Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any "two eyed shooters" on here that use a crossfire eliminator (angled bar stuck on the rib) with double sided tape, to prevent seeing the sight with the other - left or right - eye, depending if you're a left or right handed shooter)? I learned of them from a gentleman a few months ago when buying his gun and he swore by them but I've never used one. The claim, as I understand it, is that you may not even be aware that your opposite eye is taking over on you - mainly on angled birds - and you're consequently shooting behind the bird. These are also available as part of a stick-on sight, from the same supplier, which accomplishes the same end result (Meadow Industries).

I'd love to hear any comments from folks on here using one, along with their results, both before and after putting one on. And how did you know you needed one or did you just apply it on a trial basis. Thanks if anyone has some history I could draw on.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The discussions between Jason (waverider) and (Mike Campbell) are really telling and I'm glad they went into such detail. Everyone would do well to read their descriptions and put some serious thought into it. These two guys, and especially Mike, have opened a yet unknown door for me and I'm now a true believer. I've never been one to simply do something - blindly - because someone else does, as I need to understand why. These guys have done that for me.

Picking a spot on the wall, and considering that spot is a clay bird, I raised one arm at a distance from that spot, pointing my finger, and approach it as though I'm swinging a shotgun to it. I did that simulating moving my arm to the right (for a right angled bird) and to the left (for a left angled bird). I did that with my "off eye" (as Mike clearly calls it) only open and then with my "master eye" only open. When I got to the spot on the wall, with my extended finger pointing to it, I then opened "both eyes". What I saw clearly tells the whole story but it doesn't really confirm whether you, indeed, need a "crossfire eliminator". That can only be confirmed by shooting and honestly assessing the results (i.e. not always blaming a miss on something obscure when you have a properly fitted and patterned gun).

For me, being a right hand shooter with a right master eye and often dropping right angle birds, I must be experiencing my left "off eye" taking over which is putting me behind the bird when shooting. The key for me was having occasions where I was so far ahead of a right angled bird, when I pulled the trigger, that my mind told me it would never break but it literally disappeared. Further, I had no trouble breaking left angled birds - as my eye crossover was automatically putting me ahead of the bird, as mentioned by Mike.
To Mike and Jason - thanks for your discussions. You've made a believer out of this shooter!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I shot league again today with no Crossfire Eliminator on my gun. My sole purpose was to consciously remember what I saw of the gun (sight only, barrels only or both simultaneously) when a bird was missed (notice I said "when" and not "if"). Sure enough it was the hard rights from station 5 and I was sensing seeing the dark barrels on the left side of the gun - as "miketmx" mentioned earlier.

Once home I experimented with how to block the barrels out. As it turned out, putting a piece of Scotch Tape (the "matte finish" type) in the upper left corner of my left glass lens seemed to do the trick (barrels disappeared) - and I could still keep both eyes open. Seeing what I did (left side of the black barrels), and only blocking out the sight, might not be a solution for me. With the Scotch Tape approach, I can leave a small tab of the tape sticking up to pull it off when I move from station 5 over to the others (starting on 5 as my plan). I'm removing the tape when moving from 5, as my crossfire dilemma gives me a built in lead on station 1 (and maybe even 2) as previously resolved and I've no trouble there. I'm going to try this out as one gets fairly frustrated with these type misses rearing their ugly heads and desperation begins to set in. I'm going to resolve this if it kills me - or, for the last shot, I'll just turn the gun around!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts