Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At the old Grand in Ohio about 20 years ago a buddy and I were shopping the various vendors.

One vendor could talk so fast his spiel made an auctioneer sound like a stutterer.

He was selling Cryo-generation of your existing shotgun barrel.

What?

He went on to explain that Cryo-generation involved the freezing of shotgun barrels down to an ungodly temperature of around 150 degrees below zero then letting them come back to room temperature naturally.

This process, in turn, lined up all the atoms in the steel of the shotgun barrel which made for better accuracy.

When I heard this I wanted to leave. I never heard of such a process. Hell, if it were true you could get the same result using your deep freeze overnight.

But my friend being the eternal optimist that he is wanted to hear the whole pitch.

When it ended my buddy forked over his shotgun barrel and $200.00 thinking he had found the magic process that would turn him into a 27 yard shooter. (A story which I had to listen to all night.)

Next day he got the barrel back and it shot the same medium-to-decent scores as before Cryo-generation.

Proving, once again, that you can sell trap shooters anything if they believe it will improve their scores.

Cryo-Generation ... old con man term for separating money from sucker.

(Special thanks to Doc Bombay and his amusingly worded post concerning the treatments of the F Troop cannon which reminded me of this story.)

P.S. I realized too late this thread should have not been posted to the political section but did not know how to change it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The late JD Faltin and I used to offer a similar service at the Michigan Trapshooting Association.
Since we didn't have the facilities to freeze a shotgun barrel at -150 degrees for 24 hours, we did the obvious equivalent of freezing it at 24 degrees for 150 hours.
It worked! Nobody could tell the difference.
(We had to suspend operations during the Michigan deer season when the freezer on the back porch was needed for venison.)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
JD had a good friend that had a couple rifle barrels cryo'd a .270 that was very accurate and I believe the other was a .338 Mag that he used on big game around the world. The .270 became a tack driver and the Mag was improved.

I believe also that Dennis DeVault cryo'd his shotgun barrels before gluing them together .

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
There was a big fad of this for rifle barrels a while back.

The idea that after drilling and reaming (especially if it was hammer forged) a rifle barrel there were stresses created in the metal.

To remove these stresses you could heat it or cool it. Heating would mess up temper, probably bend the barrel, etc. But cooling has some legitimacy.

Here is a random site I found on the process - 300 Below, Inc. | The world leader in commercial cryogenic processing solutions.

Again, there may be some benefit for a rifle barrel - I just don't see that for a shotgun barrel...

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Again, there may be some benefit for a rifle barrel - I just don't see that for a shotgun barrel...
I heard the same thing as well. Dennis, did Cryo all the barrels on his trap guns. I see no benefit to doing this. It may work well on rifles. But, a smooth bore shotgun is not the same. A shooting buddy of mine has a Mach 1, and a Infinity from Dennis. break em all jeff

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
There is some merit to having your shotgun barrel get this treatment.
I had it done to my Perazzi TM1. I can't say it shot any better, but what I did notice was that the plastic in the barrel from the wads was so much easier to clean. The plastic from the wads just did not stick to the barrel the way it did before I had the treatment.

Would I do it again..........probably not, but it sure doesn't hurt them.

Hauxfan!

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
...but what I did notice was that the plastic in the barrel from the wads was so much easier to clean. The plastic from the wads just did not stick to the barrel the way it did before I had the treatment.

Hauxfan!

It was the layer of ice left behind...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I should have my handgun barrels done. They’re horribly inaccurate and I’m certain it’s not the shooter, has to be the barrels.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I work in aerospace and can validate that the Cryogenic process is legitimate as regards improving the strength and fatigue properties on many metallic components. That said, it doesn’t alter the dimensions at all, so any Shotgun pattern improvment, etc is not realistic.
Yes, and with auto rotors. Cryogenically treated rotors don’t warp as quick and withstand higher temps. But I don’t see it making a scattergun scatter less.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
We used to Cryo treat some race car parts. Supposedly increased surface hardness, smoothness and stress relief among other stuff. Sent My TM1 barrel in with some parts, Didn't notice any difference in the way it shoots. Come to think of it neither backboring, porting and jug choking. But it was fun.

Increse in smoothness is probably why Hauxfan notices the difference in plastic residue

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I know a guy who has his golf balls done. He said it made them go farther. I’ve also heard of bearings and races done to make them harder and last longer. I’d get my “johnson” done it I knew it wouldn’t frost bite it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
SORRY do some reading about why and how it's done. some of your FAVORITE shotgun MFGS do it, maybe that's why you like them? It's s come ALONG why in twenty or so years, it's heated to 200+ degree's for awhile and then brought down too -300 degrees brought back up to 200+ and then back down too -300 it takes about 48 hours to do it, I'm having it done to a Remington 700 bull barrel. $90 it's not expensive, DO SOME READING BEFORE YOU MAKE YOURSELF'S LOOK LIKE IDIOT'S

·
Registered
143 Posts
"Several shotgun manufacturers, including Benelli have incorporated cryogenic treatment in their manufacturing processes. They found accuracy improved after cryogenic treatment by a wide margin over those barrels that did not have this process performed. "
Cryogenics Metals Treatment and why it just works!

All metal parts that wear (metal to metal) will benefit from Cryo. Barrels (any type metal), Receivers, Choke tubes, Trigger assemblies, Guide rails, Hammers, Extractor, Bolt carrier group, trunnion, Recoil springs & guidebolts. Cryogenics enhances your weapon in the following ways:

• Relieves residual stresses
  • Promotes a more uniform micro-structure to the action and bore
  • Precipitates eta-carbides in steels for increased resistance to wear reducing throat wear

Cryo treated metals have the following benefits immediately:

• Longer life due to reduced wear from throat/chamber erosion and corrosion
  • Less failures due to cracking that result from the propagation of stress lines
  • Reduced coefficient of friction on polished metalsImproved thermal properties

Cryo treating reduces throat wear due to high-pressure and temperature of high-performance calibers and high corrosive wear properties in chemicals found in cleaning agents for gun cleaning and maintenance. Stress relief in metals, reduces metal fatigue and distortions induced by design, forming, machining or environments.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have had a couple of shotgun barrels cyro processed. Not really sure they improved my scores but it sure did not hurt the POI. Now on the flip side. At the same time I had the shotgun barrels done, I also had a rifle cyro processed. This rifle would not shoot any group. At a hundred yards you would be really lucky if your group would fit with a basketball size group. After cryo, this gun now will shoot a pattern within a golf ball size group at 100 yards. I think if you checkout many of the military shooting team records, i think you will find all of these guns have been cyro processed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
At the old Grand in Ohio about 20 years ago a buddy and I were shopping the various vendors.

One vendor could talk so fast his spiel made an auctioneer sound like a stutterer.

He was selling Cryo-generation of your existing shotgun barrel.

What?

He went on to explain that Cryo-generation involved the freezing of shotgun barrels down to an ungodly temperature of around 150 degrees below zero then letting them come back to room temperature naturally.

This process, in turn, lined up all the atoms in the steel of the shotgun barrel which made for better accuracy.

When I heard this I wanted to leave. I never heard of such a process. Hell, if it were true you could get the same result using your deep freeze overnight.

But my friend being the eternal optimist that he is wanted to hear the whole pitch.

When it ended my buddy forked over his shotgun barrel and $200.00 thinking he had found the magic process that would turn him into a 27 yard shooter. (A story which I had to listen to all night.)

Next day he got the barrel back and it shot the same medium-to-decent scores as before Cryo-generation.

Proving, once again, that you can sell trap shooters anything if they believe it will improve their scores.

Cryo-Generation ... old con man term for separating money from sucker.

(Special thanks to Doc Bombay and his amusingly worded post concerning the treatments of the F Troop cannon which reminded me of this story.)

P.S. I realized too late this thread should have not been posted to the political section but did not know how to change it.
I tried Cryo treating nitro Harley drag bike parts around 2009 or 2010. Rods, pistons, spark plugs, brake rotors, etc. If it improved anything, we could not see it. So, I cannot imagine what it would do to help a shotgun or it’s performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts