Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custers last stand smith and wesson 14-5 38 special 8 3/8 barrel??? This gun has a nickel finish with stag horn looking grips. It's seems to be the Model K-38 Target Masterpiece Revolver Model 14 all fancied up!

A friend has it for sale and we can not find a value for it anywhere. I have searched the internet and can't find anything. Does anybody have any idea what this gun should be worth? It's a 98% gun and some kind of limited edition but I can not find any info anywhere.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Were you planning to post some photos? I've seen several 8-3/8" barreled K-38s. They were not that popular with bullseye target shooters compared to the more "usual" 6" barrel. Stag "looking" grips may be plastic, and if so, detract from the value. Does the revolver have Target Trigger, Target Hammer? Is the barrel pinned? Are the chambers recessed for the cartridge rims? Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks just like a standard K-38 Target Masterpiece Revolver Model 14 that is nickel. I don't have any pics or access to the gun at this moment. What I am hoping is that somebody has a resource that shows it and an approx. value. Smith K-38 Target Masterpiece guns with 8 3/8 inch barrels are going for the better part of 1200 dollars in 98/99% condition. We are just trying to find out if it has any collector value beyond that.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Custer carried a pair of British Bulldog revolvers to the Battle of the Little Bighorn. The revolvers were never recovered even years after the battle when many of the Sioux
took refuge in Canada. Just sayin....

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
It is one of the "Twelve Revolvers" Series that S&W contracted to do for Ellett Bros. in 1990. They were sold by subscription at one a month. Sequentially numbered 1 to 500. The series was never completed as the business relationship dissolved. No information on the number of full sets completed. Have seen them in full sets and also sold separately. The engraving was cheaply done in my opinion and they did not sell well and still do not bring much if any premium.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Getting any kind of production numbers from Smith & Wesson is impossible nowadays unless the gun is marked "1 of 500" or something like that. I recently bought an S&W Doug Koenig edition PC1911 .38 Super that is an exact Performance Center clone of the gun made for their factory shooter. I had to order a part for another gun and while on the phone with customer service, asked how many of them were made. I was told that since S&W is a publicly traded company and production numbers could either influence a person to buy or not buy S&W stock, their customer service personnel are not permitted to disclose those figures. If the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, which was last updated in 2006, doesn't have the information you need, you're pretty much out of luck. My gun was built in three batches - 2005, 2006 and 2009. Mine was made in 2009 and only the 2005 version is in the SCoSW.

Ed

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all that had helpful info. We have a fellow who made an offer of 1200 and that seems more then fair. A friend is helping a widow sell off her husbands guns and we just want to make sure she gets a fair price. The buyer offered 1200 and from what I am reading from Pm's sent to me that is a fair price or maybe even a little high. It wouldn't be my choice if spending 1200 on a smith and Wesson revolver but to each his own.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Custer carried a pair of British Bulldog revolvers to the Battle of the Little Bighorn. The revolvers were never recovered even years after the battle when many of the Sioux
took refuge in Canada. Just sayin....
I don't think that anybody is suffering under the delusion that Custer carried a model 14-5 Nickelplated smith in 38 special at the last stand. The gun was made to recognize that event and make some kind of collector market.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts