Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend who wants to get into Cowboy shooting. He needs a period revolver and wants a model 97.

If you have guns (or recommendations), please send a PM.

He doesn't know too much about the sport...and I'm no help at all.

Thanks, Denny

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If he would just attend one of the larger Cowboy shoots, they always have plenty of guns and gear for sale. I have attended and watched several at the WSRC and there was some nice Cowboy action rigs for sale from the lever guns and wheel guns to the ' 97 shotguns as well as some Stagecoach SxS's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a pair of Uberti Cattleman 45LC with consecutive ser.# also a pair of Uberti Schofield 1875 45LC with consecutive ser.#. Both of these guns are about 10 years old but have never been fired and in the box. Give me a e-mail if interested.
Kenny at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I quit shooting SASS when I got back into trapshooting regularly about 7 yrs. ago. I still have quite a few of the toys around here. I have a 97 with two bbls. (original and one 20 incher), a Marlin Cowboy in .45LC like new, a pair of Olathe mule-ear boots in 9 1/2 D (worn three times) as well as some other items. I sold two Galco holsters to someone on here several years ago. Still have a set of custom made holsters ( both strong side for 4 5/8 in. gun and one for a 7 1/2 ) and who knows what else.

Fun game and good people. Your friend will have a blast.

Six Killer

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought the holsters AA Trap.

After acknowledging that I already suck at trap I decided to not take up another shooting sport to suck at.

Also there were no nearby places to shoot.

The holsters are for sale.

ed.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Denny, first thing your friend needs to do is chose a cartridge for his handguns and rifle. He needs to read the rules because this, along with type of powder, will dictate what category he is placed into.

And he needs two revolvers, not one. Plus a rifle and a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Darn, Ed, I'm sorry to hear that. Really wished you would have given it a try. I know things have changed a lot since I quit as far as the competition and equipment in the sport goes, but still some pretty fine people that I am sure would be glad to help you out.

By-the-way, what would you take for the right hand Galco? LOL. I hunt deer with a pistol and carry my gun in the Galco belt and cross-draw that I kept. Darn good holsters and not cheap.

Take care and shoot well,

Steve

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Cowboy action shooting is a lot of fun. If and when you decide that you want to be a serious competitor, that's where the problems come in. Not everyone plays by the same rules, or at least, the same interpretation of them. Been there and dun that.

GneJ

·
Registered
575 Posts
Steve,

If we had had a club nearby, I would have showed up and given it a whirl
About the time i had the equipment gathered, I had some health problems to deal with.

I guess I will keep the holsters as a pair and just shoot informally.
I traded one of the ruger vacqureos in on a M1 Garand and am enjoying shooting it. Even have a "M1 thumb" to show for it.

ed.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, thanks for the replies and the PMs. My buddy has his rifle and is looking for the other guns. He's doing a lot more "research" than I would (I'd buy now, grumble later) before he jumps in.

I've gotten some good advice to pass along.

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Jaqua's has a lot of them even some old colts like in the box unfired, priced right, and a lot of older 97's and other mod's he might like. they sale a lot fast check there web page gun list daily.

targetbreaker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts