Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I was cleaning the beast the other day and dropped the forend on the concrete floor in the basement. the wood now has a crack about 7" long running from the receiver end towards the muzzle. it didn't break all the way through, its still in one piece. the crack is on the side and runs through the checkering. does anyone here know a gunsmith in the Chicago area who can fix this for me? weatherby wants $130 for a replacement and I know it wont match the butt stock. not sure it matters but its a high gloss oil finish on the wood.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Check Mark Deprez, stock guy in upstate New York. He repaired a 3200 butt stock for me about 15 years ago (plus other stuff)......was pretty badly cracked in the pistol grip area and to this day can't see the repair. Google him, then call. Better than a replacement as it will/prolly look the same as your original. Gotta give him some time as the repair needs to cure.

Ernie

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
My dt10 certainly did as well as a good shooting friend! When I broke down and bought a new forearm, I sent it to Phillips and he did an alteration/modification on the new one! He assured me it would not crack again! After two thousand doubles targets and another 500 caps practice targets, there is not sign/hint of a new crack! Phillips is outstanding, quick service and more than fair prices! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
By the way, I would send it to Tron in a heartbeat or at least call him! He fixed a broken dt10 stock for me that even he did not think he could save! Two years later it is going strong and looks just fine to me after refinishing it! Yeah, I dropped and broke the damn thing!
Tom Rhoads

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Check in your area for someone that is a cabinet maker, or furniture restorer. It is a piece of wood and does not need someone gun related to fix it. I am sure we have all seen furniture, cabinets, other wooden items that have been restored and repaired beautifully. You probably have many options...... Larry

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yes, I think most DT 10's seem to crack. Mine split right along the grain at 45 degrees from the forfend release. Had to do a root canal using Brownells epoxy. I think it cracked after about 6 months of careful use. That's about the only downside to a great Trap Gun.
Devonian

·
Registered
796 Posts
This is a follow up to my last reply. I just checked my forend three and a half years later and it's still good. Make sure you use someone who really knows about guns and wood. Good luck.
Devonian

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cracked wood can be fixed, especially fresh cracks. But a good professional job might likely cost more than $130.

For repairs not exceeding the cost of a new forearm wood I had very good luck with using just super glue.

Make sure there is no oil in the wood/crack, gently pry it open just a tiny little, drip super glue from inside, let it run down the crack then put pressure on it to close. Wipe out the run over from outside, then wait for it to dry.

Remember the crack was from drop, not from stress of recoil, the crack does not bear any pressure, this is an easy fix.

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
You're looking at a repair, a refinish, and possibly recut checkering depending on where the repair is located and the manner in which it is accomplished. It is basically impossible that a professional quality repair (where the repair is impossible to notice) will cost any less than the replacement forend. Contact Weatherby, you may be able to send your stock in with pmt so they can match it for you, or if you get real lucky, they might throw you a bone and ship you a forend for free since they can't cost them more than 10 bucks a piece or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts