Trapshooters Forum banner

Current popular Trap Guns?

6778 Views 56 Replies 49 Participants Last post by  Jr720
Its been 20+ years since I shot any registered targets at an ATA event. At the time I stopped the Italian spaghetti guns were popular, What is the flavor of the day?
My guns are still serviceable,but parts are scarce (3200,870 Comp) might need something newer & improved.
Thanks,
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
13,507 Posts
First off Welcome to TS.com!!!!

The only thing that has changed, is the ability to have removeable chokes. There is not a thing wrong with the shotguns you have already. IMO you should just have your shotguns cleaned up, and have at it. New springs and firing pins will be needed. A good cleaning (degreasing and de-carbonized) with all new grease is a must as well. Now if you have a spare 4 grand laying around??? or more??? That you don't need and its burning a hole in your pocket. Well, We here at TS.com can help you spend some of it. We all have our favorite shotguns. From a few hundred dollar 870 field grade!!! To a deluxe Trap combo from Krieghoff, Kolar, or Perazzi!!! Lots of other makes and models in between as well to fill the void if need be.
So IMO, get your current shotguns serviced and go to town. Spend your money on targets and ammo. A few Lessons never hurt as well. Good Luck on your Journey. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,been out of the game.And recent events (supplies) have me questioning how long I can stay in it this time.Probably good for this year, but after that ??
The only time I have been to the club is for the stockholders meetings.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
wbsjp, welcome to the forum. We appreciate your support as a premium member even if you never fire a shot!! I agree with some others. As a "newbie", shoot what you got. They were good 20 years ago and will still break as many targets as they ever would. Targets have not changed in 20 years, except, some would argue that they have gotten easier. As you have noticed, ammo may be a problem for this year. I would suggest shooting the guns you have while "stockpiling" ammo for the future (they'll call you a hoarder but pay them no never mind). If, after a few thousand rounds, you really feel that your guns are holding you back then by all means spend whatever you can afford to upgrade. As for myself, I splurged just a shade over a $grand for a brand new BT99 in 1993. I'm still shooting it. Picked up a couple of Citoris for doubles, SC, skeet (!) etc. but the BT is still serving me well on the trap field. Sure, there's lots of fancy new guns out there with all manner of adjustable ribs, combs, butt plates, triggers, sights, chokes and parts we haven't identified yet. But you still have to point it at where the target's gonna be before it's scored as an "X". Give yourself a target year to get back in the swing. Good luck!!

· Registered
861 Posts
More information about your expectations might help people give you a better answer. Are you looking within a price range or is money no object? Do you shoot only singles/hcp. or will you be shooting doubles? Do you live near a good gunsmith? How many rounds a year do you plan on shooting? Good luck and it's nice to hear that you are getting back into trapshooting. We need everyone we can get.

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, while I'm new here,I have read lots of posts about the 3200 and 870 Comp and their troubles with parts and gunsmiths to work on them.My 3200 has over 25,000 rds thru it and has been returned to the factory 3 times, that option is no longer available.
During the time I was shooting I won enough money to keep me in shells, good/lucky ? maybe.High90s in 16s,high 80s in Hdc. Doubles,just for fun,
I'm looking for a gun that is dependable and maybe in the $1500 range. A CZ has caught my eye.
\

· Registered
2,107 Posts
My thoughts - get out and shoot. You have two pretty good guns.
After shooting for a while, if you find the gun that you are using is holding you back, you can start to look for a newer one.
It's a good idea to know the problem that you are trying to solve, when looking for a new gun.
I don't see a CZ as a potential high round count gun.
Long term economy guns start with Browning.
Just one old guys thoughts.

· Registered
644 Posts
Yes,been out of the game.And recent events (supplies) have me questioning how long I can stay in it this time.Probably good for this year, but after that ??
The only time I have been to the club is for the stockholders meetings.
[/QUOTE
I would say that if you may be good for just this year, do not invest in anything more than some new shells.

After the first year, and if you are still at it, then look to upgrade. I favor the 3200, it will do all you want with ease.

· Registered
407 Posts
Well, while I'm new here,I have read lots of posts about the 3200 and 870 Comp and their troubles with parts and gunsmiths to work on them.My 3200 has over 25,000 rds thru it and has been returned to the factory 3 times, that option is no longer available.
During the time I was shooting I won enough money to keep me in shells, good/lucky ? maybe.High90s in 16s,high 80s in Hdc. Doubles,just for fun,
I'm looking for a gun that is dependable and maybe in the $1500 range. A CZ has caught my eye.
\
I had a CZ and did not like it, others may, however. I believe most gunsmiths can fix 870's
and Pat Laib , Spencer MN can fix 3200's. I would use your current guns, but try others
you like. Their are excellent used guns on the market, see what you like.

· Registered
134 Posts
So you're a Remington man I see. I agree with others, don't put the cart ahead of the horse. Start shooting again to see if you still enjoy it week in and week out. Just take both guns so you have a backup until your settle on your next purchase. Since you haven't been shooting much for 20 years, I'm guessing you're older, 50's - 60's maybe? You may want to think about minimizing recoil with your next purchase. Lots of recoil absording auto-loaders have been proven in the past 20 years. Many here swear by the Beretta 390/391 platform. The newer backbored Citori CXS and 725 series is supposed to be softer on recoil for a fixed breach gun.

I'd get back out the clubs, start making friends and borrow/shoot as many guns as you can to get reacquainted. I've never turned down a request if someone wanted to try 25 from my SKB's or Citori's. Most other shooters are generous with their guns as well. Good luck.

· Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Welcome! I stopped shooting trap for 20 years and started back with a Browning XT about 8 years ago. It served me well but had to experience newer guns. Discovered I did not like the higher ribs or shoot the new guns as well as I do the older guns. My current favorites are a 40 yo Winchester 101, a 20 yo BT 99, a 25 yo Beretta 682 combo, and my Browning XT. Suggest you join in with your current available guns and have some fun looking for that magic trap gun.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.