Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On occasion, the crimp on my old MEC reloader gets crimped but not neatly. Does this mean the crimp starter may have to replaced or do I just have to live with an occasional foul-up? Any help?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Some times the hull doe not have the correct memory of the past crimp due to thickness of the mouth or the hull got smashed a little so it is not round. Assuming you have a MEC progressive, if you include in your loading routine (see that a primer has dropped and is in the carrier, confirming that the bar has sprung back) to include looking at the pre-crimped hull. If you see a 4 point star, stop and pull that hull out and manually reform the pre-crimp to 8 points.

Jason

·
Registered
917 Posts
Not that it will convince anyone but a guy in our club sometimes shoots shells so poorly crimped (he saves them up) that he puts masking tape over the ends to keep the BB's in. He then breaks 50's with them, time and time again. The same goes for before he got the masking tape idea - where he actually heard BB's rolling down the barrel, getting ready to call for his bird.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
I suspect that other than holding the shot in the wad the fingers of the crimp the fingers of the crimp can be pretty (or ugly) but are not so important. It is probably the lip at the case mouth that sets the "tone" for the shell... Larry

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I suspect that other than holding the shot in the wad the fingers of the crimp the fingers of the crimp can be pretty (or ugly) but are not so important. It is probably the lip at the case mouth that sets the "tone" for the shell... Larry
ing
Actually the crimp is more important than you suggest. The crimp does control the consistency of powder burn and the resultant effect of it. Now I must admit I have shot shells that I had to keep the barrel pointed up so the shot wouldn't roll out. Some of my 410's hulls are good enough if I have two opposing petals but if you are shooting for the money or a cup of coffee you want to use the best you have.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The crimp does control the consistency of powder burn and the resultant effect of it.
Ok, Ill buy that but my question is then when the crimp is done correctly (used the dime test) and correct wad is fully seated against the powder charge (yes I actually checked) and the correct powder charge (individually weighed) and shot weight is used....why does a powder that is known for being a clean burning powder then leave a lot of residue in the barrel?

Reap

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Ok, Ill buy that but my question is then when the crimp is done correctly (used the dime test) and correct wad is fully seated against the powder charge (yes I actually checked) and the correct powder charge (individually weighed) and shot weight is used....why does a powder that is known for being a clean burning powder then leave a lot of residue in the barrel?

Reap
The seal between the hull and wad also needs to be good. The wad should fit snugly into the hull. If the hull is worn/stretched, powder can migrate and not give a thorough burn. Wads are designed for a specific hull despite recipes for mix matched uses. I've also noticed some generic wads are different diameters than others. This can also account for a loose wad/hull merge.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts

Reap
Since you did not post the recipe, let me guess that it is under 10,000 psi. Pressure has a lot to do with the efficiency of the load. Often powder not known to be clean burning will burn clean when loaded at the top end of the data.

Jason

·
Registered
531 Posts
Since you did not post the recipe, let me guess that it is under 10,000 psi. Pressure has a lot to do with the efficiency of the load. Often powder not known to be clean burning will burn clean when loaded at the top end of the data.

Jason
Jason you are correct....according to the recipe the load I'm using has a pressure of 8900. I got the load from the lyman manual.

Top gun hull (using gold medal data)
Federal 209A primer
12S0 wad (claybuster 2100-12)
20.5 grains Ramshot Competition
1oz shot
1266 FPS
8900 pressure

It didn't give me a range of powder charges to use with the component selection. So if I need to increase the pressure to get a clean burn how do I do that safely with the components I have? I also figured that 1266 FPS was plenty fast enough.

I will say that with that load....my first attempt at reloading shot shells.... I loaded the box yesterday and today I used it and shot my first 25 straight with it! Yep it is a little dirty but they sure break them targets lol!

Reap

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You can see if there is a 1 1/8 oz load with the appropriate wad.

If you want to stick with 1 oz and you cannot find published data, you need to make up some loads with powder increases and send them out to be tested for pressure and velocity.

If you clean your gun after each outing or you have chrome lined chambers and barrel, a little un-burned powder will do no harm.

Remember the quote: "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Congrats on your first 25 straight.

I would just continue with that load. Minimum cleaning after a day of shooting, Spray WD-40 in the barrel, look down the barrel and roll it around coating the inside of the barrel. Push a wad of paper towel through, I rip a sheet into 4ths, then fold the pieces twice. Then run a Bore Snake through once or twice if it needs it.

Jason

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Congrats on the 25 straight ! Your hooked...lol
As to powder it is most likely cellulose based as most are. I think Scotts was cotton based and much more expensive. The powder residue is the cellulose. The 1st shot leaves the residue. The second shot cleans out the 1st and leaves the 2nd. So on and so on. Till your finished for the day and you use a bore snake before you put in back in the case.
Now in 46 years of loading I never heard of the dime test. Would that be a pre 64 silver dime or a new fangled one. Does the same dime work on 28ga. ? Do you look for the crimp neither open in the center or swirled ? Are you seating the wad ? Applying enough pressure?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Now in 46 years of loading I never heard of the dime test. Would that be a pre 64 silver dime or a new fangled one
Lmao.....well what can I say...I didn't know what else to call it but basically as another poster on this board taught me(Thank you GRNTITAN ) was to grind down the diameter of a dime to fit inside the crimp of the shell and I glued a nail to it to make a handle. The thickness of the dime is what I use to make sure the crimp is set deep enough.

As far as seating the wad with enough pressure... I have it set to seat the wad to bottom out on the powder charge and compress ever so slightly. Not enough to cause rebound and come up off of the powder. The shells are crimping beautifully with no buckling at all.

Reap

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Lmao.....well what can I say...I didn't know what else to call it but basically as another poster on this board taught me(Thank you GRNTITAN ) was to grind down the diameter of a dime to fit inside the crimp of the shell and I glued a nail to it to make a handle. The thickness of the dime is what I use to make sure the crimp is set deep enough.

As far as seating the wad with enough pressure... I have it set to seat the wad to bottom out on the powder charge and compress ever so slightly. Not enough to cause rebound and come up off of the powder. The shells are crimping beautifully with no buckling at all.

Reap
Well all that sounds like a plan. So lets sum it up.
1) You have a good load. Proven by your 25 straight.
2) You get a dirty barrel. Everyone does. That is why Hoppe's has been around so long.
3) You get bad crimps occasionally. Everyone does and ugly girls are fun too.
4) Just go out and shoot, shoot, shoot. Not because practice make perfect. Just because it is fun and the 25's will just keep on coming.
lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts