Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long hiatus from trapshooting, I got back in the game last fall. I’ve been working my tail off trying to get back to how I used to shoot. I’ll run the first three or four traps and then do something dumb and drop 2 or 3 birds. Very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I'm capable of similar erratic shooting and have recently decided I may be moving the gun before my eyes lock on the bird. I keep getting more aggressive/ faster as I shoot a round and after a couple stations is when I usually miss one or two and that makes me go back to basics. Maintaining the proper tempo helps me.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I have the same problem. Have been trying to make the move to the bird more slowly, because I think when I move too fast, I will briefly cover the target with the barrel and then have to look for it again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I neglected to add a plug for Terry Jordan’s wall chart. I’ve had it for about 3 weeks and it has started to smooth my swing out. Great product.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Sounds like your mind/focus drifts away from the "event" if you are able to run 3 or 4 traps. I will also say that if you are paying attention to the quality of your "hits" there are probably signs there it is about to go south. Take a deep breath and reset. Realistically it should be one of the easier problems to fix.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Loosing focus and random thoughts at the wrong time are the main reasons many of us miss.
It takes discipline when you mount your gun to lock everything else out for the few seconds you need to call, see, and break the target.
Pete McCall could joke around, talk, whatever before he mounted his gun but when the stock hit his shoulder he was all business.
I’m still learning that I’m a failure at times and have been trap shooting a long time.

·
Banned
142 Posts
That's the thing. Everybody is different. But there is no need to try to force your brain to a certain place for the entire round. It's exhausting.

You just have to have your awareness in the right place for a few seconds. I start before the shooter on my left sets-up. I stop and relax after my target breaks. Kiner's tips on breathing really helped me also.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
If you can run the first 4 traps you have no problems, unless you are talking about 200 target events.
There to 198 or 197 is not too shabby.

My inconsistency getting it together and/or keeping it together. My main problem is I start thinking and loose focus on breaking the next target.
If I run the first station, I start to thinking I am running the 100, lost, start thinking 99 ain't bad, lost, oh well I did play the Lewis. LOL

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts