7” guy. I have large paws! How can I determine my correct length of pull. A friend said to measure from inside elbow to 1/2 way middle of trigger finger? I live in Rochester NY

Ned. Share some necessary data. What gun and what LOP now. And your basic physical self, Ht, Wt, sleeve length, glove size. Too let us know where you live as there may be someone near that can help you thru this process. You will need a fine band saw. Carpenter tools will destroy the back of the stock. And when yhou use the internet, yyou really must show us pics of y9our gun.

·
Vendor
20,386 Posts
Well, you need large paws to handle that pistol grip. Adn have a friend look at where your cheek bone/eye socket lands on the comb. Correctly placed it should be approx at about the 1/4 back from the front tip or 3/4 forward rfrom gun butt pad. If you face is half way then find someon to whack about 1" off the end of the stock and reinstall the butt pad and fit it as well

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You need to mount your gun. Your hand should be about 3/4”, to 1” from your face. If your gun is 1” too long, start by taking off about 3/8” and mount it again. Don’t take an inch off from the get go.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I researched this topic quite a bit before I cut mine. If you cut off a 1/4” it will move your nose about an inch closer to your thumb. If you are cutting a parallel comb stock you should put in 5 to 7 degrees of pitch. You can measure this by putting the rib flat in the table and finding the angle with a protractor. I cut mine with a power miter saw. Wrapped the stock tight with a couple wraps of masking tape. Spent a lot of time making sure it was right and cut. It was so smooth no sanding was needed. It’s easier to cut more off than add on. But if u have to u can find thicker pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.