Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CUDAHY, Wisconsin -- A Cudahy gun club is in jeopardy after it has been in existence for more than 80 years.

Hundreds showed up to voice their concerns over the new location for the "Cudahy Sportsmen's Club."

It would remain at Warnimont Park, but away from the lake.

The club currently has one of the most beautiful views of Lake Michigan, but the big environmental concern is whether the lead shot that falls into the bluff seeps into the water.

This is just the first listening session, no votes have been set.

NEWS VIDEO

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/C...ub-over-environmental-concerns-306058681.html

* Recommend you watch the video.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sadly this seems to be a growing trend, I am younger than most on this site at 25 and it's sad that I am starting to realize I will most likely see more gun clubs close compared to open in my lifetime.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
The lead shot is not falling into the bluff, it is falling into the lake. Some fields are so close that the targets are falling into the lake. Hopefully, they can move the club down the shore a bit to pick up enough room to keep shooting.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
We shoot over a small lake, and have had the lead removed several times since 1992. The result has been income for the club, and if anyone ever made an issue, the removal should shut them up.

Removal from water requires a dredge (and support equipment) and some expertise. There are not as many miners doing water removal AFIK.

I don't see why the relocation is necessary since the lead can be removed.

HM

·
Registered
951 Posts
Unfortunately it isn't a small lake and it is dropping in about 30 feet of water. Some of the shot that hits the targets may fall on the bank but most is going into Lake Michigan. It used to get mined once in a while but I doubt it has been in a while. Really a sad situation. If they (the County) don't get them on the lead issue it will be something else. The Exe. it a real peace of work. If he wants them out they don't stand a chance.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Why not put up shot screens?

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I had some old Trap and Field magazines from the 1950's. There were articles back then that they were trying to get the club to move for the same reason. Remember when the Milwaukee gun club on the shores of Lake Michigan went through before they were closed down, as now it sits under tons of dirt covered with weeds.

Around 20-25 years ago, I was shooting an ATA tournament at the Cudahy gun club. I walked up the hill with my shooting vest on to use their facilities. Three elderly women sitting at a table waiting to golf saw me and one of them said " trapshooters are not welcome here". I said I'm using the bathroom. She said use the porta potty at the club. I said it's in use, as she continued to glare at me as I walked by. To many do gooders, nit wits and rude anti gunners in my area.

I find it very interesting that so many people have concerns about lead shot falling into the lake. Our sewage district has dumped untreated sewage water into Lake Michigan on several occasions while people continue to swim and fish in it.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Lead lying in the water is inert.The only problem is when the depth is shallow enough the ducks will scoop up the lead in their gullet....Has the water tests shown high levels of lead?

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Shot screens have been specified for the new facility. The old facility doesn't have room for the shot screens. To its credit, the WI DLNR is working hard to get the facility relocated and keep folks shooting.

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
I had some old Trap and Field magazines from the 1950's. There were articles back then that they were trying to get the club to move for the same reason. Remember what the Milwaukee gun club on the shores of Lake Michigan went through before they were closed down, as now it sits under tons of dirt covered with weeds.

Around 20-25 years ago, I was shooting an ATA tournament at the Cudahy gun club. I walked up the hill with my shooting vest on to use their facilities. Three elderly women sitting at a table waiting to golf saw me and one of them said " trapshooters are not welcome here". I said I'm using the bathroom. She said use the porta potty at the club. I said it's in use, as she continued to glare at me as I walked by. To many do gooders, nit wits and rude anti gunners in my area.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin
Steve you are a damn WI. Italian throwback. When will you learn your place? You should be engaging in no noise activities, squatting when urinating and never questioning liberal policies. That is the new Badger state.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
Shot screens have been specified for the new facility. The old facility doesn't have room for the shot screens. To its credit, the WI DLNR is working hard to get the facility relocated and keep folks shooting.
Relocation would be so awesome for the good people there............

GS

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had some old Trap and Field magazines from the 1950's. There were articles back then that they were trying to get the club to move for the same reason. Remember when the Milwaukee gun club on the shores of Lake Michigan went through before they were closed down, as now it sits under tons of dirt covered with weeds.

Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin
You should of asked them if they all were widowed or if they're husbands were still in hiding.

·
Registered
970 Posts
What is the WI DLNR? Have they changed the name to the Dept. of Legislative Natural Resources? Seems that's what it's becoming anyways.

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts