Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before I start my post let me post my background with trap shooting

I started trap shooting the beginning of this year, never shot trap or shotguns much at all before then. I probably have around 5000 rounds shot, 300 registered targets, single scores are 89,78,and 83.

Ive never been a consistent shooter, Ill shoot a few weeks of 22-23 rounds, then fall back to 17-20.

I've always been a two eyed shooter, right eye dominant, right hand shooter. I shoot a beretta 686 Unsingle.

I've never seen a bird/bead relationship when pulling the trigger, I see the bird come out of the house, lock onto it, my subconscious makes its move to the bird and it pulls the trigger. The birds either get broken and I'm happy, or they don't and I have no idea how or what caused me to miss.

I've been in a slump lately and I went to go shoot a few rounds today. First trap I shot maybe a 17, missed a lot of fairly easy birds. Second trap started out the same. After some frustration I decide to close my left eye and see how I shot. I ran the last 10 birds and absolutely smoked them. Every shot I was focused on the bird but could definitely see in my sight picture the bead moving towards the bird and I would pull the trigger as it reached and the bird and every shot was smoked.

I never thought I would have cross-firing issues and I never thought I would have to start shooting with one-eye.

My next round I put a piece of scotch tape across the lens of my left eye. The tape was a bit distracting i couldn't get quite comfortable shooting. I shot half the round with my eye closed and half open, i missed 3 birds. Each bird I missed I knew what I did wrong, twice I stopped the gun and the third I made a bead check.

I'm felt good after that round even though it was a bit weird shooting like that. If my eyes were open I found the tape distracting, if I closed my eye it would feel weird and I would see a lot of the nose bridge of my glasses and get distracted.

I'm feeling pretty hopeful that I somewhat figured out my shooting problem, I think it will take some time to get used to shooting "one-eyed".

For those one eye shooters, do you have any tips on tape placement on the lens? Should I start with a small piece and add more/less until Im smoking targets consistently?

thanks!

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Jeri, here is how I place my tape. It allows me to see looking straight ahead but when I mount the gun I don't see the barrel or the target. You may or may not be crossfiring but what shooting one eye does is make it a whole lot easier to learn to shoot because you can see the target bead relationship. For expert info on crossfiring go to www.philkiner.com. Welcome to A class. There are way too many trapshooters who have been told they have to shoot two eyes to reach their potential who should be shooting one eye..

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Do a search on the internet for crossfiring eyes.
What works best for me is to squint (half close) the left eye.
I recently put a dot on the lens of my left lens but haven't shot enough to know if that will work or not.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Magic dot placement

Shooter's Magic Eye Dots

“Crossfiring” by John Bulger
http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/archive/june13/story0613.html

“Eye Dominance and Shooting” by Michael Yardley
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/eye-dominance-and-your-shooting-13003

I took my shooting glasses to the optician, held my head in a shooting position, and had her mark on the outside of the lens the EXACT location of my pupil; then used a black sharpie to draw an about 1/4" circle on the inside of the lens. It is a bit distracting when standing and talking (esp. when the off eye takes over and all I see is the dot!), but I'm totally unaware of the dot when shooting. You can slowly enlarge the dot if needed, but the smaller the better

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Close the left eye. when I try to shoot two eyes my score drops 20 birds per 100. Seems like all the top shooters shoot two eyes. I cant. I'm like you, you described my situation perfectly. I may never be an AA shooter, but I broke a 98 in practice, which is a personal best. What helped me the most was simply shoot,shoot,shoot and pay attention to details. I ALWAYS LISTEN to the top shooters, its just sometime what they tell me, I just sometimes cant make work. the more I shoot, the better I get. I think the top dawgs are top dawgs, because they have paid there dues by shooting 500k shells. MY OPINION IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had the same problem, and it got worse as I got older, I was ready to quit. Phil Kiner diagnosed what was going on and taped up my off eye glass lens with black electrical tape. Much improved after that.
Jim

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,experimented with some scotch tape, have a square piece at the outside upper corner of the lens, get a decent perpiphal view and my left eye does not see beads, hopefully can get out and shoot this weekend and see how it goes

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There are many way to keep you from cross firing but you have to be willing to do them the bad thing 95% of trap shooters wont do it as you go down in scores before you go up. if you really want to know why and how to correct this PM me as I wont post it here for all the Nay Sayers who most couldn't hit there butt with two hands, but want to put there losing scores to the testimony as how things should be done. you know the old saying You can't FIX STUPID!

OH I AM NOT SAYING ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE ABOVE POST'S CAUSE MOST EVERYTHING THEY POSTED ABOVE WORKS TOO.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
all Good shooters see the BEAD they don't look at it but they see it. just not in there main vision, it like driving you car your watching the road ahead but you still see the steering wheel of your car or the sign on the side road . and some people just get tunnel vision Not good

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Thanks,experimented with some scotch tape, have a square piece at the outside upper corner of the lens, get a decent perpiphal view and my left eye does not see beads, hopefully can get out and shoot this weekend and see how it goes
your on the right track putting the dot where you have it, my tape is in about the same spot. I've been shooting with the dot for 30 yrs. my sin ave are right around 96.5 don't give up!!!!!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts

I started trap shooting the beginning of this year, never shot trap or shotguns much at all before then. I probably have around 5000 rounds shot, 300 registered targets, single scores are 89,78,and 83.

Ive never been a consistent shooter, Ill shoot a few weeks of 22-23 rounds, then fall back to 17-20.

I've always been a two eyed shooter, right eye dominant, right hand shooter. I shoot a beretta 686 Unsingle.

I've never seen a bird/bead relationship when pulling the trigger, I see the bird come out of the house, lock onto it, my subconscious makes its move to the bird and it pulls the trigger. The birds either get broken and I'm happy, or they don't and I have no idea how or what caused me to miss.

I've been in a slump lately and I went to go shoot a few rounds today. First trap I shot maybe a 17, missed a lot of fairly easy birds. Second trap started out the same. After some frustration I decide to close my left eye and see how I shot. I ran the last 10 birds and absolutely smoked them. Every shot I was focused on the bird but could definitely see in my sight picture the bead moving towards the bird and I would pull the trigger as it reached and the bird and every shot was smoked.

I never thought I would have cross-firing issues and I never thought I would have to start shooting with one-eye.

My next round I put a piece of scotch tape across the lens of my left eye. The tape was a bit distracting i couldn't get quite comfortable shooting. I shot half the round with my eye closed and half open, i missed 3 birds. Each bird I missed I knew what I did wrong, twice I stopped the gun and the third I made a bead check.

I'm felt good after that round even though it was a bit weird shooting like that. If my eyes were open I found the tape distracting, if I closed my eye it would feel weird and I would see a lot of the nose bridge of my glasses and get distracted.

I'm feeling pretty hopeful that I somewhat figured out my shooting problem, I think it will take some time to get used to shooting "one-eyed".

For those one eye shooters, do you have any tips on tape placement on the lens? Should I start with a small piece and add more/less until Im smoking targets consistently?

thanks!

Like to hear recommendations from long time one eye shooters regarding eye and gun holds.

·
Registered
126 Posts

thanks!
Jeri,

first let me tell you my story and see if it makes any sense to you going forward. first I shot skeet and trap for over 25 years with a taped left eye and shoot right handed. I enjoyed a fair amount of success in both games, but mostly skeet, as I have only been shooting trap full time for 3 years. When I was a kid, no-one told me to shoot a shotgun with two eyes so this is why I had the occluder. two years ago I decided to take the patch off and shoot two eyes, as I had been tested and confirmed I am right eye dominant and there was no logical reason to shoot one eye.

it took almost a whole year of shooting, some 5000 registered targets and perhaps 5-7000 practice targets to just start to see the benefits and have my muscle memory and timing etc. to start to jive. and am now shooting close to where I was with the patch, still not there 100%.

My recommendation to you is to get your eyes tested by a doctor and have them establish your dominance. if you are right eye dominant then I would strongly recommend you pursue shooting with both eyes open and no patch. the longterm benefits out weigh the short term struggle getting used to it, and it will be more beneficial in any of the other disciplines you may shoot, like doubles and handicap, or even sporting clays. However, that said, I must also tell you there are some shooters that have embraced one eye shooting regardless if they need to or not, and are great shooters at the top of every discipline out there, so don't feel it is a stigma should you need to shoot one eye.

second, I would recommend you hire a reputable coach so they can watch you and advise you, and they should also be able to determine eye dominence. the clay target sports are very hard to do well and takes lots of practice and patience. Nora Ross has shot trap with one eye and is arguably one of the best ever in the game. Good luck

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Mirage: it's not at all uncommon to have alternating dominance (oh where is Bill when we need him to 'splain this one ;) ) While looking through the Phoropter during my exam this year, I kept switching dominance :( The optometrist just said "yeah, that happens."

Reactions: Mirage-S

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
and there was no logical reason to shoot one eye.

it took almost a whole year of shooting, some 5000 registered targets and perhaps 5-7000 practice targets to just start to see the benefits and have my muscle memory and timing etc. to start to jive. and am now shooting close to where I was with the patch, still not there 100%.
Not to be overly critical, but you have spent a whole year and have burned through 12,000 targets at a cost of $6,000+ and you are still not even up to your one eye performance? You may want to revisit your understanding of the word logical.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts