Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, searched and read several older threads regarding cracked or split brass on Win AAHS hulls. Seems like mostly in 28 gauge, but a few in 12 & 20 gauge also. Has anyone experienced this lately? The two (2) hulls I found them in were "once fired" hulls, so no idea on how many times they had been reloaded (once fired, not likely).

I hand inspect all reloaded shells before they go to the range, but was just curious if any have been lately, or an older batch of AAHS hulls.

Thanks
Jamie
20200601_160433.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
The couple I have came out of a fresh factory box.

Reactions: HymieP

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I had a case of .410 AAHS that ran 4-6 pre-cracked per box from the factory. It was a case of bad heat treatment, and Winchester made good on the case with a full retail refund.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the articles I read was from 2013 and said it was something faulty in the "annealing" process. I will be keeping a close watch on the new vs. reloads, that is for sure.

Thanks
Jamie

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
This is your lucky day! Report this to Win and they might send you some free ammo. How many cases/boxes do you have? Save the boxes they came in so you will have a record of the lot numbers.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
This was a common thing several years ago. The new shells would generally work fine and crack fully upon firing. As long as the new shell will chamber and fire, WW has met their obligation. Examining the new shells, you could see that they were cracked except for the last 1/16" where the plastic left the brass. The expansion of the brass on firing would finish the break. A very low percentage would be fully broken in the new box.

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
This was a common thing several years ago. The new shells would generally work fine and crack fully upon firing. As long as the new shell will chamber and fire, WW has met their obligation. Examining the new shells, you could see that they were cracked except for the last 1/16" where the plastic left the brass. The expansion of the brass on firing would finish the break. A very low percentage would be fully broken in the new box.
I will agree with this. I assumed the shell on the left of your pic was unfired. If it's a reload, you are out of luck. I think some of the Rem shells mention reloadability on the box, but not Win. There is no warranty of fitness for reloading with the Win AAHS ammunition. They have no way of knowing what any given reloader will put in those hulls and it would be crazy for them to make any such warranty.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nebs,
Both of these shells in the pic are reloaded. I am now going through the new shells still in the boxes to see if it is still a problem with factory shells. Never seemed to have this problem with 12 gauge STS and Nitro. Lol

Thanks
Jamie

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
The problem with cracking brass in the AAHS was mainly limited to the 28 ga. I don not recall anyone reporting this problem with other gauges in the HS.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It is "stress corrosion cracking", very common in 260 alloy brass. Usually a result of incorrect tempering of the raw material. It can also be the result of exposure to mouse urine or cola type sodas.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I have 20 factory, unfired, 28 gauge shells here where the brass is split. Will not chamber even in a O/U. All came from the same flat from a couple years ago.
Had a box of 10 gauge where every case split upon firing but at least they fired. Stuff happens when things are produced in such great numbers

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,026 Posts
New factory. Probably three years old. Found it when using it to display a shell holder I won. Should be worth a truckload of new AA's?
AALAWSUIT.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
I have also had cracked brass in new 28ga AA's, some after reloading. Not many ----- Never had one in a Remington or Federal. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
I shoot a ton of 28 gauge and have not had this problem , however I do have a handfull of 410 aa shells that cracked some before firing and several more when fired . Funny thing is the rest of that same lot of shells has now been reloaded 2 or 3 times and no more have cracked yet .

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Cracked brass was not uncommon with some runs of AA CF Plus loads - I had a few case lots with 2 or 3 in each box of 25.
Fortunately, the price was right and I shot them all up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts