Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I couldn't find any shotgun powder other than the Nobel Sport Vectan powders when I ran out of Clays powder. I found three different places that had Nobel Sport Vectan powders in stock.

I went with the Vectan AS powder in the 1.1 pound containers. The 1.1 pound containers price per pound came out to $16.05 or $128.40 for 8 pounds of powder.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Promo works fine for me, I haven't had any trouble keeping a small supply on hand. Promo is identical to Red Dot but $20 cheaper per keg.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I favor Alliant powders and use Red Dot, E3, Green Dot, Unique and Herco depending on shot weight and desired velocity. I stay between 9,000 and 10,000 PSI. I use more Green Dot than anything else. I used to use Blue Dot for heavy "games" loads. DuPont PB was also a favorite a long time ago,

For rifle, I favor IMR 4895 and VV 133.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Noble Sport for availability, price, performance, and it's a clean burn and meters well in a MEC. Previously shot nothing but Alliant - tired of waiting - glad I made the switch, and don't see myself going back to Alliant.

A high tower true pair yesterday, right to left, with maximum speed. One bird about 75 yds., the other about 85 yds. 1 oz. 7 1/2 @ 1250 using NS Vectan AS @ 19 grs. in a FGM hull with Fed primer and CB 6118 wad - no smoke but they broke using Mirage Special Sporting/Wilkinson, Lt. Mod. and Mod.

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
From 1984 until Clays came out I used Red Dot . Switched to Clays . Ran out of Clays this April . Back to Red Dot . Was able to buy 5-8lbs kegs of Red Dot since April . Only have 3 flats of shells loaded with Clays left . Have loaded 15 flats of shells with Red Dot .I doubt I go back to Clays , but I`m not ruling it out .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't see on the website 1oz loads for 12ga aa hulls promo powder. Every other brand of hull has 1oz loads. Does anybody know if you can load them?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I just loaded up some Green Dot and 7/8oz loads. Seem to go bang and break targets very well. I was using Green Dot for my 3/4oz 20 gauge loads. Works just as well for 12 gauge. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
474 Posts
17.5 grains of Promo is safe in any hull, at any shot weight from 7/8 - 1 1/8 with the appropriate wad, and any primer.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Started reloading with 700x a couple of years ago, switched to Red Dot, and switched back to 700x all based on availability. Can't say I like one over the other. I use Enique in my 20 gauge skeet gun loads.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
What the Buster said. Powder is fuel. When you find cheap suitable fuel, you fill the tank.

I prefer Red Dot, but have Promo, Titewad, and Titegroup. They all work well. Now that powder is settling down, I will burn up the alternate powders and go back to Red Dot.

·
Banned
853 Posts
So, what is the current 12 ga. powder of choice that you can actually get your hands on?
Nobel Sport's Vectan powders, what else? Graf and Sons has it, and it's cheap (and free shipping), and Powder Valley, and BPI also handles it.

AS and Prima-V are excellent powders, for 1-ounce, and Vectan 'A1' is excellent for 1-1/8th ounce. This is the link to the load data.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Nobel Sport's Vectan powders, what else? Graf and Sons has it, and it's cheap (and free shipping), and Powder Valley, and BPI also handles it.

AS and Prima-V are excellent powders, for 1-ounce, and Vectan 'A1' is excellent for 1-1/8th ounce. This is the link to the load data.
Wow, I'm glad you think that's CHEAP!
You must have lots of money to spend on powder.
Promo is far, far cheaper and a really good powder.
You can buy it locally and there is NO shipping, fees or Hazmat.
In the end you'll save over 30% over that Nobel stuff.
Buy American,
Mark

21 - 40 of 69 Posts