Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some feedback on using auto heater hose to cover aluminum shotgun cleaning rods. The ID is 3/8" and the OD is 5/8". You wouldn't need to be as worried about guiding the rod into the bore, and the hose is solvent resistant. Any problems?
Harry

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I don't think an aluminum rod would cause any issues as it's softer than steel.

Eric

·
Registered
445 Posts
I made my own cleaning rod. I bought an oak dowel from Home depot. I drilled a hole in the end. Next I cut off the end of an aluminum cleaning rod and epoxied it in the wooden dowel hole. I got a round wooden ball from the craft store and drilled a hole in it and glued it on the end of the wooden dowel for a nice handle.
The best cleaning rod I have ever used!!!

Arnie

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Jim---I'd love to see your hickory branch and moss brush cleaning set-up. PICS???? LOL----Matt

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If your barrel is getting scratched, etc. by an aluminum or brass cleaning rod, you need to get a different gun. I have several brass cleaning rods made by Johnny Householder (sp?) and they have yet to even put a mark the inside of any of my barrels.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Subject: Covering cleaning rods
Email:
Date: Fri, Sep 17, 2010 - 10:07 AM ET
Website Address:

Jim---I'd love to see your hickory branch and moss brush cleaning set-up. PICS???? LOL----Matt

Sorry! I just sold my last two to a couple of backwoodsmen named Boone and Crockett....

Jim

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Jim---Darnit,, i needed one for my musket. What did you get for em anyway a couple a mink pelts and a coon hat?--Matt

·
Registered
154 Posts
Alum. will not hurt the inside of the barrel but will cause trouble when it lodges between the very tight hinge systems...

I cured it by drilling a hole just larger than the rod in an empty hull...

Place the hull on over the rod ahead of the brush , place it in the chamber to keep it centered down the barrel..

Works well and easy to make..

Robert

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Go to Home Depot and buy the clear neoprene tubing in the plumbing section and put that on your cleaning rods.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I honestly do not see how an aluminum cleaning rod is gonna scratch a Steel barrel. Am i missing something here? I mean on the hardness scale there is no comparison between the two. Heck i've used those SS Tornado brushes before and have not scratched my barrel. Is it scratching the barrel or rubbing the blue off on the outside of the barrel?----Matt

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Matt- You overlooked a major disadvantage of the aluminum rods. Every time I clean my barrels with an aluminum rod, I go out and miss a couple of birds in the next handicap event I shoot. The correlation between aluminum rod cleaning and missing a few handicap birds the next time I shoot handicap is 100%.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If what "Pat" says is true, it would certainly explain my caps scores.--Matt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.