Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience/information/details on components used and or tests on the new:

Browning BPT Performance Target Shotgun Ammunition B193631227, 12 Gauge, 1 1/8oz, #7.5, 1300 fps

I read one article that stated the hull is not reloadable??

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
All I know is that their .22 rim fire is produced by Winchester. Don't know about the shot shells.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Use the same data for these as you would for reloading a new AA hull. Only difference is these are 6 point crimps, and they're a different color.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The article in one of my gun mags said that all the Browning ammo is made by Winchester. That said, they were adamant that it was NOT just rebranded Winchester ammo and was in fact all proprietary bullets and loads for their whole ammunition line.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I ran across some Browning bpt target ammo today at Academy Sports. 1 1/8 oz #8 & it was marked down to $4.98 a box so I bought a flat. I knew they were 6 pt crimp but surprise, they are not brass but are steel with a brass wash. Seems as though many of the manufacturers are going to steel. Browning, the new Remington Clays line & the Federal Grand shells are all premium priced ammo with steel case heads. I'm sure they all perform ok but I hate the steel stuff. But $4.98 a box is still a good price. Colonel

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
Chris Hodgdon said to use Winchester AA hull data.

Reactions: grntitan

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
It's ok but at the full price it isn't worth it, since they are not reloadable
Any hull is reloadable. It is as close to a Winchester AA as you can get aside from the case being brass washed instead of brass.

A brand new never loaded Browning hull:
IMG_2648.JPG

You can see the base wad just like a AA.
IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

I wouldn't be scared to load them a few times each with AA data.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
As said above, they are a steel rim version of an AAHS hull with a 6 pt crimp. I have loaded some with AA load data, The thing that I have found is the hull plastic is not as strong as AAHS hulls. After the first loading, 50% collapsed like 4-5 times reloaded AAHS hulls. They are to me, a one and done hull. I shot a box of these 1300fps loads, recoil was sharp as the AA Super Handicap sporting loads. Shot hardness seems to be harder than Super Target and rounder,but not the same quality as the AA premium shot. In my opinion, for the price you have to pay, it is not a premium shell. Bill

·
Registered
297 Posts
Shot 150 rds of BPT .45 ACP over the last month. With discounts and a gift card I was out the door with 150 rounds and a soda for $39. All shot fairly well, no hiccups or FTF/FTE issues. Stiff shooting shell though. Shot well in my 1911 and my revolver with the .45 acp cyl. I'd buy it again, plus the casing looks cool.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Winchester and Browning are sister companies now.

It is possible that the black color of these hulls are achieved using "carbon black". If so the plastic will be less maliable and probably crack in short order.

Usually, carbon black is mixed with poly resins to make them more UV resistant. In this case it's just the color Browning wanted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts