Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife and I started shooting ATA targets ( circa 1973) Daily fees were less than a buck and targets were 5 bucks a hundred (lowest) to 6 bucks a hundred (highest). ----Today we shoot mainly in two states. One has daily fees" including ATA and state" of $5.00 and one "including ATA and state" is $7.00 . Targets (not counting large shoot ie. state, zone etc.) run $20.00 per hundred (lowest) to $30.00 per hundred highest). What is included varies. The two cheapest clubs provide a free lunch and give a couple boxes of shells to winners each event. The highest puts 1.50 back into high gun each class. We shoot in the South East. I know inflation has taken a toll on the shooting sports and no sport is "Cheap" anymore. It is what it is and As my kid brother always says "That's just life in the Big City" ! Clubs are struggling to make it as it is. Just wondering how this compares to what some of the rest of some of you are paying for targets/ fees. :088:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Well, let's see........

In 1972 you could buy a loaded Ford Galaxie LTD or Impala for $4,000. Today, you can buy a top of the line Ford or Chevy for $40,000. Gas was $0.30. Today is it $3.00. Typical non-skilled wage was $1.50 per hour. Today, it is $15.00 per hour.

However, in 1972 lead shot was $9.00/25#. Today it is NOT $90; it is $38. You did the math on the cost of targets. Seems to me like shooting is a bargain today......

I love this quote (author unknown): "The reason a dollar won't buy as much as it used to, is because people will not do as much as they used to do to earn a dollar".

M.D.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
According to U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, $5 in 1973 is approx. $27 today.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
There're too many things doesn't went along with inflation rate. (based on $5 in '73 is about $27 in 2015)

Non-collectable items:

Bread was $0.25 in '70s, and $3 in 2015.
1st class stamp was $0.08 in '73, and $0.49 in 2015.
A gallon of gasoline was around $0.60 in '73, but today it's only approx. $3.00.
Average house was $33,000 in '73 and approx. $295,000 in 2015

A typical SFH in the city of Manhattan Beach, CA will go up from $70,000 in '73 to $1,750,000 in 2015.
A share of Berkshire Hathaway A stock went from $200 in '73 to $210,000 in 2015.

Reactions: jerry missimer

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This wasn't meant to be an "overall" inflation rate thread. I think we are all well aware that inflation has taken it's toll on the dollar.- It was simply a question to compare a cost per 100 targets in different areas of the country from when someone started compared to what they are now now.

·
Banned
818 Posts
I got introduced to trapshooting back in 1975 at the Maywood Sportsmans Club in Elmhurst, Ill ... I had an FFL and used to buy cases ( not flats ) of Federal Papers for between $52 and $55 per, got 5% off for the ones I personally shot if I let the hulls fly ... I joined the ATA as a Lifer for $50.00 at the second or 3rd shoot I attended and joined the NRA as a Lifer at the same time ... I had to save up to be able to afford them and could not shoot the week I bought into both organizations, due to lack of funds and because the family had to eat also ... I think we shot for $1.50 per round (practice), cannot recall what the entrys were for registered shoots and the daily fees etc ... I used to shoot with some of the best damn game shooters in the country and it was a thrill to win on occasion ... It was a long time ago and many great memories still linger in my mind ... Things were different then, people were different, Dan Bonillas was the man to beat and you'd better pack a lunch ... Shot doubles with Big Leo in Mexico, Mo when he was only a little Big Leo, he was shooting in a sleet storm in a T-shirt ... He said if it was to cold to shoot in a T-shirt, it was to cold to shoot ... I would probably do it all again if given the chance but you never know, you know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Targets were .50 and club reloads were 1.50, so you could shoot a round for $2 shells included if you wished. Many shot club reloads and there never was a problem. The club owned a massive hydraulic pacific reloader and one member did the loading. Eventually most began reloading on their own because it was cheaper. Shot was less than $4 a bag, primers a little less than .01 when bought by the thousand, Red Dot 12 lbs. for around $21, wads were under $5 a thousand for plastic, mono wads were less. Hulls were hard to come by. Local hardware carried guns and components. Did we shoot more then? Nope, because it was expensive to us. Most worked for around $6000 a year or less. 1964.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
My club was charging C$3.50 (member price) & C$4.50 for targets and AA's & Peter's Blue Magic's were about C$100- C$110/case of 500. The ATA life membership was US$80. Always thought it was counterproductive and short sighted when the ATA jacked up the price to US$500. JMHO.

Ron Burr
Lethbridge, AB
ATA Life Member since 1978

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
1976: Practice rounds $1.00 12lb keg of green dot $60.00. 100lbs. shot $22.50. A new Pacific DL-366 cost me $335.00. My 1975 one year old 911S with 12,000 miles cost me $12,000 . I made 31K as a brand new industrial outside salesman. I bought my first Condo (brand New 2 bed) $21,000, and got married. And thought I was rich with a new company car and expense account. 1976 was a very good year.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
This wasn't meant to be an "overall" inflation rate
But it has to be.....

Like asking the question what does it cost to shoot at your club, and not wanting to take into consideration if member run or private, paid help or not, insurance cost, taxes,, one field or ten, number of active shooters, numbers of days open a week, mowing, $40 membership or $400, snow removal and on and on..............

By the way, shooting was never cheap. Never saw any Sears Roebucks employees in the good old days and in this day and age, not any Walmart associates at the shotgun range.

People also have more toys nowadays to play with, to include cable TV cost and cell phone bills. Heck, when I was a kid I never imagined I be paying for a bottle of water, so that inflation number would go from Zero to what?

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Yet AA's are within pennies of what they cost in 1976. All shotshell ammo for that matter is dirt cheap today, when you consider the real picture. Same goes for gasoline. Gas and ammo are the two cheapest expenses a clay target shooter has. Yet they are the 2 things complained about the most.

As I recall the cheapo black Remington shells cost less than a buck a box. I know I could reload a box of shells for less than a dollar. Back in those days good shooters shot Federal Papers. As they were thought to be the best shell. I reloaded Remington RXP green shells and they lasted forever. Well at least until the petals burnt off at the tips, and the shot dripped out....LOL I remember buying a case of AA's (500 shells) for less than $60.00. I may still still have receipts somewhere. Likewise, for Federal papers. Oh yea gas...try .65 .75 cents a gallon. Before the gas crisis in 1973 premium gas was .35 cents a gallon for my Olds 442.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts