Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a TC Encore muzzle loader. I like the idea of one gun and multiple barrels. I have been told that TC triggers are rough and difficult to work on. Most gunsmiths won't touch them. Is this true? Should I be concerned? Any input of TC Encore owners would be appreciated. Thanks.

ART H.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My hunting buddy and I switched to Encore 209x50 MLs more than 10 years ago. He has several centerfire rifle and pistol barrels and loves them all. I have only the ML and one pistol barrel and am completely happy with both. Mike Bellm (www.bellmtc.com/store) has articles and spring kits that will guide you or a capable gunsmith to achieving a light, crisp trigger pull if the factory pull is not satisfactory to you. I have shot rifle and handgun competition for over 30 years and have no issues with the factory TC Encore trigger pull FOR A HUNING RIFLE. In my opinion, the Encore is an excellent hunting package. -Ed

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I have an Omega and our son has an Encore - both triggers were satisfactory to us in their stock form and we are sensitive to trigger feel.

Ed

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
E. Arthur Brown Company has a lot of barrels and accessories for Encores. They also do trigger jobs for $75.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The trigger on the Pro Hunters are nicer then the older model Encore. My Encore I had trigger work done from a guy in Oregon(believe it was Mike Bell). My PH I didn't do anything to and is Cris and clean. Pull is about 3.5lbs. I have a ML. 280 and 7mm do it. My dad also has one with .06, 7mm08, 22-250, and ML. He uses his more than mine as I like to use my slug guns if needed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know if an Encore trigger is the same as a Contender trigger, but we used to work on Contender triggers ourselves for metallic silhouette shooting. We would clip off one coil on the trigger spring and then adjust the sear engagement until the gun would fire when slammed shut and then put engagement back in to it. If you clipped off a little to much of the spring, you could put thin cardboard spacers in the spring cavity in the trigger to increase the trigger pull weight. With a little time investment we could get triggers with about any pull weight you wanted. Generally we had them in the 3 to 4 ounce range without any trigger creep. Craig

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have had one for over 10 years-shot lots of deer with the Muzzel Loader as well as the 30:06 barrel-love to shoot it-Sent my triger to Jim Shot (google him) $50.00 & did a great job just under 3#-Bought my son one last year & sent to Jim also, Would recommend-I like because it remines me of shooting my shotgun.Have fun Jim

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a TC Encore 209x50, blued with camo stock and forend. It has mounts and is scoped. I also have a .270 blued rifle bbl for it. I had the trigger worked by a gunsmith right after purchasing it. It is very smooth. It shoots really well. I can't remember the scope. I know it is a variable but I don't remember brand. I no longer muzzle hunt so I want to sell the whole package. This gun has been shot less than twenty times and cleaned to death after each use. I will allow a three day inspection. Total price is $650 with or without scope.
405-392-3664

·
Registered
809 Posts
I bought a SS Pro-Hunter last spring It had a trigger pull that was worse than awful. My 12# trigger gauge wouldn't register It was finally tested at close to 15#. I have been talking to Mike Bellm, in Colorado about modifying the action & barrels. He has a fantastic website with lots & lots of info.
WWW.BELLMTCS.COM. He is great to talk to & offers lots of good experienced advise. I just bought a 7mm/08 from Ken Rucker in TX to try for mule deer this fall. My 50 cal muzzleloader shot 1 1/2" with the bad trigger. The Blackhorn powderbeat all the others, hands down.
Butch from Pgh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts