Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife handles the finances for her 93-year old mother. She withdrew $500.00; (5)$100 bills from their joint PNC account in Montvale, NJ and deposited same into their joint checking account with Bank of America in the same town. She was asked to come into the bank (from the drive-in) as there was a problem with one of the bills... it was counterfeit. She got the necessary papers from BofA, went to the police to file a report, and called the Secret Service. Getting a counterfeit bill from a bank raises a lot of questions... How many of you here routinely check the bills you get from a bank before you step out of the building? Chichay

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Did the bank make good on it?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I don't but I guess we should. A friend of mine got a fake from a bank a few years ago. Kinda scary isn't it - if the bank can't tell. How in the heck am I suppose to know - I only see a bill that size once ever other year.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Back in the 70's I presented a $100 bill to Braniff Airlines in Dallas for payment of a flight to somewhere. The Braniff rep looked the bill over closely which surprised me. He then handed it back to me stating that it did not have "In God We Trust" anywhere on that bill. I later deposited it at my local bank. Never heard another word concerning that bill. Was it counterfeit? Or just a mistake by the mint...don't know.

milt

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
From Craig's List. I received three $900 USPS money orders that were forgeries.

You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If a bank teller finds a bad bill, they will pass it back to the public so they don't get written up and reprimanded, or fired, for taking the bad bill. I dated a bank teller in my younger years. BIG JIM

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I'm in Los Angeles. The couple Bank of America branches I routinely deal with all use machines to count the bills before they make transactions, that machine not only count bills, they count the notes, you can mix $ 20, 50, & 100s in one stack for it to count and the total value will show in digital numbers. It can spot counterfeit notes at any direction and stop counting.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
50's and 100's are easy to spot generally. My wife has two retail stores, and we in recent times had someone pass a counterfeit 5. Why someone would take the time to make a 5 I don't know, and it only happened once, but be aware it has happened.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It chaps my rear when I go to the dollar store and they mark a 5 dollar bill with their pen..I know it shouldnt bother me its just business, I am going to get me one of those pens and when they give me change back i'm going to mark the ones..haha..

·
5,072 Posts
I'm surprised the feds didn't take the bill and have prints taken... with the bills having been passed so recently from the bank, couldn't they match up a full/partial with the teller to back up your story?!

Jay

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There was a great show about counterfeits a while back on Discovery, History or the Learning Channel. They said that some counterfeits are of such high quality that they believe they are being printed by a foriegn government and are nearly undetectable. If you get the chance, watch this show. You will learn a few very interesting things. I deal with counterfeits in my job and see some trends. Almost all counterfeits coming from the west coast are $100.00 dollar notes. Middle states and the northeast seem to generate a lot of $50.00 notes and the southeast generally has a majority of 20s and some 5s and 10s. Many times you will see $2000.00 come in and there will only be two or three serial numbers used in the east. You never see that in the west.

Bob

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I have been in the banking industry since 1972. For years I was a supervisor of the savings dept, for a large bank. I have never received a counterfeit bill from where our bank receives it money. In the late 70's one of our customers came to our bank and said one of our tellers gave him $100.00 bills from a withdraw that he made earlier that day from his saving account. One of the bills was a counterfeit. I looked at the bill, and yes it was counterfeit. I gave the customer a good $100.00 bill in return. We did not want one of our customers being stuck with a bad bill. We were always told in training that the last person who had the bill was the person who was out the money. I contacted the police and they took the bill with them, filled out paper work etc. The teller who gave him the counterfeit bill, we think obtained it from another customer either the day before or that day, but could not be certain. Recently, I went to Mcdonalds, all I had was a $100.00 bill. The person behind the counter stated that they no longer accept $50.00 or $100.00 bills from customers. Do not know if that is Mcdonalds policy now, or just that individually owned Mcdonalds.
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Just a bit off topic, but I recently took some change in to my bank of 40 years.

I ran it through the change counter, and it rejected the Canadian coins.

I took the slip to the teller, and presented the Canadian coins for exchange.

She said they no longer take Canadian coins. She then told me to take them to Wal-Mart or McDonalds as they will still take them.

I asked why they will not take the coins at this bank, and she could not explain.

Seems weird to snub our neighbors to the North!

Danny

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you get a $100.00 bill look for the Series. On the Fake one it will pass the black mark test but it will not have the S at the end of SERIES,it will be (SERIE)We get one last year at the SW Grand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was in a McDonalds in Illinois last week that said they would not accept $50 bills as counterfeits had been found in the area.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I go to alot of gun shows and I heard of a guy going to a bank on a Sat to get some cash to buy a gun. When he got back to the table to buy the gun they guy then took his $100.00 bills and used his anti counterfeit pin that he got from Staples and told him that 6 of the bills were counterfeit. He took the bills back to the bank and sure enough they were bad. Te bank made good on it because he was just there and the cashier remembered him. He was lucky.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In California we have seen $100 counterfeit bills that are $5 bills with the $100 surface printed over. Apparently they float the $5 bill over acid vapor and it takes the top layer of ink off, and they reprint it to look like a $100 so the black marker pens will say it is good. I train my cashiers to look through the bill into the light and match the president's face on the surface with the face printed inside the bill. The fakes have Lincoln on the inside and Franklin on the surface. Also check to make sure the magnetic stripe is there. If you deposit it into the bank, they turn it over to the Feds and you are out of luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.