Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to reload shotgun shells and have used some of my pistol powders to get started. It became quickly apparent that powder is consumed a lot faster than my pistol loads. Instead of the smaller 1 lb. containers I plan to buy something more in bulk. Clays seems to be a very popular powder but I haven't seen any of it. So, what is the current 12 ga. powder of choice that you can actually get your hands on? This is strictly for trap shooting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red Dot or 700X
Coincidentally I tried both the Red Dot and Yellow Dot (700X). The 700X didn't seem to meter consistently in my vintage Texan MKIV reloader. I don't recall how Red Dot metered but it seems to have a broad application according to some of the loading manuals I've seen. Maybe that's the one for me, that is if I can find it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Since I ran out of Clays two years ago I've used Tightwad, Tightgroup, Clay Dot, and Extra Lite very successfully. People all have their favorites but I think any powder you can find in the fast burning range will work just fine if you use the appropriate recipes. One hard lesson learned for me is just because a recipe is published doesn't mean it will fit properly. Good shooting!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Red Dot is pretty hard to beat in one ounce loads,, if 1 1/8 1200 fps shells are your thing, Green dot is awesome, I have used just about every powder out there, Red Dot/ promo are good, clay dot is better, always thought 700x kicked,,, My 2 cents worth Steve

·
Registered
915 Posts
I've shot a bunch of different powders during this shortage. If an 8lb'er was available I bought it. I've loaded promo, red dot, green dot, 700X, E3, and Extra lite. If you use the right recipes...quite honestly I really can't tell much of a difference in performance. E3 seemed to be the cleanest burning out of all of them based on the condition of my barrels after shooting.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I was using Promo and Clay Dot but got tired of the chase trying to find them. Switched to Nobel Sport Vectan AS and have been very pleased with it.

·
2,769 Posts
I like Clays for singles and PB for long handicap. I still have an unopened 8lb jug of each and another couple of pounds of PB. But, when I open them and they are gone, (not making PB anymore), I will use the Green Dot I have. I have about 5 lbs of Red Dot, but really don't care for it. I only load 1 1/8 oz loads.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Nobel Sport Vectan is my current powder of choice and it is available. Meters very well and burns clean..... Larry

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Don't be to selective todays marketplace. Most brands are hard to find on a regular basis. Buy what is available and load to the manufacturers specifications. I think I've tried just about every powder in my 40 years of reloading. They all work.

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
I have a shop and sell powder(when I can get it). I picked up an adjustable charge bar and now load what ever I can find for powder. It takes a few minutes but its easier than changing bushings. I recently got 700X so that's what I am loadings right now. Also Got Green Dot, WST & Clay Dot in last week.

I have quite a few customers that want a certain powder and won't buy any others if I don't have the one they load. I tell them not to by so particular.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts