Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to get rid of crabgrass short of digging up the yard? It rains just about every day seems like,
so it has really spread.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The last thing you want to do is kill it with roundup. First off it takes at least a week for it to die off and will leave giant brown spots where the chemical bleeds out from where it's sprayed. Also it sterilizes the ground and the seeds will not germinate for a while. Your best bet it to let it die off during the winter and attack it next year before it germinates again. Dithiopyr (dimension)is a very good pre- emerg just do it before the ground temps hit 45 degrees. Bayer advanced (Active: 0.41% fenoxaprop-p-ethyl)
also makes a crabgrass killer but I've never used it.

Doug

·
Banned
72 Posts
Try this {{ page.marketingTitle() }} I grew up with Round-up and am missing 2 sibs due to cancer. Round-up is a known cancer cause!

Mix:
1 Gallon white vinegar
2 cups multi purpose epsom salt
1/4 cup regular blue dawn dish soap
Put into gallon sprayer, if you don't have a sprayer, You can use anything that will spray out liquid, Saturate weeds.
I used this in the morning around 10 am went back in a couple hours and the weeds were wilting and turning color, a few hours later, bye bye weeds. Use this every couple weeks to control weeds, all safer for the environment, and allot safer to have around the house with children and pets.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
VERY much the reason I don't respond often to questions asked here on this forum! Best of luck!
If you disagree with the response to your post, put on your big boy pants and explain why you are indeed right. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, there is something wrong. For what it's worth, I tend to agree with your method. We spray some of our fields with Roundup and then fertilize and seed. Been working for more years than I've been involved in farming. Never tried it on my yard.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Try this {{ page.marketingTitle() }} I grew up with Round-up and am missing 2 sibs due to cancer. Round-up is a known cancer cause!

Mix:
1 Gallon white vinegar
2 cups multi purpose epsom salt
1/4 cup regular blue dawn dish soap
Put into gallon sprayer, if you don't have a sprayer, You can use anything that will spray out liquid, Saturate weeds.
I used this in the morning around 10 am went back in a couple hours and the weeds were wilting and turning color, a few hours later, bye bye weeds. Use this every couple weeks to control weeds, all safer for the environment, and allot safer to have around the house with children and pets.
Does this mixture kill turf grass too? If it does how long before I can replant? Thanks, ...Bill

·
Thorn in your side
8,113 Posts
The last thing you want to do is kill it with roundup. First off it takes at least a week for it to die off and will leave giant brown spots where the chemical bleeds out from where it's sprayed. Also it sterilizes the ground and the seeds will not germinate for a while. Your best bet it to let it die off during the winter and attack it next year before it germinates again. Dithiopyr (dimension)is a very good pre- emerg just do it before the ground temps hit 45 degrees. Bayer advanced (Active: 0.41% fenoxaprop-p-ethyl)
also makes a crabgrass killer but I've never used it.

Doug
You're using the wrong Round Up. There are at least 3 different ones that I know of right off.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Round up and 2/4 d are two different products. Roundup does not make a product that can be sprayed on weeds in a turf grass that won't kill it to.

Doug

Ps. Crabgrass is resistant to 2:4 d

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Round up and 2/4 d are two different products. Roundup does not make a product that can be sprayed on weeds in a turf grass that won't kill it to.

Doug

Ps. Crabgrass is resistant to 2:4 d
As I stated above, I have never tried it on my lawn. For my lawn, I have the lawn people spray it in the Spring for crabgrass. You are correct on the products. I should have been more specific. We actually mix RoundUp and Amine 2,4-D for our field purposes. I wasn't aware 2,4-D itself wouldn't touch crabgrass.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Edit: I've never personally tried it, but my neighbor thins Roundup with water and spot treats weeds in his lawn. He mostly sprays dandelions. I honestly don't know how well it works or what mixture he uses. He swears it won't kill his grass. His yard is mostly weed anyway. Not much actual grass in it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use a product called Q4Plus. It is a little pricey at $130 a gallon. Mix 3 oz per gallon of water, spray directly on crabgrass. Crabgrass will die in less than a week, turfgrass is unharmed. Have been using it for several years.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well I would have to see it to believe it. This is mixed 1/2 ounce roundup per 5 gallon water sprayed 3/4 inches off the ground. You can see where the chemical bleeds out no matter how carefull you are.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I do a two shots of pre emergence first about early march second around mid april. I`m just starting to see a little break through.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
View attachment 466082 View attachment 466090 Well I would have to see it to believe it. This is mixed 1/2 ounce roundup per 5 gallon water sprayed 3/4 inches off the ground. You can see where the chemical bleeds out no matter how carefull you are.
I get the same results as that spraying around the fence and shop at my house. A thin sprayed strip will end up a 6"-8" wide swath when it's done.
His yard is one of those that there really is very little actual grass.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts