Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing Rudy's punch he makes for the MEC's and hearing the great results here on the forum I approached Rudy about making one up for a Spolar, as quite frankly it is a weak link on the machine. I wanted one for multiple reasons in which he address with the CRS primer punch. The first thing I noticed with the Spolar punch is that it did not flare the case mouth out at all causing it to catch on the mouth of the powder drop tube and when I wouldn't catch that problem it became more evident when the shot was dribbling out of the side of the case that got messed up. I did purchase the flaring tooling from Spolar you can put on the powder drop tube but in many cases the damage had already been done to the hull before it got that far. With his punch it conditions the case as part of punching the primer out and conditioning the primer hole.

What really surprised me after shooting 150 targets there was absolutely no sign of soot on the face of the breach or anywhere inside the receiver. I am a person who shoots their hulls about 3 more times than I should of and yet with this tool even those well worn holes sealed up tight as new keeping all the gunk from the shells going back into the shotgun and using that energy to propel things forward.

Rudy was great to work with and we were able to come up with my prototype for the Spolar punch. I sent him what I had and a few emails, pictures and measurements later he let me know he had something coming my way. After using it for a bit we came up with a couple very small tweaks to make it even better. There are no machine modifications needed to use his punch. Set it so it just knocks the primer out, make sure the cup on the reloader us just touching the sizing bushing and off you will go with both a case that is conditioned as well as the primer pocket.

When you compare what the Spolar came with and now what it has inside that shell cup this thing is a huge improvement. I believe he is going to start making these so if you want something to make that Spolar even better, this would be it. There is no comparison.

It was so nice working with a person who really knows something about reloading and machining both and be willing to someone else's idea and actually act on it. Thanks again Rudy.

I ordered a 28 gauge MEC unit from Rudy while I was at it and have yet to test it but from the sounds of it from others here it works great as well. On to my afternoon project.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the original is the "Weak Link " on the loader as you claim I wonder why I haven`t had any problems with mine in well over a half million rounds through it ?.....
Perhaps I use my hulls a little longer than some. If the crimps were anything but wide open the powder drop tube wasn't tapered enough to fit inside without catching an edge.

The other benefit is the tightening of the primer hole.

I'm not sold on the Spolar just yet. It will load faster than my 9000's with the automate running it but the 9000 was definitely better loading less than perfect hulls than the Spolar was with the original punch. This punch has put it on par with the Mec when loading older hulls. The Spolar certainly makes some fine looking reloads though.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Spolar changed the diameter of the primer punch at some point. Older Spolars came with a punch that would flare the hull, approximately 5/8” diameter punch, newer Spolars don’t flare, the punch is approximately 3/8” in diameter.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spolar changed the diameter of the primer punch at some point. Older Spolars came with a punch that would flare the hull, approximately 5/8” diameter punch, newer Spolars don’t flare, the punch is approximately 3/8” in diameter.
I am guessing I have one of those newer ones. It is the one pictured. Sometimes a person just can't figure out why they make a change that makes things not as good as they were. That was the nice part about Rudy. He wanted to make it better.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think all the newer Spolars come with 410 punches, no matter the gauge. That was exactly my problem with the 28 gauge head I have.

Reactions: ezz555

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think all the newer Spolars come with 410 punches, no matter the gauge. That was exactly my problem with the 28 gauge head I have.
When TJ03 mentioned that they had reduced the size to 3/8" diameter I was thinking along those same lines. Less parts to make.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also shoot my hulls until the tips of the crimp are separated. The issue as the OP has noted is that sometimes, it'll catch of the "petals" of the crimp pushing it inward. If you don't correct this immediately, the wad will then get shoved down against the hull and petal and shot will spill out everywhere.

Does he make this for all gauges or just 12ga? Also, what is the cost?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At this point he has only made the one that I have. I know he is going to make a few more for the 12 gauge. I believe the cost is the same as the mec machine ones are. I'll be working on him for the other gauges for the spolar as I acquire the other die sets. You can send him an email via his website with any further questions.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
When will it be available as a regular item, do you by chance know? I looked and did not see on site late last week. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When will it be available as a regular item, do you by chance know? I looked and did not see on site late last week. Thank you.
I believe he said he was going to run a batch of them off shortly. I am thinking it might take a little time to see them on the site. Just contact him through his website and he should be able to set you up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts