Trapshooters Forum banner

Crimping Issues - Cannot figure it out

5578 62
I’m at a loss here. I have been searching the forum and reading and tinkering and adjusting and keep circling back.

I’m either getting a real nice inside crimp but a mushroom edge OR I’m getting a lop sided or swirled crimp but my edge is tapered

most are coming out with the mushroom edge, then I adjust it, then I get a swirls

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
2,393 Posts
I can't remember if there is a taper adjustment on the 600's or not. On the 9000 I would suggest trying to give yourself a little more taper. There might be a similar adjustment on the 600. Those aren't the worst looking shells either and would probably work just fine on any break action type of shotgun.

· Registered
160 Posts
It may not apply, but look at the height of your empties before you cycle them. I've seen random STS hulls wrinkle on the side walls and found it to be due to differences in the overall height. I think for your empties, pay close attention to the heights of the crimp segment. See if there is any difference from the beginning of the fold to the top of the hull. There could be a chance that there are some that are slightly longer and could contribute to inconsistencies. As exx555 stated, they look fine for normal use so you should not have any problems with them.

· Registered
1,203 Posts
It is the hulls...looks to me like you are using Federal Top Gun cases or also known as the Walmart Federals...
They are not all the same.
Check the basewads...some may have a paper base. If they have different basewads, segregate your hulls.

The Cheap Federal Loads are like Remington Gun Clubs...the length is all over the place.

As stated...find a happy medium and shoot them.

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Also, looks like the 5 in the lower part of the picture may be Federal Gold Medals...They do look to be different in the picture.

Not all Federals are the same, and require adjustments on your machine depending on what Federal case it is.

Looks like some Noble Sport Powder in the background also...good stuff !!!

Wadcrusher

· Registered
605 Posts
I’m at a loss here. I have been searching the forum and reading and tinkering and adjusting and keep circling back.

I’m either getting a real nice inside crimp but a mushroom edge OR I’m getting a lop sided or swirled crimp but my edge is tapered

most are coming out with the mushroom edge, then I adjust it, then I get a swirls
Best to check out the owners manual.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all the replies.

these are ALL Federal Top Gun hulls with plastic basewads. When I get home I’m going to start at the pre crimp and go from there.

I am using Vectan A1, I purchased 4 lbs from Grafs and just received it. Currently working on 3 different loads, making a box of each and will go shoot them this weekend.

They are not terrible as I have seen worse. They will be shot out of my Remington 870 pump. I like things close to perfect and may just be battling myself

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
on the swirl in the center, raise your precrimp up until a pencil eraser will fit in the hole, then adjust you crimper to get the
taper you want
Only works for the hull in the station. There are different lengths in the batch and all of them will have a different size opening after precrimp. He will have to find a middle position that is “good enough”.

· Premium Member
5,253 Posts
They are not terrible as I have seen worse. They will be shot out of my Remington 870 pump.
Curious what wad you're using. Your crimps are much better than what I'm getting with book loads for DRF0-12 and DRF3-12 wads using those hulls. (Mine will be for the 870 pump league).

The inside diameter of the hull is about .735 thou, all the way to the bottom. The outside diameter of the over-powder cup with both wads is about .705 thou. So that's .030 of "slop" to allow powder migration.
I just cut two reloads apart, there is more than acceptable powder migration above the over-powder cup. That likely explains the inconsistent crimps that I'm getting.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m currently using Grafs Reloading data for Nobel Sport Vectan A1.

I am currently using the Claybuster 12s3 and 12s0 wads and they are really nice. I tried emailing them about the data with the 12s0 being used for a 1 1/8 oz but received no response.

Federal top gun
12s3
1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot
Federal 209 (older style)
20 gr Vectan A1

Federal top gun
12s0
1 1/8 oz 7.5 shot
Fed 209 (older style)
21.5 gr Vectan A1

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.