Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw these a good while back on a gun club bulletin board. Good to remember ,I think.---- Please do not pick up someone else's gun without asking permission. ---Be on time when it is you're time to shoot, and don't keep others waiting .---- Please do not shoot extra targets after your round is done , this cost the club money and add up quickly . ---Please do not clutter benches with shooting bags and equipment. ---Avoid loud conversation behind shooting fields while shooting is in progress.-- Be tolerant and patient with new or beginning shooters, we all had to learn at some point ,and do not interfere with their shooting, unless it is to correct a direct safety violation. Try to be considerate of older shooters ,they may be slower than they used to be but, remember ,we will all get old one day. ---Please do not litter ,and always deposit all trash in proper containers . Please avoid foul and vulgar language around ladies and children. ---Be safe and courteous at all times, and remember that each and every one of us is a representative of the shooting sports .

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Saw these a good while back on a gun club bulletin board. Good to remember ,I think.---- Please do not pick up someone else's gun without asking permission. ---Be on time when it is you're time to shoot, and don't keep others waiting .---- Please do not shoot extra targets after your round is done , this cost the club money and add up quickly . ---Please do not clutter benches with shooting bags and equipment. ---Avoid loud conversation behind shooting fields while shooting is in progress.-- Be tolerant and patient with new or beginning shooters, we all had to learn at some point ,and do not interfere with their shooting, unless it is to correct a direct safety violation. Try to be considerate of older shooters ,they may be slower than they used to be but, remember ,we will all get old one day. ---Please do not litter ,and always deposit all trash in proper containers . Please avoid foul and vulgar language around ladies and children. ---Be safe and courteous at all times, and remember that each and every one of us is a representative of the shooting sports .
You left out the one that bugs me the most. People who mount the gun next to you while you are shooting your target. Blinders will not hide this most of the time especially on a right target. I see this movement every time. one eyed shooter. VERY distracting.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
I’ll let that slide once or twice after that I lower my gun and start over usually after a couple times they get the hint.

Yup, I am left handed, so it bothers me a bit less, but some guys are just horrible.

I do the mount, wiggle the arms & shoulders, un-mount, open the gun, take out the shell and inspect it, put it into my shell pouch, take out another shell, and start it all over again. As you say, they get the message.

That being said, I used to shoot with an elderly gentleman (Bud - he is gone now) and he would pre-mount, but he absolutely froze in place while you shot. I provided him with really light re-loads (he hated recoil as much as I do), he was a joy to shoot with and I miss him.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Arms and the Man, January 12, 1918
American Rifleman

Here are some more “don’ts” for the trapshooter to paste in his hat:

DON'T shoot too quick; get a steady line on the target and then pull the trigger.

AFTER you've had your shot let your gun remain unloaded until your turn to shoot comes 'round again.

DON'T talk to your neighbor. It’s disconcerting. Keep your mind concentrated on the work in hand. It's essential to good scores.

WHEN the time comes to change places at the score don't move until the squad moves. Give the other fellow a show (of respect).

DON'T let the loss of a target fluster you. You can't get them all at all times.

Keep cool and get ready for the next one.

DON'T get peeved when the target breaks as it leaves the trap. Take your time.

Keep your eye on the trap and pulverize the target following.

DON'T blame the gun or the shells if your score is not satisfactory. Remember that the question of personality—temperament and ability—enter into the
sport. And it may just be your off day. Such things will occur regardless of alibis.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Sporting Life 1914

DESPITE the fact that guns and powder are necessary requisites for trap shooting, the sport is singularly free from accidents, in this respect being far in advance of football, baseball, golf or even tennis. The reason for the absence of mishaps is the fact that the very first thing impressed upon the mind of a new shooter is that the careless handling of a shotgun is exceedingly dangerous, both to users and those within a hundred yards of him. The management of most trap shooting clubs provide fines for the infraction of certain rules relative to the intelligent and safe handling of shotguns. The custom has been for each trap shooting club to make its own rules, but recently a movement was started to obtain the adoption of a uniform set of regulations. In this connection Jack Fanning, the professional, one of the most prominent shooters in the country, has formulated what seemed to be an ideal set of rules and the Du Pont Company has prepared them on linen for posting at gun clubs. The rules for the gunners follow:

No. 1 Do not place a cartridge in your gun except when standing at the firing line in your proper place in the squad and with the muzzle of the gun pointed in the direction of the trap house.

No. 2 Place only one cartridge in your gun when shooting single targets and but two cartridges when shooting double targets.

No. 3 When changing from position No. 5 to position No. 1 at the firing line be sure to have your gun open and unloaded.

No. 4 When pointing a gun in the clubhouse or on the shooting grounds always open the gun and inspect same before pointing.

No. 5 Do not question the referee’s decision. The person shooting is the least competent to judge the result of a shot, as the recoil of the gun for an instant impairs the vision.

No. 6 Avoid being late getting to your place on the firing line.

No. 7 Remain at your position at the firing line, with gun empty, until the last man has finished shooting.

No. 8 Do not converse with your neighbor while at the firing line nor use any expression that might disconcert others in the squad. Loud talking or other noises should not be indulged in by other contestants or spectators while a squad is shooting so that they can hear same.

No 9 Do not refuse a fair target. In competition a refused target is scored or counted “lost.” The referee will, decide what is a fair or unfair target.

No. 10 Do not shoot at an imperfect target in competition. Only whole targets are to be shot at. An imperfect target is a “No bird.”

No. 11 Always carry from two to four extra shells with you to the firing line so that you do not delay the shooting in case you have to shoot at other targets.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
easy to request, hard to enforce.
mans nature tends to do as they see fit and to see and do what appeals the most. all others get ignored.

Reactions: H M

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
As a lefty what bothers me are the folks who can't
refrain from throwing there hulls or stomping
around after a miss. I'm like Donnie W and let it slide
once or twice. Then I'll wait until time to change
stations and I'll turn to my left and just stand there.
When they are looking at me I ask them to please
be still until after I shoot.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
You all forgot the people without a shell holder and bend down every time for an other shell and/or step back after they shot .

·
Registered
107 Posts
These are great thank you. I started shooting in February and have never actually shot with anyone yet. I have one question, so far I've been lucky enough to go at times that aren't busy and can have the entire field to myself. One time a couple asked if they could shoot with me, and I just let them take over( I already shot 3 rounds). My question is this-If I'm really not very good right now-what is the correct way to be a part of a group of shooters? Just tell them I'm new and I am terrible, so please be nice to me?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Slow—-just like anything else. Ask the group if you could join them. Let them know you are new to the sport but have shot some. Show the common courtesy that is shown above and you will be fine! It is much more fun shooting with others than by yourself. Do not be intimidated by others.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Slide, I always make a point of greeting the referee or scorer before starting a round and exchanging a few words. I find it helps to set the tone for what follows.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Thanks for sharing ! I think being courteous is important and our group of sporting shooters always welcome anyone that wants to shoot with us.We have met a lot of nice new fellow shooters and tell them welcome any time.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
My question is this-If I'm really not very good right now-what is the correct way to be a part of a group of shooters? Just tell them I'm new and I am terrible, so please be nice to me?
It's perfectly acceptable to let others know you're new. Omit the terrible part - they probably don't focus on your targets anyhow. Hopefully what they WILL do is coach you through the etiquette of shooting for both safety and the general happiness of a squad. Shooting with random people is a great way to make some friends around a club.

·
Registered
34 Posts
These are great thank you. I started shooting in February and have never actually shot with anyone yet. I have one question, so far I've been lucky enough to go at times that aren't busy and can have the entire field to myself. One time a couple asked if they could shoot with me, and I just let them take over( I already shot 3 rounds). My question is this-If I'm really not very good right now-what is the correct way to be a part of a group of shooters? Just tell them I'm new and I am terrible, so please be nice to me?
Two things:

We were all new at some time, let others know you are new to the sport. You will likely be pleasantly surprised by the response.

Read the advice above. New shooters who understand and demonstrate safety, courtesy and respect for the game and traditions are welcomed.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
since trap and skeet is a social game, it is suppose to be a practice in being proper in public and respectful to others in close proximity.
its an ongoing thing since people and crowds change. rules and guidelines are just that. they try to steer a mass in the right direction.
i offer my place as a classroom to beginners.
as i teach my students, i tell them to....'make your mistakes here at my range, so you wont make them out there" ...in the big world. as part of learning, i correct them a lot less harsher than the others would in 'big town.'
once they go out there, how they tweak the rules lands on their shoulders. until then, its my way or the highway.
and as it should be with clubs....do as we say or get out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We must not for get the infamous Blow down the pipe...........drives me insane......if you want to do that you should wait until a couple have shot........ spent shells should never hit the ground or bucket......pouch them and dump them after the round. I do every thing I can to NOT distract the next shooter......respect and courtesy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts