Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an article in one of your American shotgun magazines about the effects of crimps on velocity
Can anybody steer me into the right direction to acess that , please??

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Fast burning powders like 700X,red dot, seem not to be affected by crimp. Slower burning powders need a firmer crimp to burn properly. My 2 cents CED

·
Registered
21 Posts
I load Alliant steel powder for steel loads hunting waterfowl. You need a firm crimp and firm wad pressure to get proper velocity.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It seems like I read something about that too but cannot recall for certain when and where. You might flip through past articles of Trapshooting USA in the reloading section. All but the current issue of the magazine can be viewed online. The website address is above. I subscribe to Trapshooting USA and it's one fine magazine.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The effect may be more on pressure than it would be on velocity. Some of the data I remember seeing had some velocity change, but the difference in pressure was more dramatic. As long as there is enough of a crimp to allow for a good "burn", deeper crimps may not increase velocity as much as pressure. Some of this may vary depending on which powder and other components you would be loading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.