Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can you pay with Credit Card at your G C ? I shoot in mid MD and at 2 of the G C you can use them . One of them is in NW Baltimore ,the other east of Washington , DC

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
At my club practice shooting is cash only. Registered cash or check or as the Trap Nazi says "NO TRAP FOR YOU"

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
A couple yes, a couple no. Depends on how big of an operation they are, and how much money they want to make. Cash only, limits customers.

I am a cash only person. I pay cash for everything, but many these days do not. Most don't even carry cash.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Cash only at my club.

When you look into debit/CC processing, they want 3% fees etc. Then there will be institutions that are on-board with “Operation Chokepoint” and the whole thing just becomes too much of a PITA.

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts
The range in town, run by the city, does take cards but no other clubs that I am aware of. I wish they did but I understand why they don't.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
My two (private) Clubs are cash/check and checks are preferred...the publicly run places take all methods of payment as they run like a normal,full-time business with employees there to take payments. The fees for rounds and ammo is,of course,much higher.
In this area (Wash,DC) we are fortunate to have two very nice public ranges so newcomers to the sport can " get their feet wet " with a rental gun and hopefully get "hooked".
Paul in Virginia

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I think it depends on the area and type of customers that a club has. Most of the clubs I shoot at take CC payment and I sure see a lot of people making electronic payment. It's all about customer service. Happy customers spend more money & spend more frequently.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'm like you gusser. Not all places take debit or credit, but cash is universal!! Don't even have a debit card. Seen to many times they won't work. If you don't have cash your done.
A couple yes, a couple no. Depends on how big of an operation they are, and how much money they want to make. Cash only, limits customers.

I am a cash only person. I pay cash for everything, but many these days do not. Most don't even carry cash.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
The primary club I belong to takes CC, has for years now.

We were probably one of the first to do so in the area.

The extra income more than makes up for the CC fee, people may run short on cash by the end of the day but they always have their card (give me a box of shells, give me another couple tokens, ect because they are having fun and want to keep shooting, otherwise they'd pack up and go home because they'd run out of whatever).

People don't think twice about swiping the plastic like they do handing out dollar bills.

Hell, we had one guy come down, buy a life membership on CC, which I think was $500 at the time, and never came back again, ended up dying a couple years later, so the $ from that alone covered the CC fee for the next 17 grand run through the CC machine.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
At two clubs no.
At the third kinda/sorta - you pay $100 up front for an access card, you can put that on a credit card, but until you leave it is only a reserve/pending on the card.
Each "round" allows up to 27 throws.
If you shoot enough rounds to go over the $100 you go back and start over, otherwise they refund the balance when you leave.
You can probably load up the card with more than $100 before you start.
I have never done that, maybe coaches do.
$100 is the default "deposit to shoot" on the access card, even if you bring cash.

Ammo sales are separate transactions, I bring my own because I am CHEAP - - cheep cheep.
=============================================
I see that below this thread the "similar threads" listing shows a topic about credit card imprinters.
I have seen a couple of them at one of the clubs I shoot at, they are in the "tossed aside" area.
At least one of my current credit cards doesn't have any raised characters, so those things are close to useless.
Hmmm, the days of card rubbing and getting a carbon copy, then a month or two before the physical statement came in the physical mail box with another month or 6 weeks to pay it.
Now it is there in a few hundred milliseconds - and already PAID if you use a debit card.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Our local club does not take cards. Cash or check only from members.

·
Registered
139 Posts
CC Absolutely! Lot of shooters like to run a tab! Doing this they may shoot another round at our events. Then they cash out at end of the day, works well for both of us. Then on Monday nights we run upwards of 100 kids through for our youth team, many of them run plastic. We do tell them $10 minimum.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
There are a lot of variables as to whether clubs should or should not go with credit/debit card use at their club.

For our local club, it was a no-brainer and we made the change to allow cards years ago. One of the smartest business decisions our club ever made. Increased our bottom line quite a bit, even after the expenses involved with setting this up.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
We started about a year ago. We add the CC fee to their bill so no cost to us nobody seems to mind. I think we use the square swipe. We are near a vacation destination so we have a lot of one time visitors.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts