Trapshooters Forum banner

Consistency issues with 3 different shotguns

3K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Gil 
#1 ·
Hi All-
I am fairly new to trap. I have been shooting for less than 2 years. But I am hooked, and as it is usually the case, I have bought a couple of trap shotguns. They are a Browning 725 trap GC, Browning BT99 AR and a Perazzi MX 15 (unsigle). All three have the same poi, adjustable comb and LOP. They feel great and I feel I should shoot all the same. But that is not the case. I am by far a better shooter with the 725. Is this common? I consider myself a competitor, which means I will shoot the 725 until it falls apart. But I like the looks and feel of the single barrels.
Any of you experience the same problem?
jP

#6 ·
The commonsense thing is to shoot a gun in competition that helps you score the best. It’s very likely that the 725 is heavier and has better swing characteristics for you. If you really need to shoot a single barrel gun, try adding some weight and see if that makes a difference. While all three guns have similar characteristics, there may be some small nuances between them that allows you to shoot one better than the others.

#7 ·
Hi All-
I am fairly new to trap. I have been shooting for less than 2 years. But I am hooked, and as it is usually the case, I have bought a couple of trap shotguns. They are a Browning 725 trap GC, Browning BT99 AR and a Perazzi MX 15 (unsigle). All three have the same poi, adjustable comb and LOP. They feel great and I feel I should shoot all the same. But that is not the case. I am by far a better shooter with the 725. Is this common? I consider myself a competitor, which means I will shoot the 725 until it falls apart. But I like the looks and feel of the single barrels.
Any of you experience the same problem?
jP
Yes its perfectly normal for you to shoot one better than the others.
You think they all have the same poi .
How high do they shoot ?
Did you pattern all 3 and adjust them to shoot the same?
Henry

#8 ·
Hi Henry-
I patterned all three using the same ammo and their poi is 70/30
The weight is different: 725 weights 9lbs, the BT99- 9.9lbs and the Perazzi- 9.10lbs
The thing that is most obvious when I shoot the guns is that with the 725 my "sight picture" is much better, specially with left-right birds (position 5). What I mean is I can see my lead better and it just "easier" to shoot. With the single barrel guns sometimes it looks as if I am behind or on top of the bird when I hit them. Now is not like I am missing many birds, my average with the 725 is 24/25 but with the single barrels is more like 22/23. I clean way more often with the 725 than the other two.

I have seen and read the recent thread about eye dominance. Is it possible for a specific gun to prevent your left eye from taking over? While with other guns this is not the case?

jP

#9 ·
Hi Henry-
The weight is different: 725 weights 9lbs, the BT99- 9.9lbs and the Perazzi- 9.10lbs
The thing that is most obvious when I shoot the guns is that with the 725 my "sight picture" is much better, specially with left-right birds (position 5). What I mean is I can see my lead better and it just "easier" to shoot. With the single barrel guns sometimes it looks as if I am behind or on top

I have seen and read the recent thread about eye dominance. Is it possible for a specific gun to prevent your left eye from taking over? While with other guns this is not the case?

jP
Yes its possible.
I don't think it matters why anyone prefers one gun over the other.
Stick with your recipe for success.
Henry

#13 ·
For me, seems like shooting a top single which more closely replicates the sight picture and handling of Remington 870s and 1100s which I shot for many years seems to work better for me vs. an unsingle. Just sayin' . Gotta use what works vs. trying to "force" a change.

#14 ·
Oh yeah I forgot something, the old adage still rings true to this day! “Fear the man that shoots one gun for all 3 disciplines!” This is where the combo set came from, same stock for both barrels! Most all of the “Big Dogs” shoot combo sets for that very reason! Switching guns takes God given talent and/or a butt load of practice! Just a few old school suggestions, take it for what it’s worth!

#15 ·
My son shoots his BT-99 a lot better than his 725 trap. Says it feels more natural and just feels right mounting it. So, as any smart person would do, I put the 725 in the safe and he is back to shooting his ole BT. I will say when he made the initial switch from the Bt-99 to 725, it kinda screwed him up and he hasn't gotten back to where he was with the BT just yet. I'm hoping it will click once again like it did about July of last year. No doubles for us this year.

#16 ·
Not that my chances are that good when you're shooting the MX 15 or BT, but when I see you unpack the 725 I know I don't have much of a chance at all to keep up with you, let alone actually beat you.

I'd think you could test your eye dominance idea by simulating the visual of a top barrel on your MX15 by affixing some balsa or cardboard or something the length of the rib. Whatever you do, just leave that 725 at home!

#19 ·
I have had the same experience. I haven’t figured out my bt99 yet. Just don’t shoot it well. I plan to spend a little more time before kicking it down the road. I have a citoricx (obviously..[emoji2]) and a browning bps trap that both absolutely crush targets for me. The bt99 not so much?? I think it could possibly be the 34” barrel on the 99 not swinging well for me. The other two guns have 30” barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I presently own 3 guns . A Perazzi MX-15 a Caesar Guerini Summit Impact HR and a Fabarm XLR5 AR . Got them as I wanted a good singles gun, an O/U and an Autoloader. All have an adjustable butt pad, adjustable rib and adjustable comb and fit me as best as I could make them fit me . All are set up to shoot approx. 90 to 100% high at about 35 yds. Weights are 9.4 lbs for the Perazzi, 8.9lbs for the Guerini and 8.4lbs for the Fabarm. I have been shooting for about 2.5 years. I try to shoot them all as well as the Perazzi and I just can't do it . So the Perazzi is my go to gun and I play with the other ones . The goal in my mind is to shoot them all as well as the MX-15 . I don't think I will ever be able to do that. I tried again this past week with the Guerini. Going into the safe now. Back to the MX-15. Fun to play with and have different guns. But I know which two I would sell if it came down to keeping one.

#23 ·
I struggle with this as well. I've been shooting four years, with about 4,000 registered targets. My biggest deal is I love to trade guns and I know that is NOT how you get better!

Last fall, I bought a 725 sporting that I had planned to use to try skeet and sporting clays. My first outing with it was to shoot trap. I shot it great! Only problem was it had a lot of cheek slap so I bought a used Precision Fit Stock. Now, its the gun I shoot the best. I think the gun is freakin ugly and I dont like the shape of the forearm, but its the gun I grab every time I go shoot. I have a beautiful 687 Joel Etchen's Combo that just sits at home because I dont shoot it as well. At this point I would much rather break targets than miss them. So, I shoot the gun that gives me the best chance to break targets.

#25 ·
Hi Henry-
The thing that is most obvious when I shoot the guns is that with the 725 my "sight picture" is much better, specially with left-right birds (position 5). What I mean is I can see my lead better and it just "easier" to shoot. With the single barrel guns sometimes it looks as if I am behind or on top of the bird when I hit them. Now is not like I am missing many birds, my average with the 725 is 24/25 but with the single barrels is more like 22/23. I clean way more often with the 725 than the other two.

jP
There are many different ways to combat this. One eyed shooting, wearing a patch, or even something like this: Meadow Industries, LLC. - Since 1976 - Unique Gun Accessories for Trap, Skeet, Hunting and Sporting Clays
Though, I would say the best way to figure out if this is an issue to shoot a few thousand rounds with only one gun and see if its actually a problem or not. If you're not having the issues with the other guns I would be interested to see why, because I wouldn't expect eye dominance to care about what gun you are shooting!

Also it may be beneficial to have someone look at your gun fit.

#26 ·
Even if your sight picture is the same, the gun shoots the same pattern % high and the weights are close (yours do vary some but less than 10%), there are quite a few different characteristics of each of those guns listed. Lock time, Rib height, and weight distribution are the most immediate differences without ever having laid eyes on the setups.

All of that will affect how consistently you shoot a gun (and I recall you shooting some good scores which is great so early on in your shooting). So, yes, this is expected. Anecdotally, it takes me about 200 targets to transition back to my perazzi if I’ve been shooting my beretta MT.

The others who have suggested sticking with one gun are absolutely correct. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.