Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the fun and sun capital of the world, I have never seen more construction being done through out the entire state as this past few years as it never seems to end. Recently, after almost one year of inconvenience to neighbors and businesses they finally finished a stretch of road and reopened up traffic near my house.

One of the businesses, a well know known pizza restaurant closed down as the construction was right in front of it's doors causing patrons a nightmarish time to get to this particular restaurant to eat.

The road was finished and admittedly looked very nice. The other day, another construction crew closed off the street again and broke up the new road this time work being done by the utility company. It's like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing?

With all this construction going on I have noticed someone changed the timing of the traffic lights. Most traffic lights in my area were set mostly at two minutes. Now, it seems to be dependent on what direction has more traffic.

One light in particular that I was stopped at I had to wait 8 fricken minutes before it turned to green? I am fed up with all the construction plus I will no longer wait at any stop light more than 3 minutes. This is absolutely ridiculous.

My wife told me she will not bail me out of jail should I be arrested for going through red lights. My response is fine. She said your retired, what does it matter? It matters to me!

Would any of you remain at a stop light for 8 minutes? Honestly, I though the light was broken. BTW, I read a few years back that the average American driver waits 24 hours per year at stop lights. In my area it has to be one full week.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Steve,

These issues sound just like some of the things going on in my home town. We have one particular stretch of highway that they keep changing their minds on what the configuration should be...only problem is that it has already been completed when they decide to change it! It's an incredible waste of tax dollars, and many here are fed up.

In November, I'm hoping we can vote the idiots who make these decisions out of office, but it just seems to always be the same thing. The incompetence of some people is just unbelievable.

p.s. In out daily newspaper, they have a column on the front page every Monday that goes by the name "Lane Ranger". People can contact the writer of this column and complain about local traffic issues and it is then discussed in the paper. The writer of the column contacts local authorities who are responsible for the particular issue and their names and responses are then printed. It seems to have had a positive effect on some of the minor traffic problems, especially faulty "stop lights". Maybe you could get your local newspaper to do the same thing?

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Claypoppy:
Thanks for the tip. Breaking this completed road up again was a tremendous amount of wasted tax dollars. They finished on a Friday and on Monday the local utility company broke it all up again.

So many businesses are losing out on all this construction. Must be some law that they can not sue the state for loss of business.
Steve

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
It's a legal responsibility. The rule is if you must dig up the street for whatever reason you must close it up and repave it when you're finished. The next contractor must do the same thing. Leaving the street unpaved when you're finished sets you up for all kinds of liabilities.

·
Premium Member
11,996 Posts
Vis-a-vis traffic lights.

Most lights have hard wired timers - some have a trembler pad that senses when a car drove over it - sending a signal to the timer controller telling it the 'red' light had a car waiting - these morphed into a wire buried into the road surface that measured the magnetic flux as a car approached, and more recently a camera/motion detector that does the same.

If a light won't change try this - as you approach the red light stop - count to five and roll forward a bit and stop again (a sudden stop is best for the motion sensors). Typically if you do this a few times it will confuse the controller and the light will change. This presumes the light HAS one of these types of controllers.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Who has time to wait at a red light when no one is coming in the other direction????

DGH

·
Premium Member
18,223 Posts
The shortest distance between two places is always under construction.

Reactions: Rubicon_Joey

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Back in the 80's they were reworking the main road on hwy 17 in Ft Meade Florida, a 1.5 mile piece of road, they moved, packed down and moved and packed down the dirt so many times they had to haul that dirt off and bring new dirt in because they wore the dirt out (LOL). Craziest mess I have ever seen. Over 2 years to get done. Several businesses went out of business.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Who has time to wait at a red light when no one is coming in the other direction????

DGH
This gets under my skin like nothing else. With all the advances in technology, why are we still sitting at red lights with no one around? I hope I live long enough that autonomous cars are advanced enough that they only have to stop for emergencies and when they reach their destination. Imagine being able to hop in a car that :
  • Drives you to your destination at speeds that aren't limited by the human factor (not being able to stop/react in time, over estimating cars abilities, etc)
  • Doesn't stop because the car/road system is capable of manipulating traffic by slightly altering speed so no two cars reach the same point at the same time (ie a collision)
  • Is leaps and bounds safer because it's controlled by a computer that has the ability to process information much faster than a human brain (the cause of all current car wrecks).
  • Allows you to sleep, do work, text, talk on the phone, get frisky in the back seat, what have you, safely because the car can drive itself.
  • Gives those impairments such as blindness or other handicaps the freedom/independence to go wherever they want without assistance.
Now all of this requires some serious computer logic and redundancies to make it safe. However, I believe it can be done and it will be much safer than driving with sleepy/drunk/distracted/incompetent drivers all the while freeing yourself to do other tasks.

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DandyRandy:
Here in Wisconsin, road construction use to stop in winter, not any more as it's 365 days a year at times, or they close down roads for construction and no one works and it just sits with the barrels to make everyone upset.
Steve

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My father was in law enforcement for 27 years. My father has a wicked sense of humor. He tells a story that one day he stopped by some guys working on a road. While talking to them he say, " I hear you guys are going to be out of work soon!" One says "Why is that?" My father says, "Someone invented a shovel that can stand around all by itself".

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I feel your pain,man. There are 14 red lights on a 7 mile stretch of MAIN highway that I travel daily. It used to take me 9-10 minutes to travel that stretch when there were only a couple lights. Then we had "progress". EVERY restaurant,gas station,bank,shopping center had to have their very own red light. Now that same 7 mile stretch takes me 20-25 minutes to get through. My big complaint is that the YELLOW light is too short to clear the lights. I run red lights all the time but I know which are safe to run because I can clearly see all traffic waiting for the light to change. I don't recommend doing it and I haven't been in a wreck or gotten a ticket for doing it yet and I've done it for 20 years....I've also spent close to 10 years of my life sitting at the same red lights. The sad thing is that the damn state didn't have sense enough to create an access road to bypass the main highway but instead took that usable right of way to turn it from a 4 lane into a 6 lane highway and HELL NO I wouldn't sit 8 minutes at a red light.

·
Premium Member
18,223 Posts
Ever notice that it is considered bad taste anymore to use your turn signal.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Here in the fun and sun capital of the world,
I'm confused, thought you lived in Wisconsin................................... where the He$$ did you end up going?.....................................LOL

·
Registered
331 Posts
This gets under my skin like nothing else. With all the advances in technology, why are we still sitting at red lights with no one around? I hope I live long enough that autonomous cars are advanced enough that they only have to stop for emergencies and when they reach their destination. Imagine being able to hop in a car that :
  • Drives you to your destination at speeds that aren't limited by the human factor (not being able to stop/react in time, over estimating cars abilities, etc)
  • Doesn't stop because the car/road system is capable of manipulating traffic by slightly altering speed so no two cars reach the same point at the same time (ie a collision)
  • Is leaps and bounds safer because it's controlled by a computer that has the ability to process information much faster than a human brain (the cause of all current car wrecks).
  • Allows you to sleep, do work, text, talk on the phone, get frisky in the back seat, what have you, safely because the car can drive itself.
  • Gives those impairments such as blindness or other handicaps the freedom/independence to go wherever they want without assistance.
Now all of this requires some serious computer logic and redundancies to make it safe. However, I believe it can be done and it will be much safer than driving with sleepy/drunk/distracted/incompetent drivers all the while freeing yourself to do other tasks.
I hope you're kidding right ???

·
Registered
331 Posts
There's already a vehicle for people who are blind, drunk, can't stay awake, won't keep their hands off the girlfriend, or don't have the attention span to drive and not text, it's a bus, or there's a more personal version, a taxi. We already have too many people who can't do math without a calculator, retain nearly any information in their own head because they can Google it, write or spell a legible word because they have to type it with spellcheck, too many more great advancements in technology and the average person will be caveman dumb. We're going backwards now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts