Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any reports/anecdotes to share concerning customer service good or bad for
Browning?
Berreta?
Benelli?
Recently had bad luck with a brand new Citori 725 Sporting (double firing)
brand new, first time to range.
Disappointed to say the least by Browning's response.
Seems (to me) since it was defective right out of the box they would have put me on a fast turn around but I am in the same many week wait as all others.
Now I am thinking about customer service FIRST before I buy any other brand and therefore wondering what the consensus is in that regard.
Any recommendations/ comments about other manufacturers?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
All companies are sales companies and part of sales is customer service. Many companies who manufacture products think they are manufactures first and sales are secondary because they may build a decent or maybe a very good product.

It's this thinking of manufacturing verses sales that has taken down more than a few companies, loosing their business to those manufacturers who understand they are a sales company first and foremost and they just happen to manufacture a product line.

In the shotgun segment Guerini is probably the gun manufacturer who understands customer care is number one and has built a successful sales program around this understanding.

Beretta, Browning and a few others have neglected giving a high level of customer care allowing newer companies such as Guerini a strong foothold in a very competitive market segment.

I don't know when if ever these companies who give poor after sales service will improve, after all greater care adds greater cost to a product.

Good luck.................

Surfer

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I had the same issue with Browning - new XT with a small crack in the forearm and it took 4 months to get it back. But why would you think that just because your gun is brand new you should be placed ahead of others waiting for repair? What makes your time any more valuable than the guy ahead of you having work done on a 20 year old gun?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I should clarify. Not so much angst because "my time is more valuable" but rather as a brand new customer with a clearly defective product there should be a mechanism to quickly correct the issue. Just from a customer service point of view. Happy customers make good sales representatives out in the community.
Not being able to even use an expensive product or to have a choice to take it back deserves a rapid fix.
If this were a Mercedes our local shop would put it at the head of the line (the guy with the 20 yr old car probably would have to wait)
I have other shotguns. I will survive this.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I had some near-experiences with Browning but they may be from too long ago to be accurate any more. I bought one of the first Citori plus guns to come in this country and noticed a few quirks with it. Specifically, the rib jingled and "rang" on every shot and the recoil reduction system in the stock that according to the manual needed no lubrication was oozing grease. So I sent a letter to Browning's St. Louis service center asking why those two things were happening.

It took three months to receive a reply stating that the ring rattled because it was adjustable for point of impact and the recoil reduction system oozed grease because it absorbs some of the felt recoil. I had already sold the gun but sure would have after that example of customer service logic and promptness.

The first day of the Grand shortly after the BT-100 came out, I was riding a wagon and overheard several shooters discussing broken BT-100 firing pins. Since I had several friends that did not travel to shoots and owned new BT-100s, I stopped at the Browning building to inquire about those firing pins. The guy who greeted me said that there was no such problem with the BT-100 and that they in fact were 100% trouble-free. I thanked him for his time and walked back to the service desk. I got as far as, "Several of my friends back home own BT-100s and..." when the guy handed me a bunch of firing pins.

Then there's my friend with a "salt gun" that Browning wanted back for new wood. After six months, he received a letter - why not a phone call? - advising him that since his gun had release triggers, they would not work on it unless he paid them to return the triggers to pull. He called to tell them to remove the parts and paid them with a credit card but asked that they send them back with the gun, to which they agreed. Four MORE months later, the gun arrived without the trigger parts. He fought with them for some time before they agreed to pay to have new releases fitted.

Here's a real odd part of that story. The late Guy Daniels, who lived locally, made the releases they were so concerned about and he is the very same person who made every Browning "factory" release when that was an option on new guns. His name was even stamped on those release parts. We had local shooters send their new Brownings back to St. Louis for releases whose guns were shipped right back here for that work, shipped back to Browning by Guy and finally shipped back to the owner who in some case lived in the same town, just blocks from Guy Daniels!

I visited the Beretta sales and service center in Accokeek, Maryland in 2008 and they seemed intent on maintaining a three-week turnaround time on repairs then but I've heard good and bad stories about them as well.

Ed

·
Registered
810 Posts
had a 682gold E sent it back to Maryland never got the gun back!! after some time they sent a check,

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
At the Grand last year I took a Grade 6 citori I shoot dbls with into Browning for the $65.00 annual service special.I told the guy at the counter I wanted the old springs & pins to keep as spares.He wrote that on the work order.When I went back to pick it up,no old springs or pins.I told the counter guy its wrote on the ticket.The fellow who did the work overheard our conversation,got up from the work bench and walked up to the counter.He asked me if I wanted the old parts,then said I could come back at 5:00 p.m.when they closed and could go through the trash and pick out all that I wanted.Since there were women and kids in the display area I didn`t say what I really wanted to but,I did tell him I didn`t think his parents were ever married ,paid my bill and left vowing never to return again...KS-OKIE

·
Sky Buster
4,029 Posts
Several years ago, I had a Beretta 686 that shot the bottom
barrel 10" low. Sent it back to Beretta. After numerous calls
and two letters, six months later, I got it back. They improved
it to only 6" low. People tell me Beretta service has improved
in the last couple of years but they burned me.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I bought a Joel Etchen 687 SPlll , I lost a trigger shoe and one of the rib screws fell off. I called Joel Etchens on the phone and had the replacement part in three days, no charge.

They certainly understand good customer service

John

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Remington/ freedom group sucks!!! Customer service is a thing of the past for most. Buy from a shop that will stand behind you and fight with their distributors and manufactures. A complaint for defective products seeking monetary compensation with a state court seems to work. It's a shame but $35 to file a complaint is the only way they seem to respond.

Remember if a court orders them to pay they have to and the gun is still yours.
Sometimes it means a win win with you keeping the gun and being paid.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Ruger...My Gold label threw a choke tube a couple of years back. Sent it to Ruger and they rebarreled it, blued it, timed it and included new choke tubes not cost to me and just 4 weeks out. Say what you want but Ruger has excellent service.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased a new Remington PREMIER 20 ga sporting from Cabelas in K.C. They wouldn't sell me the one in the rack which had beautiful wood on it. They only had one other one in the box in stock. I purchased it and did not open it until I got home, 150 miles away. It had the straightest plain wood I ever saw. I called the store and told them that this was a premier grade not a buzzard grade. They gave me the Remington Customer Service Reps name and number. I called him and he said sometimes they screw up and put the wrong wood on the Premiers. He said he would send me some new FANCY wood and all I had to do was to send him the other wood back. He had them hand pick me some new wood, which was beautiful and sent it to me. I sent him the straight stuff back and all lived happily ever after. Can't bitch about that. GREAT SERVICE!! Smoggy

·
Registered
390 Posts
A lot of companies try but you can't satisfy everyone all the time. I shoot Guerini's and have had excellent service from them.

One story I like to tell, a shooting buddy that also has a Guerini broke an ejector on the first day of the MD State shoot,a Weds afternoon, he called down to Guerini and explained the situation and he was about 3 hours away, due to traffic he told the gunsmith he might not be able to make it before 5pm. The gunsmith said no problem, he would wait for him if necessary. He got there, gunsmith was waiting, fixed the gun for no charge and he was back shooting it on Thursday.

There are other manufacturers that also provide good service, they understand that it will add to sales, if I'm going to buy a new target gun I look at those manufacturers products as my experience has been if you shoot a target gun long enough it will need service.

JohnR

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ruger, best customer service bar none. I know it doesn't help with your Browning but I sent my Red Label back once for a timing issue. They replaced ALL the worn parts and it shoots better now than it ever did. Cost me nothing but one way shipping. Back in six weeks. Also they disconnected the auto safety that I requested which was supposed to cost me $25 if I remember right. Didn't charge me for that either.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts