Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Wow, I'm glad you think that's CHEAP!
You must have lots of money to spend on powder.
Promo is far, far cheaper and a really good powder.
You can buy it locally and there is NO shipping, fees or Hazmat.
In the end you'll save over 30% over that Nobel stuff.
Buy American,
Mark
Promo IS cheaper, only when you can find it, and many areas are pretty deficient in lots of domestics. And the import bottles are 1.1#, not 14 oz like many domestics, and at #17.99/bottle is really just a shade over $16/#. If not for the imports, many people would not be reloading.

I was fortunate and was pretty stocked up before the big shortage, and am now in a conundrum. After my second hip replacement, I got much better, and decided to devote more time to farming, I had rented it out to others before, and was doing tons of shooting. Don't get me wrong, I like shooting, but it had increased more because I was in constant pain and could barely get around, I could put up with the discomfort to shoot. When we figured things out, and got the replacements, I just decided to go back to what I liked more. Now I sit on about 200# of powder that will prolly last me the rest of my life, or a few more years, in case I decide to throw up my hands again and let some younger guy fight it. should I sell it now, and then if I need it, buy it back later, maybe at higher prices. And there lies my conundrum.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Buy American,
Mark
Let him overpay otherwise he'll post a bunch of charts and tests to show that he's actually paying less and getting more, or at least try to convince us that he is. The last Promo I got was under $11 a pound to my front door.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Buy American,
Mark
How do you know what can be bought locally in all of the lower 48 states?

Why did you just buy 16 lbs of Clays if Promo is so great and cheaper?

mg1polo said:
Finally Clays is available, picked up a few 8 lbs kegs this weekend. It is Made In Canada, Packaged In The USA.
I Paid $117.00 per keg and I'm glad to have it back!

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
How do you know what can be bought locally in all of the lower 48 states?

Why did you just buy 16 lbs of Clays if Promo is so great and cheaper?

mg1polo said:
Finally Clays is available, picked up a few 8 lbs kegs this weekend. It is Made In Canada, Packaged In The USA.
I Paid $117.00 per keg and I'm glad to have it back!

Well that's a very good question with a very simple answer.
The Clays is for my fellow shooting friends that do not travel to shoot as much as I do.
7 states in 5 months, 13 very large venues. Hope you do not mind that I was thinking
about my friends.
Shoot Well,
Mark

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Promo IS cheaper, only when you can find it, and many areas are pretty deficient in lots of domestics. And the import bottles are 1.1#, not 14 oz like many domestics, and at #17.99/bottle is really just a shade over $16/#. If not for the imports, many people would not be reloading.

I was fortunate and was pretty stocked up before the big shortage, and am now in a conundrum. After my second hip replacement, I got much better, and decided to devote more time to farming, I had rented it out to others before, and was doing tons of shooting. Don't get me wrong, I like shooting, but it had increased more because I was in constant pain and could barely get around, I could put up with the discomfort to shoot. When we figured things out, and got the replacements, I just decided to go back to what I liked more. Now I sit on about 200# of powder that will prolly last me the rest of my life, or a few more years, in case I decide to throw up my hands again and let some younger guy fight it. should I sell it now, and then if I need it, buy it back later, maybe at higher prices. And there lies my conundrum.
I can't believe that you can't find Promo. Last shoot I was at, it was stacked up to the roof!
Over 200 kegs on day one, by the end of the week maybe 50 left.
Just saying,
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Part of my recreation is shooting... the objective is to shoot and not to see how cheap I can buy whatever it takes to do it. Promo is great, local price was $102 for 8 lbs. None available for about 2 years now. No Clays...... no Red Dot........ No Green Dot. We can now buy 700X..$142 for 8lbs. $17.75 per lb. and it works great for 12 gauge. Vectan costs less, works better for me and it is available.... I realize other geographic areas have other options, I realize others have different priorities when it comes to components.
My objective is shooting and to do it with the best I can buy and can find. Buy American is a great concept but unfortunately is getting less and less possible as time passes...... whether you are buying powder, guns, or clothes or whatever.
Buy what you can, shoot what you like if you can. For many of us Vectan is the choice........ Larry

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
If you are also a pistol shooter, use something like red dot or green dot since they can be used in pistol loads also. Buy at least 8lbs otherwise the price is bad. Other powders that a lot of people use are promo, 700x, claydot, and American select. Most of the Hodgdon powders like Clays, International Clays, and Universal clays are almost impossible to find. Some of the Winchester powders can also be used but they might take some adjusting to your loader and wads, and also be very careful with them because they take a very small bushing in your loader. There are others out there. Just don't get screwed on the price. For example Green Dot may range anywhere from $115 for 8lbs to $200 depending on the retailer you are buying it from.

·
Banned
853 Posts
Buy American,
Mark
I can buy Vectan 'AS' locally in the Seattle area for $14.99/Lb with no shipping/HAZMAT. 'Nuff said ...

The gun I shoot isn't made in America, the wads I use aren't made in America, the PRIMERS I use aren't made in America, why the hell would I be concerned with where the powder is made ?

·
Banned
272 Posts
Winchester AA Super-Handicap see my post and loads on this powder ( Winchester AA Super-Handicap Powder ) very pleased with the loads I posted great powder

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
I can buy Vectan 'AS' locally in the Seattle area for $14.99/Lb with no shipping/HAZMAT. 'Nuff said ...

The gun I shoot isn't made in America, the wads I use aren't made in America, the PRIMERS I use aren't made in America, why the hell would I be concerned with where the powder is made ?
Oh well, not all of us support our country, to each his own!
That's your choice,
Mark

·
Banned
853 Posts
Well, for one, and as others have already told you, there's no "choice" as you can't get American powders locally, or online.

You are right in that not everyone supports our country (i.e. extreme leftists/liberals etc. who want to see America fail), however, the measure of "supporting our country" has nothing to do with buying smokeless powder. The N.C. that Alliant uses comes from overseas, and Alliant themselves is importing raw components from Maxam, and other overseas companies.

I support my country by paying taxes, donating to the Wounded Veterans foundation, donating to the RNC, voting Republican, and buying American made trucks and cars (which are made with overseas parts).

I challenge you to find someone at your local gun club who who has served in the U.S. armed forces and is buying foreign-made powder for his foreign-made shotgun that he brought to the range in his foreign-made vehicle and tell him or her that they "not all of us support our country" and then let us know how that exchange goes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
OP here again - I finally ran across 8 lb. jugs of 700x and Clay Dot at a local gun shop and decided on the former simply because it was mentioned more often, that and it seems to show up frequently in load data. At my skill level I'm sure it will serve me well. Thanks everyone for the responses.

·
Registered
11,010 Posts
Promo and Green Dot. Green dot is very versatile in other loadings. Promo duplicates Red Dot but you need to weigh it from lot to lot.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Well, for one, and as others have already told you, there's no "choice" as you can't get American powders locally, or online.

You are right in that not everyone supports our country (i.e. extreme leftists/liberals etc. who want to see America fail), however, the measure of "supporting our country" has nothing to do with buying smokeless powder. The N.C. that Alliant uses comes from overseas, and Alliant themselves is importing raw components from Maxam, and other overseas companies.

I support my country by paying taxes, donating to the Wounded Veterans foundation, donating to the RNC, voting Republican, and buying American made trucks and cars (which are made with overseas parts).

I challenge you to find someone at your local gun club who who has served in the U.S. armed forces and is buying foreign-made powder for his foreign-made shotgun that he brought to the range in his foreign-made vehicle and tell him or her that they "not all of us support our country" and then let us know how that exchange goes.[/Q

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts

I challenge you to find someone at your local gun club who who has served in the U.S. armed forces and is buying foreign-made powder for his foreign-made shotgun that he brought to the range in his foreign-made vehicle and tell him or her that they "not all of us support our country" and then let us know how that exchange goes.
Big Deal!

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts

There is plenty of powder, you just do not know where to find it!
Red Dot, Green Dot, Promo, Clay Dot, Extra Light, E3, American Select, these Alliant Powders are all available right now
Clays, International Clays, Clays Universal, All Available from Hodgdon RIGHT NOW!
Don't tell me there is NO powder for gods sake, I load ans shoot over 60,000 rounds a year. Is it more difficult to find? Sure!
I never ran out of powder, and I load for less than $2.00 per box with AMERICAN COMPONENTS!
Buy American,
Mark

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There is plenty of powder, you just do not know where to find it!
Red Dot, Green Dot, Promo, Clay Dot, Extra Light, E3, American Select, these Alliant Powders are all available right now
Clays, International Clays, Clays Universal, All Available from Hodgdon RIGHT NOW!
Don't tell me there is NO powder for gods sake, I load ans shoot over 60,000 rounds a year. Is it more difficult to find? Sure!
I never ran out of powder, and I load for less than $2.00 per box with AMERICAN COMPONENTS!
Buy American,
Mark
$2.00 a box? What's the cost breakdown of your load? Is that with components you just bought or have had stockpiled for awhile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
853 Posts
Clays, International Clays, and Clays Universal are NOT American-made powders ...

None of the powders you are mention are available, not locally, and not online.

If you want quality OEM-grade powder at a great price that folks can buy right NOW, they can buy the Vectan powders at Grafs which has free shipping. I've provided the information above. You've provided nothing but wishful thinking and a skewed view on reality.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
$2.00 a box? What's the cost breakdown of your load? Is that with components you just bought or have had stockpiled for awhile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shot, $5.00 per 25 lb bag. I make shot myself. Over 2 tons per year.
Wads $77.00 - Per 5000 - Down Range
Primers $109.00 Per 5000 - Winchester
Powder $89.00 Per 8 lb - Promo
Everything was purchased in the past 6 months
Regards,
Mark

41 - 60 of 69 Posts